Why do enemy AI commanders not repair themselves?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by devoh, October 24, 2015.

1. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

When the enemy AI commander is below 50% health I would think it would get priority in being repaired over building massive armies, but that does not seem to be the case.

Uber any chance you are still going to do some AI work? I would think this would be easier to fix than making the AI not do stupid things like let its commander stay in risky areas. I don't think we can mod this behavior out. Thoughts @Quitch ?

Latest build 89755 with Uber difficulty 1v1 AI on Locked
  2. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Well, best route for this would be to create a RepairCommander task, then assign it the same way all other tasks are handled by the AI: build_condition checks. You'd need a CommanderHealth test too.
    huangth likes this.
  3. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

why should it? commanders don't win games, massive armies do
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

You could also do it, by giving the commander a "persistent squad" and make "combat fabricators" the only unit that can be assigned to the squad.

Then, the combat fabricators should automatically repair everything around them, thus the commander as they follow it. I'd think 4-12 units should be the cap for that squad. I also think that squad should also possibly be possible to form with "titans" if the AI is capable of building them.
  5. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

Though commanders can certainly lose them (which I assume was their point...)
  6. Quitch

The Commander would never build.
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Did something change? I thought "persistent" squads, particularly builders, could work without a full squad.

I also thought individual units in squads, could do individual tasks. Although, the commander's squad could ALL be given the build tasks of the commanders, and the combat fabricators would just follow the commander and fail at attempting to build while the commander did it's thing.
  8. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

True, commanders do not win games.. but dead commanders lose games :D
    tracert likes this.
  9. amphok

amphok Member

commander is too fragile, killing commander win games, rare are the games where you win because you have actually annihilated your entire opponent force, if you play against a not-noob player
  10. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

They are protesting against Sorians layoff :p
    Last edited: October 25, 2015
    devoh likes this.
  11. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

I noticed some other really odd behavior. I'll play my next game online so others can see the what I am talking about. I will admit that the scenario is stupid. I realize that it is not at all what would happen in a real 1v1 game.. I LOVE to turtle and see what the AI will do. 1vs1 AI on "Lock" @ Uber settings.. I take a force and crush all his metal, but I let him escape to the right of his base. All the while I build defense and start T2.. I then take another force with T2 and crush the AI again but leave him living but without the T2 it also built.. this is where things get strange.. The AI does not build T2 again.. nor does he even rebuild all his metal, he builds fabbers but just to assist factories.. The AI leaves half his metal unbuilt. I have pulled all my units out of his area.. all the way back to my base. If it was a human I would say he gave up because it stop being fun, but it's an AI :) The game I played last night went for two hours.. and the AI never went T2 again, it was VERY perplexing what it was doing. It had factories, ground defenses.. but would drive it's fabbers right past unused metal!?!? I'll get a game up that shows this.
    huangth and lulamae like this.
  12. Quitch

Once a unit has been assigned to a platoon it is passed to the platoon manager, which means it will never be issued build orders. Squads are relevant solely for the purpose of combat behaviour.

There's also a known issue where you either have a unit type assigned to platoons or working as a builder, it cannot do both i.e. if you have one AI personality use Combat Fabbers in platoons, no other AI personality will be able to use them to build things.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  13. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

yea putting the king in chess checkmate wins games too ... actualy that's THE MAIN point ...

the commander is not meant to be a combat or frontlineunit ...
  14. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

hmmm.. updated my mods including an AI one from @Quitch and now it didn't do it.. or I triggered one interesting edge case that other time.
  15. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Well, it´s a hard decision whether to repair the commander or not, for AIs as well as HumanPlayers!
    Of course their are situations where you´d NEVER consider repairing your commander, as well as their are situations where you definitely should be repairing! But the remaining part...
    ...pure grayscale!

Well, anyways, I´d love to see different "character options" for AIs, like Aggressive-Expensive, Defensive-Expensive, , Defensive-Protective, Agressive-Overkill...
    ...I don´t wanna have Def-Prot building their first AA-Turret before building their first Mex, but this could be something that would happen with claiming MEX #20 or so...
    ...could be quite cool, especially if detached from the level of difficulty!

But hey, without @Sorian... :( :( :(
    huangth likes this.
  16. Quitch

That can all be modded in.
    devoh and radongog like this.
  17. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

Perhaps a better fix is to allow the AI commander to regenerate health slowly. I would ONLY suggest this on the AI commanders in games(perhaps on Uber only).. not human controlled commanders. Like at a rate of 50% in 10 minutes. Just a thought as from what @Quitch is saying it sounds non-trivial to mod in commander repair units.
  18. V4NT0M

V4NT0M Well-Known Member

Because people normally GG before this even happens, is is very common for one player to give up because they know they can't come back.
  19. amphok

amphok Member

still too easy to one shot, i don't like to rely on one unit in a strategy game, where it is supposed to win by annihilating your opponent completely

chess is different, i'm not comparing an RTS to chess
    still waiting for a supcom spiritual successor were you simply start with one engineer, that you can buil later
    there is no important piece, all your base is your important piece