Boombot Precognition

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by Jackbandanna, October 4, 2015.

1. Jackbandanna

Jackbandanna Active Member

I've gotten into watching ranked replays and noticed something extremely lame. A boombot not needing radar or sight to kill fabbers. All it needed was a target lock on using a scout plane for sight, once the scout died it was still able to lock on and knew exactly where the fabber would be even though it was stationary the last time it had visual.

-Suggest you jump to the 1 minute mark-

http://pastats.com/chart?gameId=373627
    Remy561 and tracert like this.
  2. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

They have always been able to do that....I dont understand this post
  3. Jackbandanna

Never knew this

It's ok for boombots and presumable other units to be able track objects it can't see visually nor with radar?

I could like wall off a boom bot in my base and then just get visual of the com and tell it to attack. With it walled off it will never get out and I'll always know where the enemy com is. Seems pretty lame.
  4. elodea

elodea Post Master General

lol
    stuart98, xanoxis and wpmarshall like this.
  5. Jackbandanna

It seems like the red crosshairs only move on an invisible enemy when in chrono cam. In the actual game the cross hair are stationary until you get visual or radar sight again. But it seems like my actual units know where the target really is, like my video showed. Just I can't see the targets actual position.
    huangth and cdrkf like this.
  6. Jackbandanna

Riveting testimony, could you expand.
  7. huangth

huangth Active Member

I think this behavior is caused by server side.
    When the target unit disappears, the server doesn't cancel the order to attack the target unit.

I am not sure whether the bomber or fighter also do the same behavior,
    but I guess they do the same thing.
  8. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Doing that with a t1 turret was a common trick in Total Annihilation. You didn't get the target crosshair, but the turret always pointed in the direction of their commander.
  9. huangth

huangth Active Member

lol
    So you just need two turrets, and you can always know where is he by triangulation.
    cdrkf and Jackbandanna like this.
  10. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Sorry just laughing at how ridiculous this 'bug' is, not at you.

They've always done this - attack orders on temporarily visible units cause the attacking unit to act like a homing missile through fog of war.

There are a few big things wrong with attack targeting in PA, and this is one of them.
    ace63, Nicb1, mered4 and 2 others like this.
  11. andreasgg

andreasgg Well-Known Member

I was gonna brag about a hack but :p

Anyways it need a fix, but I still think there are more important things to do for the developers so...
  12. Jackbandanna

Yeah this is a smaller issue than I first implied. I tried to exploit this more than just taking out roaming fabbers and it hurt my overall game by diverting my attention, since the crosshairs don't move in game without vision. Apparently this is such an old bug that it dates back to TA, so I'm sure there are other issues for Uber to deal with.
    mot9001 and tunsel11 like this.