Sniper: Body shot damage reduction

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by bhaal177, February 24, 2011.

1. bhaal177

bhaal177 Member

I'm very surprised they went with this route, actually. But after thinking about it, I like it. It keeps the effectiveness for snipers bot control but decreases spammy snipers going for foot shots. Good job, Uber.

*edit*

Though I am disapointed in the no irish skins and lack of drunk bubbles so far. Guess you can't have everything in life. :D
  2. Bakey

Bakey New Member

It still rewards the good snipers who can hit headshots (more doable on PC than console) and makes it harder for the spammy snipers all using ROF buffs to point and click their way to a kill on us poor tanks who can't get back to cover before we get bodyshot 4-5 times in a row.
  3. Raconteur02

Raconteur02 New Member

Yeah, being able to actually escape to cover before dying against a sniper who can't even land a headshot in 5 tries on a Gunner before killing me with bodyshots is going to be really nice.

I like the approach Uber is taking with this. Making one change at a time and letting it play out is a commendable long-term strategy. Likewise, I'm going to see how the changes play out for a bit before I make any comments on what I think.

On a meta level, the debate that surrounded this was amusing to me. It seems as if no matter how blatant the writing on the wall is, pointing it out means that you're obviously a terribad who needs to L2P. I'm beginning to recognize certain types of sophistry which serve as implicit confirmation that the issue being discussed is a legitimate one. It strikes me as funny.
  4. grimbar

grimbar New Member

5. MarkyX

MarkyX New Member

DAT RESOLUTION
  6. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Samsung 2233RZ (1680 by 1050 grid), played with 800 by 600 for a decade though, too old to change.

To add the to the topic: Bot killing remains unchanged, headshots remain unchanged, quickscoping remains unchanged. A source of complaints got reduced (the bodyshot spam) and that's a good fix.
  7. Akutare

Akutare New Member

Someone that feels the same way I feel when people point out I play at 1024x768? Fistbumps all around. I also feel Uber picked the best possible fix for this issue too.
    Last edited: February 25, 2011
  8. Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald New Member

which does more dmg to a pro now, body shot, or the explosion dmg from a sniper hitting a near by bot with passive lv 3?
  9. thebabelfish

thebabelfish Member

It's good to see them making incremental changes.

Did it change the explosion damage from passive 3 done to pros?
    Last edited: February 24, 2011
  10. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Explo-shot remains unchanged.
  11. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

The explosive shot uses the non-headshot damage. So it has been reduced as well.

I will say this once, do not let this turn into yet another 45 page troll fest about snipers.
  12. Esham

Esham New Member

Will have to test it out, although tbh i never really had major problems with snipers.

Having played a lot of other games that seeing a sniper = death i got used to it. maybe i will be more content and not dying instantly.
  13. Akutare

Akutare New Member

After playing a while I do feel more safe in open areas when the sniper doesn't land consistent headshots, now that the bodyshots don't take 1/4 of my health per shot now. Awesome update you've done Uber.
  14. tinygod

tinygod New Member

PERFECT i'm happy now... though I still think quick scoping is bad, but atleast now its not a spam to the body mechanic.. they have to be "that good"

and if they are THAT GOOD I wont cry about it.
  15. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

I lol'd today as a tank, spammed lvl2 product grenade all beginning of game at a sniper. He typed "quit hitting me, it doesn't hurt". I replied "every second you can't snipe, i'll be happy". Then, he got a lucky headshot, but I upgraded lvl3 product nade. First one I shot hit him, he didn't move cuz he was stubborn and thought it would be ok, and killed him. "Still doesn't hurt?". "Nope." Shot one against the wall when I figured he was coming up jumppad. It split, then he came up, then he died. "Ouch." "Felt that one I see."

Sniper were always not too threatening, now they are even easier to pick on. Oh well, thanks for the birthday present Uber, easy wins. (bday: March 4, 1991)
  16. tinygod

tinygod New Member

LOL, disguising a QQ, as a Pew Pew

Nice move
  17. goathax

goathax New Member

Oh, so really this nerf is even less than trivial because every goddamn sniper makes a beeline for that skill.

Jesus christ. At this rate, it's gonna be a year til they suspect something is up with Assault.
  18. Uncle_Coord

Uncle_Coord New Member

Wow boyo your either really dense, a pro troll or unable to read and had somebody read that out to you...

You can clearly in see in Scathis post that the explo-damage was changed, grimbar was mistaken.
  19. ohknee

ohknee New Member

I'm loving the sweet irony of handing this out to you in particular. Try scrolling up, Scathis just said that grimbar is, in fact, and as usual, full of it.

I agree though, this is a trivial nerf and it's kind of working around Sniper's glaring flaws instead of addressing them. Reminds me of a Valve shoulder pat nerf. Let's see how it plays out though.
    Last edited: February 25, 2011
  20. Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald New Member

so if im reading scathis' post right, then the explosive dmg does the same dmg as a body shot to a pro? Im just looking for info.

The more you know the better you can fight :)