Thinking about the best in people and be happy!

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by violetania, November 2, 2015.

1. violetania

violetania Well-Known Member

There has to be an objective way of seeing what's wrong and right, everyone has their own right and wrong. But that right or wrong may contain elements of self interest/other.... one day hopefully humans will be able to quantify right and wrong! I suppose that's what ai is for right?

On a bright note.... someone on my stream ordered pizza and cake for me this morning so i made them a collage. I figured i'd share it here because it was so lovely =3
    http://imgur.com/envmlHx
    [​IMG]
    arseface likes this.
  2. proinegoproxy

proinegoproxy Member

null, replied to ancient post
  3. arseface

arseface Post Master General

My favorite part about this post is that it's objectively wrong.
    tunsel11 likes this.
  4. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

The problem is that most things aren't black and white, but instead shades of grey.

Most people may say killing in wrong, but then the devil can be in the detail.
    Is it wrong to kill in self defence or to save lives? Where do you draw the line.

Can the means justify the ends, etc etc.
  5. walmartdialup

walmartdialup Active Member

Regarding ethics, I am convinced that there exists an ethical standard that is true from an objective standpoint as long as humanity views it from a certain perspective.

For instance, if we accept the notion that humans and the entire world is composed within a natural world, composed of matter, then it could be said that humans desires sensations in the natural world that are associated with happiness. As a result, an ethical standard for all humanity would be to boost this happiness for all humans. (Deontology and utilitarianism both take this argument from different perspectives). As a result, it is every humans best interest to fix things such as famine, poverty, etc.

If you have any skepticisms of this argument based on the initial conditions, then I'm not sure how i can help you with this... I don't want to get into an argument about the matrix.

However, as many have described in various examples, how can this concept be put into practice? This is a question that has no "correct" answer... As an individual, I still think this question is still worth attempting even if some of the answers may not be the best method to reaching the solution.
  6. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

That, Mr. walmartdialup, is a nonsense. So it is objective from a subjective perspective?
    Anyways, boosting happiness for all humans has never been very popular among those ruling nations.