PA on Xbox One?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by KnavishPlum, November 8, 2015.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

It's funny how threatened some pc gamers are by consoles :p

Thing to remember with this gen, console is a pc. The xbone even runs Windows 10 ffs. So why not consider the possibility. I agree it's unlikely, but what's the harm asking a question? It's only a discussion after all.
    KnavishPlum and stuart98 like this.
  2. KnavishPlum

KnavishPlum Active Member

thank you :p
    cdrkf likes this.
  3. V4NT0M

V4NT0M Well-Known Member

Indeed, I lock my door at night to ensure the consoles don't get in. I'm not really sure what you meant by this comment.

Hardware wise it is closer than it has been in a long time, but as I said I'm just not sure it's entirely relevant for the two reasons I pointed out in my post. Controlling the current PA from a controller would be in my opinion terrible. And almost no one would buy (a cut down version of) PA on a console, barely anyone plays it on PC so it's almost an impossibility that this would ever happen. Meaning that the game would likely be mostly coded from the ground up anyway to make it an entirely different spin off.

Nobody said that he shouldn't ask the question, in fact many people directly answered his question and many believe that it has been fully answered.
    Last edited: November 22, 2015
    n00n and killerkiwijuice like this.
  4. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

The UI can be though of as 1/3 of the game; the other third is the engine, and the remaining is models and textures and animations.

That's a lot of work to completely remake.
    stuart98 likes this.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Simple, there is unfortunately a bit of 'tribalism' between console gamers and PC gamers (or at least there can be). I did get the vibe from *some* that this topic was straying into the 'how dare you defile our glorious PC game with this suggestion'. Personally I game mainly on PC due to being an RTS fan making it the obvious platform, however I've also owned consoles over the years and fully understand the attraction of a simple low maintenance dedicated bit of gaming hardware. Different strokes for different folks and all that...

Well remember that MS have just added keyboard and mouse support to Xbox- so no modification to interface required on that basis.

Ok this is where I take issue a bit- OP asks a question, and one of first replies is 'no can't be done'... so should the thread be closed and locked at that point? That isn't how a discussion works imo. You have said your bit, I agree it's highly unlikely that PA will be launched on Xbox One- although I was more interested in the *technical possibility that it could* (and I'm convinced that from that standpoint yes it can). The main restrictions are that most console gamers would probably expect game pad support even if kb / mouse is an option (so can't totally avoid UI work) *and* MS put lots of barriers up to updates and services over their network which is a big blocker.

Still if you think about it console and PC hardware is converging, and with the premier of Steam machines so is the ecosystem slowly. I mean the (potential) threat of Android consoles like OUYA prompted both MS and Sony to open up they're respective platforms to indie games. I could easily see Steam machines prompting them to revise some of their more restrictive practices in terms of updates and servers if Valves initiative proves successful enough (and PA *will* be available on Steam machines as an aside). At the end of the day, the closer the platforms move to each other, the easier it is for a developer to support all of them and target a much wider audience. That means more games for everyone and hopefully more revenue for developers like Uber to keep doing what they do. I find the current changes in the console ecosystem fascinating and I guess this thread peaked my interest. What's the issue discussing it further? I mean I suppose I *could* start a new thread but hardly seams worth it...?
    tatsujb likes this.
  6. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

lol, what? no, never.