Is the commander too much of a liability?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by V4NT0M, September 1, 2015.

?

Is the commander too much of a liability?

1. Yes

57.1%
  2. No

42.9%
  1. V4NT0M

V4NT0M Well-Known Member

Just wondering how you feel, I think it's almost essential to the game type for there to an ending scenario that doesn't involve wiping out every last unit.

Other people have suggested a supremacy style victory but I personally don't know how that would work but I'm interested.

I also wonder if there is interest in a commander upgrade system so that the bigger your army gets the more HP or abilities the commander gets. There is a mod that does this for FA as obviously people are interested enough in Supcom.

I think the main problem is that this is the commander of the battlefield and shouldn't feel like a china doll.
  2. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say the Commander feels like a "china doll" - it can tank a nuke. More victory conditions would be great, obviously.
    cdrkf likes this.
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

The com needs cloak (with a high every draw to give it an exploitable weakness), so late game he can be hidden to make the late game about more than just a snipe.

It would also potentially allow some nice commander micro in the early game using a large e storage pool to grant a few seconds of cloak when needed. This was something that was a big part of close quarters 1v1 in ta and I think it could translate well into pa too.

The key is make it expensive enough to prevent it being used much early game. Late game then moves focus to crippling your opponents power first, so you can find the com, which opens the game up imo.
  4. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

An alternate solution would be if we had the ability to have different victory conditions. E.g. destroy all factories/fabricators. To me it would make the game much more interesting and much less about commander sniping.
    nawrot and cdrkf like this.
  5. Z3K0N15

Z3K0N15 Active Member

Id like to add that the friendly commanders in galactic war are very op. Even on hard difficultry the enemy commanders feel a tiny bit easy as a result
  6. foxeye78

foxeye78 New Member

Check this idea.
    Give the commander (and only the commander) the ability to replicate itself, albeit at a huge cost of mass and energy. So that replicates are only feasible in late game as a mean to counter sniping.

How about it? I think it fits the game's lore too :)
    huangth and cdrkf like this.
  7. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

I think adding abilities such as cloak and shield is the way to go. By giving the com abilities this allows for new strategies and let's you use the com offensively. . Abilities take time to upgrade and render your com still but require energy to run. The com in pa is Def way weaker than sup com lateGame. I miss the late game fights where destroying the commander was a challenge and after killing the com you felt like you won ww2 lol Unfortunately I highly doubt Uber is going to do this if they did it should have been in Titans.
    cdrkf likes this.
  8. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

Commander is fine as it is. Game needs more victory conditions, esp ones that do not involve snipping of commander. PA with massive destruction weapons usually can avoind problems of SupCom for eg. "where is that last submerged unit of AI?".

And yes late game commander sniping is what makes PA multiplayer extremely boring and repetitive for me. And for versus AI it makes winning easy: locate commander, send bunch of any units there, done.
  9. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

Energy is meaningless at late game. Not a good idea in my opinion.

What the commander needs is some upgrades so he scales better later on without being OP early on. I did post some ideas on how this could be achieved but it didn't gain much popularity.
  10. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

If the cloak used say 20kps energy for example... The effect would be you need to kill their energy farms to find him. Yes energy is abundant late game, that's the point you have to cripple your opponent to win rather than simply ignore their infrastructure for a cheap snipe.

The cloak at that kind of energy draw certainly couldn't be used to prevent a team with nothing left prolonging the game indefinitely. I mean you could even make it more than that, 100k maybe?. The effect is the same though, make the key target the infrastructure late game rather than just the com.

I'd rather that then mega health buffs, personal shields and such, as you wind up with Rambo com issues then.
  11. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

the one thing i don't ever want in this game would be upgrades ..

just have the commander well ballanced so that he survives early rush pushes but also can defend himself a bit against some t2 stuff but otherwise be vulnerable if left alone

personaly i think he could do well with regen and a bit of an hp buff ...
  12. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

Regen won't work as you can reclaim him for metal. If the regen is not free, then all this accomplishes is to save a fabber from doing it.