Beginner questions

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garfieldklon, November 10, 2015.

1. garfieldklon

garfieldklon New Member

Hi :)

I'm playing PA since a few days, the galactic war. And I have some questions:

1. How can I determine if a planet is a metal planet?
    2. How can I focus the camera on idle workers? I can only select them in the left bottom corner, but the camera is not focused on them
    3. Can I increase the difficulty in the galactic war? So far it's way too easy
    4. Is it possible to change the angle of the camera somehow? Tilt it, so that I don't always see everything from the bird-perspective.

Mahalo,
    GarfieldKlon
    Last edited: November 10, 2015
    cdrkf likes this.
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

I'm not sure if I understand question 1. It's a metal planet when it's made out of metal, right? :)

As for focusing, the hotkey 'f' selects idle fabbers (workers). Pressing it twice will focus your camera on them. And generally, to focus the camera on selected units, you can press 't'.

The difficulty in GW ramps up as the game advances. Other than that, you can set up the difficulty at the start of the war itself, where you also choose the galaxy size.
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  3. garfieldklon

garfieldklon New Member

There is a big weapon building which you can only build on metal planet. I have no clue what 'metal planet' means.

Thanks for the other answers :)
  4. DeathByDenim

Ah, I see. It's this one:
    metal.jpg
    To use the giant laser, you need to build five Catalysts on those little blue squares. I've already build one in the picture. You can only build those with Advanced Fabricators or with Colonels.
    ArchieBuld and Clopse like this.
  5. garfieldklon

garfieldklon New Member

Ah, ok, thanks :)

Do you maybe also know how to tilt the camera?
  6. garfieldklon

garfieldklon New Member

Hm, after 6 fights the difficulty is still far too easy. The AI didn't attack at all! Not a single vehicle, only scout planes...
  7. ljfed

ljfed Active Member

Well you scroll arould the planet with the middle mouse button if that's what you're asking. Other than that you can use free cammera (check hotkeys in settings) but that's only good for screenshots because you can't control your units. If this is not what your asking than I don't think there is a way.
  8. DeathByDenim

That's odd about the AI. What difficulty level did you select?
  9. garfieldklon

garfieldklon New Member

I chose "normal", and then a few days ago I realized that this is the lowest...

Another question. Is there a possibility to spread your units automatically over the planet to do the scouting? I've watched some matches on YouTube and sometimes I could see, that units have swarmed. Is there a shortcut for this?
  10. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Area patrol - drag the area off the planet to do full planet area commands.
  11. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

Area patrol @ 58 second, plus other area commands, all very useful.
  12. goofyz3

goofyz3 Active Member

I think this dude his mind is just starting to get blown away by all the cool features :)
  13. garfieldklon

garfieldklon New Member

Ah, nice to know, thx :)

Next question:
    Is it possible to have such a mini-overview like in the bottom right corner in this YouTube-Clip?
  14. V4NT0M

V4NT0M Well-Known Member

That's PIP, just click the little globe button at the bottom right.
  15. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

ljfed likes this.
  16. garfieldklon

garfieldklon New Member

Thanks for the link :)

Next questions :D
    • When you switch to an attacked location, the camera is somehow readjusted. And it happens to me in a lot of other actions. This is very annoying, because I'm used to have always the same view of the planet/event/battleground. Can I fix the camera, that it doesn't allow the rotating that can be done with alt-middle-mouse-click moving?

• If the above is not possible. Is it possible to rotate the camera without pressing the alt key? Just pressing middle-mouse and moving would be much easier

• The umbrella has about 3 different range circles? Is this the likelihood to hit the target?
  17. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Regards the camera, the 'n' hotkey is essential.

This orients the view north. Do that at the start of the game, then when you jump to a notification you can just hit n to get your view lined up again.

There isn't a way to fix the camera angle that in aware of (well except pole lock however that tends to cause more issues than it solves).

With regard the 3 range circles on the umbrella, one is the anti orbital range, another is for the anti drop pod weapon (defence against unit Canon attacks) and the third is orbital vision radius I believe. I'm not 100% on which is which, I think the largest circle is the anti orbital range though...
  18. mwreynolds

You may want to try using a Camera Anchor for you main base.

In general you may want to take a look at the keyboard shortcuts in the game settings.
  19. goofyz3

goofyz3 Active Member

No worries dude. After 20 or more games you will be fine with the round world's. It's difficult at first but after a while you will enjoy it and you never want back to a flat map believe me.

And use anchors.
  20. mwreynolds

I agree the learning curve is hard, but once you get you won't wanna go back.
    Most people who say the game is bad just never got past the learning curve.