Kickstarter 2.0

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by DeathPhoenix2, October 3, 2015.

?

Would you like to see a Kickstarter 2.0 happen?

1. Yes

55.6%
  2. No

44.4%
  1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

The unit speed is controllable, they have a sticky on Steam about getting feedback on what the right speed is. Gameplay is pretty simplistic, but it's hard to say for sure because the real bottleneck at the moment is the UI.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Yeah this was posted back on the forums when it was first announced, and there is a large thread dedicated to it in then 'unrelated' section- you should check it out as quite a few of the PA regulars have been playing it for a while (as whilst it's only just on steam it's been available direct from the publisher for a while).

This game is based on the Oxide engine originally used for the AMD Mantle demo of 'Star Swarm'. It's also the first true DX12 game (which flies on AMD cards) and has support for the new DX12 multi card support allowing AMD and nVidia cards to work together (odly enough the *fastest* combination of 2 cards is an AMD Fury X primary with nVidia 980ti secondary, which beats out a pair of Fury X or 980ti cards, so evidently the engine is getting benefits from the different strengths in each architecture).

From what I've seen the game itself is a little limited currently, although to be fair to them it's still pretty early days. It's not really shooting for quite the same things as PA though (as it's minimizes the base building aspects, and resource generation is limited to a handful of points).

From my perspective, nice to see another player pushing RTS again. I'll probably buy into Ashes a little further down the road.
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

AFAIK:

Very limited base building, four resources, research, unit cap, no naval, hovertanks that don't hover...

Not really exciting.
  4. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

I also instantly lost interest when the developers said on their forums there would be 12 units per faction...
    stuart98 likes this.
  5. V4NT0M

V4NT0M Well-Known Member

lol
    radongog and killerkiwijuice like this.
  6. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

And yet it suffers from the problem of not having a kickstarter, therefore not having a community really at launch. Looks to have so far peaked at 155 concurrent players on steam. Can't get much of anywhere with very few playing it.
  7. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

To be fair, PA's alpha reached at most 300 players on at one time I believe. This is an alpha game, people are wary of those.
  8. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

looking at ashes.
    on http://steamcharts.com, it looks like the numbers are very similar to the PA alpha close to the steam alpha release.

I watched one of the casts, there are some interesting features so worth keeping a eye on.
    meta units - units work together as one
    multi threaded simulation
    multi threaded AI
    directx 12

Still not sure about some things
    not wysiwyg - it has upgrades
    point based win conditions
    tech upgrades to increase unit cap - i'm not sure what this adds to the game.
    No strategic icons - they don't think these help
    may only have hover units for pathing reasons
    control points
    rolling hills maps

For me not worth the over £30 price point currently, but it's one to watch.
    Last edited: November 2, 2015
    cdrkf, squishypon3 and tunsel11 like this.
  9. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

So you want to Devs Suck your money, I say No... and because of a lot of reasons, like the game not lauching on it finished state, and I don't mean only lack on content, but if I not wrong w/ some bugs
    The devs can make everything they want w/ the money they have now...
    Also if you want a SP Campaing both TA and SupCom (and it expansion FA) have Great campaings...
    If I was to suggest something would be:
    Multiplayer GW, like the SW EaW "Galact Conquest", but w/ better polishment
  10. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

I would happily give Uber more money for a KS.
    Uber did really well with PA.
    Some said (e.g. chris taylor) a RTS with multiple maps (planets) wouldn't work.
    I think it works really well, making a really interesting a fun game.
    cdrkf likes this.
  11. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

How do you know?

Perfect example of ignorance.
  12. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Hahaha

Then why did they just lay off several employees, including the AI programmer?
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Yeah lol indeed. Those steam users probably will be shocked to know that a stardock poster in their forums in a discussion about the reasons why AOTS will not have strategic zoom/icons after a while of discussing got annoyed and said something like "if you liked SupCom you will hate AOTS", implying he did not wish to further endlessly discuss with SupCom maniacs about why AOTS won't have certain features SupCom is known for.
    cdrkf likes this.
  14. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

Of course I don't know, but another KS is ask too much, I mean, found a game is one thing...
  15. judicatorofgenocide

judicatorofgenocide Active Member

Yes I would back another kickstarter for.............................. more focus on balance in economy in both 1v1 and team games. Economic play and aggressive play should both be viable. Next. Make multiple, many, then alternate avenues for planetary assault be possible. Next. Speed up game play, and limit x type of units on battlefield with reclaim options so game does not lag out when it gets to big. Meet these requirements and I will throw down 500 dollars towards next kick starter.