The Latest From Star Citizen (2.6, Star Marine, and More!)

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, August 16, 2014.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Yeah, I have full confidence that it will be a superb game. I played all Chris Roberts big titles when they first came out, he's really never made a bad game in my experience.

I think a good chunk of the criticism comes from people with no prior knowledge of him, or what he achieved in the past. It's kind of a backlash "huh who's this dude, obviously a scam, all these old people must be crazy". If only they knew :p All high quality AAA story based games can be attributed to what he did with WC3 and 4. He was also one of the first to feature branching story lines in his games (with multiple endings and multiple routes to reach them).

I mean I only just found out that Starlancer (an excellent story driven space shooter he made when at Microsoft), actually had a huge co-op campaign mode. I loved that game and I didn't even know it was in there. It's that kind of attention to detail that many modern games lack.
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

cdrkf likes this.
  3. cdrkf

4. Geers

There's a lot more but here are the bits where he directly responds:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14979-Chairmans-Response-To-The-Escapist
    mered4 and cdrkf like this.
  5. Geers

cdrkf and ace63 like this.
  6. cdrkf

I must admit some of Derek's stuff started to worry me when James Pugh suddenly got fired, however all the extra stuff he tried to link with that event simply isn't happening, and the recent multi crew demo looks very much like the real deal.

I think it's good CR has taken the time to respond to all this as well, evidently the staying silent policy wasn't working. Either way I'm looking forward to what's revealed at citizen con, very keen to see how sq42 is shaping up!
  7. Mirolog

Mirolog Well-Known Member

Well all of this stuff just make people talk more about Star Citizen, and it's a good thing.
  8. cdrkf

Well I like your optimism, although I'm unsure in the long run if this much bad press is good. Same happened with PA and it essentially killed their second kickstarter before it got off the ground.

Despite how unfounded all this is, the internet at large has decided star citizen is a scam and guaranteed to fail. The result of that is whatever they put out will be viewed and critiqued from the view point of 'they've screwed it up, let's find what's wrong' so I fear that even if it's one of the best games of all time it will get slaughtered by reviewers ' because it was late' (even though 5 years or so is perfectly reasonable for something like this) and because 'it isn't feature complete' (as most of the stretch goals, as clearly stated on the website, are due for patches post release but I'm sure that will be forgotten). It's essentially what happened to PA repeating itself :(

Evidently the folks doing elite dangerous worked out a safer way of developing their game imo.
    proeleert likes this.
  9. Mirolog

"folks doing elite dangerous" made a Galaxy On Fire (which is an Android game) with good graphics.
    Human Resourses failed because Uber has worst marketing ever. But they can make great games tho.

The thing is that I don't really see "the internet at large has decided star citizen is a scam and guaranteed to fail".
    Only something like PC Gamer, Escapist and IGN do that, because no one paid them to say good things. And some random guys like Derek, because they want to draw attention to themselves. I knew who is Derek Smart only after Star Citizen stuff, so it's working.

Here in Russia, Star Citizen community is quite small, but I never saw someone saying that Star Citizen is a scam.
    And I never saw anything bad about Star Citizen in largest game media recources. So there is no such thing here.
    cdrkf likes this.
  10. cdrkf

That's good, many of the UK / USA media sources are full of comments about star citizen being 'vapourware' and such. Hopefully it will blow over though.

Btw if your Russian, have you tried the excellent Russian developed space game start conflict?
  11. Mirolog

Start Conflict lol. Yep, played about 360 hours. It's like you need a half a year to get to the top level, and one more year to get top ship. Too much grinding to get end-game content.
    cdrkf likes this.
  12. cdrkf

Yeah it is grindy, although to actually unlock all the levels you only need t4, and the game is fun at most tech levels (t1 is dull but after that).

I actually think it's most balanced at t3. After that some weapon / module configurations become very op.
  13. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

DRAMA!

The irony. Also, may I just say that transparent development has been a nearly universal failure, spanning pretty much every genre.
    Geers and cdrkf like this.
  14. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

Yes, I think this is the correct word to describe this kind of video ;)
    websterx01 and cdrkf like this.
  15. Geers

Gotta love Derek Smart.

Star Citizen still has plenty of dev reports all over the website.
    Gorbles and cdrkf like this.
  16. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

All of this insanity has made me come out firmly in SC's camp - even for someone who was highly skeptical of their FPS Module excuses.

Smart's gonna smart.
    Geers and cdrkf like this.
  17. cdrkf

I think what we see on the 10th will clarify a lot about star citizen... Hopefully might allay some fears.
  18. Geers

Wait what happens on the 10th?

Besides me dying of dehydration because I've been playing the Battlefront beta for the last 48 hours.
    cdrkf likes this.
  19. cdrkf

10th is citizen con in Manchester. They're revealing stuff related to sq42, and are hoping to get the arena commander 2.0 (baby PU) out around the same time....
  20. Geers

Cool beans.
    cdrkf likes this.