PA on Xbox One?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by KnavishPlum, November 8, 2015.

1. KnavishPlum

KnavishPlum Active Member

I know this has been asked before, awhile back, and that RTS usually don't do as well on consoles, the reason I bring it up now, is due to two major things that go in its favor, Xbox to windows 10, and Halo Wars 2.

Xbox to Windows 10 is huge, giving people the ability to play some Xbox games on windows 10. The biggest thing is Halo Wars 2, which is coming to both Xbox and Windows 10, cross play could happen and Xbox is to get keyboard and mouse support. While this is only a dream, this is really the perfect time for a second chance of RTS games being on the Xbox, depending on how HW2 works and if it does well, then PA could be a great Xbox RTS as well as being on PC.

Again, this is just an idea, I have little knowledge on making such games and don't know the full thing when it comes to this.
  2. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

Why not just use a computer at that point.... sounds more like a computer then

Playing PA on filthy console is blaspheme the end.
    Consoles do horridly when trying to be a RTS Exe. Halo Wars. I don't know why they would make a 2nd one when the first time on the console was bad (If it was PC sure I wouldn't mind) the biggest issue was the horrid Xbox controller which made fast and precise motion impossible +there was no click and drag more of a hold and small circle appears.
    Nicb1 and stuart98 like this.
  3. KnavishPlum

well, first off, I already have it on PC, but I am saying this as there may be people who have an Xbox who may want the game, just speculation, also, I am getting a PC master race feel, from this, consoles are not bad, an now is the perfect time for such a move because of the additions being made for RTS games ie. Halo Wars 2 and that the gap between console and PC are blurring, Xbox was always meant to have windows on it, and now its happening.. Also, it wasn't that bad, yes it was lacking, but still fun, I found SupCom 2 to be a good on consoles, that's what got me into PA and SupCom FA on my laptop.
  4. n00n

n00n Active Member

It should be obvious that this is the wrong direction to help PC games run on your Xbone.

But if you really want to play it on a console there's good news. The Steam Machines (and the cheaper Steam Link) launch is just days away, it has a better suited controller, has mouse and keyboard support & there's already a version of Planetary Annihilation available for it (if you own the game on Steam you don't even need to repurchase it!).
  5. KnavishPlum

ok, ill admit, I am not 100% on how the windows 10 thing works, I also already have PA on my laptop. I am just saying, that for those who can't afford a better computer, or don't want to get a better one, could play a console version, depending on how Halo Wars 2 does, I think PA should give it a try, since Xbox One is blurring its gap with windows and is cheaper then a computer. PA could get more players by going on a ...big console.
  6. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

How many people would you expect to play RTS's, who don't own a computer sufficient to run PA who also happen to own an Xbox one? My bets would be most people who don't have a computer that can run PA also don't own an Xbox one, but maybe I'm wrong here.
  7. KnavishPlum

This is all just speculation, I am not pulling the statics from anywhere. As an example, I do have a friend from school who I play Xbox with, who likes RTS games, but as a really old computer. Yes, those games are Halo Wars and SupCom 2, but I believe that they were really good on consoles.

And again, I have seen a few threads on here asking about such a thing. The reason I have chosen the Xbox is due to the news on how it will be connected to windows 10 and all the stuff related to Halo Wars 2. I personally would love PA on my Xbox. it might not be as large, A unit cap would have to be added. but I think it would be great.

Remember when people said shooters would never work on consoles. (I know, two different genres, but still)

And the steam machine thing helps my cause even more, its like a console.
  8. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

9. n00n

n00n Active Member

That would not be enough to make it work. Titans minimum memory requirement is 8GB (12GB recommended). The Xbone only has 5GB available to games.

Yes, playing with twin sticks is terrible. That's why they have to implement aim assist (along with keeping players segregated from the PC). Such things can't be implemented with the current style of RTS input.

Again this is where the new Steam devices/platform are knocking down doors.
    tatsujb and huangth like this.
  10. KnavishPlum

man, no one is open minded, ok, Xbox does not give 5gb to each game, where every that was heard is wrong, Xbox has 500gb memory, not 5, how can it have 5gb, then release halo 5 which is 60gb?

Second off, yes controllers are not as precise has a mouse and kb, and yes, aim assist is there. but once again, XB is getting kb support and also, and if that's not part of it, everyone still has a equal playing field since they would all be using a controller.

look... I know, many RTS games have failed on consoles, but Halo Wars was a success, maybe not in sales, but in how it worked. while many hate SupCom 2, to me, it was solid on consoles, it and Halo Wars are what lead me to PA. It could be done. You guys seem to positive about the Steam machine, when in truth, its a console. it may not be the same PA, but it would be a lot closer then what you guys think. Xbox can do it, its powerful enough. If may laptop can run, and Xbox can run the polished and beautiful Halo 5, it can run PA.

A unit cap would have to be put in place, while I am not exactly sure how PA manege's it, it would not have to be small, 2000 to 3000 in cap. I love PA on PC, I own it. the thing is, this is just an idea, it most likely will never happen, and if it did, PA on PC would not be shut down. it could be done.

heck, here are some quotes by the developers about console RTS games.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/will-planetary-annihilation-be-coming-to-consoles.46427/page-2
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/console-version.45768/

both give a logical say on the topic, which has been brought up before by others. and Deveopler Garat brings up a good point, it does not need to be a direct port, but a game that is based on IP of Planetary Annihilation (titans now). it can be close, but not exact. there is proof that it could work.

Consoles are good platforms.
  11. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

You're young and naive. The answer is still no.

Uber's barely doing anything with PA at this point, don't expect anything more because you'll more than likely be disappointed.
  12. KnavishPlum

once again, just said this was an idea. never said to take it literally. I only brought it because A) others have brought it up. B) Because Xbox is making a push closer to PC with windows 10 and Halo Wars 2. I am not just bring this up just because, I brought this up because the time is right. it does not need to be a PA port, but a game based on PAs IP. Uber has made some comments regarding it, and while yes, they never say, they are doing it, they never say flat out no. (even thought the chance is small). You seem to think Uber has left PA? so? is PA dead then? kind of hurts to basically be called clueless by a creator of the mod I was looking forward too.

I am not just throwing this out there because why not! The time is right for RTS games to be made for Xbox. if Halo Wars 2 does well, maybe it will be a wake up call to everyone who thinks RTS games can't be done on consoles.
    Don't think I don't know what goes into making a game, its not easy. it takes time, money and a passion. its not just stroke of a keyboard.
  13. ordinarypi

ordinarypi Member

RAM =/= hard drive space
    devoh and stuart98 like this.
  14. nineball1986

nineball1986 New Member

Ram and hard drive space are two very different things my friend. This discussion is pointless as xbox or even the ps4 would not be able to run PA, never mind the fact rts on consoles are a terrible idea on most occasions.
    I believe stuart is correct uber wont be doing much if anything more with PA after making a total mess of the sales pitch of the whole thing and inspiring hate onto themselfs from much of the fanbase.
    huangth likes this.
  15. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Actually that's not true. I think PA would run, although it would need some restrictions.

The cpu in the consoles is just about fast enough to run PA as is, though it'd be pushing it a bit uber could probably do some optimisation for a console version given the known hardware.

Memory, well both xbox1 and ps4 have 8gb of ram. I think the estimated 3gb reserved for os on Xbox is exaggerated, Windows on the pc doesn't use that much, also if a PC with 8gb of ram can run the os and game why can't a console?

Graphics card wise, xb1 equates to an r9 260x gpu, ps4 is closer to a 270. Those cards are plenty for PA, albeit at medium settings 1080p (my laptop with a gtx 420m handles PA ok after all and that is a much weaker card).

Interface is the main argument against, which is why I agree steam machines look like a better bet. Still it's not totally out of the realms of possibility imo.
    tatsujb likes this.
  16. KnavishPlum

technically, you can't blame the console if an interface of a game is quote on quote bad. again, this entire post is theoretical. steam machine, while yes, may have a bit more power, it id basically a glorified console. the only difference between its controller and the Xbox, are that it has to larger d-pad like buttons, and 8 main buttons, along with the center, start and select. and yes, this one has bumpers too. it has more buttons. I am not wishing for this to happen either, I just brought it up due to the circumstances of Xbox.

As said above, yes, it would not be exact;y the same, some restrictions would need to be in place. Like a unit cap, player cap, and maybe even a planet cap.

I will admit though that the developers have been quiet.
    cdrkf likes this.
  17. cynischizm

cynischizm Active Member

By interface he means a controller based interface. Thumbsticks are innately inferior when it comes to pointer based input (otherwise we'd use them instead of a mouse all the time), see youtube for videos of how slowly people had to play SupCom 2 on the Xbox compared to the PC. You'll also see that the interface had to be completely redesigned for console players.

The other big point is that it's simply not worth it financially. PA is a somewhat niche game within an already niche genre, notably a niche genre which attracts mostly PC gamers. The likely audience available on the Xbone or PS4 would not generate sufficient income to cover the cost of porting it. If all they had to do was upload it to the console software distribution platforms with no changes then they might just about make enough money to warrant the distribution fees, but even that is relatively unlikely.

If a simplified port to any platform were likely to be worthwhile then mobile would likely be a better choice. Limited players on a single planet or single planet with asteroids system could be an interesting way to kill some time on an ipad. Although the permanent internet connection requirement would be limiting.
  18. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

pls

Making a new UI would take months.
    stuart98 likes this.
  19. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

no for 2 main reasons ...
    1. rts on console being horrible to control with a controler .. and we are speaking about a game with multiple spherical maps which is already a challange in itself .. then considering how unwilling many would be to get themselves a keyboard and those being fully supported by the game ..

2. Planetary Annihilation being such a nichegame that i simply don´t see the time and investment of it to be put on xbox being viable to the company .. not even considering the hardwarlimitations

i just don´t see consolegamers being intrested in RTS that complex
  20. KnavishPlum

I do understand the niche thing, yes, PA is not what SupCom was, and yes they are slower on consoles, but that's what console RTS games are like. I still think SupCom 2 was an good console RTS, even if it was a port. that is the issue with console RTS games though, they are always get compared to PC ones. again, this was just a theoretical question. but, from that stand point, I don't think the limitations would be that destructive. I am guessing maybe a unit cap of 2000, with 6 players and maybe 8-6 planets max. I just wish PA stood higher.

EDIT: Just learned that there were layoffs a few months ago :(.

I knew this was never going to happen, but I was curious what others thought, PA just seems like a good fit to me.

I just hope PA lasts.

EDIT2: just as another theoretical, it would not need to be a full fledged thing, it could be a smaller version, like 4 planet max, 1000 unit cap, and 4 players. I also don't find PA that complex to play.
    Last edited: November 9, 2015