These are the bugs and things that ruin "Titans" for me

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by timgilbert, September 12, 2015.

1. timgilbert

timgilbert New Member

Hey all,

I have spent so much time lately playing not only PA Vanilla but Titans as well. It is one of the most fun games I have played in the recent years and Uber Ent. did a good job. I have been playing Supreme Commander before PA and I think PA gives a whole new dimension to RTS games.
    Despite all that, there is a huge but; the game seems to be in early beta to me and it was the same with PA Vanilla. There are some details that just seem to be not thought out well or are outright bad.
    Just so that you guys don't think it is entirely my computer's fault: I have a Hexacore Mac Pro with 24 GB RAM and a GTX 680 which should do the job. Most of these problems occur to some of my Windows friends as well.

1) For instance, joining a multiplayer game is a pain. Sometimes there are problems joining, sometimes there are problems loading, sometimes crashes and stuff. What I'm wondering is; when you get the "Requesting permission" screen, why is there no option to go back to the multiplayer lobby as soon as you recognize there will be no end to this screen?
    Why do some people's computers crash when they try to load the system while joining a game?

This results in a lot of ending and restarting PA just because there is no back button when you're stuck. This is so annoying and could easily be fixed.

2) Random crashing. Sometimes it is a while in, sometimes right at the start, sometimes when loading the system, sometimes when it is really crowded. Many people seem to have these kind of problems and I suspect this not to individual faults of computers. First suspicion is always lack of RAM, but both of my machines have more than 16 GB RAM.
    This could fill up a thread on its own, but I don't want to complain about that too much, I can live with it, especially since rejoining is a pretty fast process.
    BUT - the thing that pisses me off is that sometimes when you join there are no units at all. All planets are generated and you can view everything - except all the units that you've spent an hour or so creating. This forces me to end the game, restart, rejoin multiple times and hope that I get the occasion where all works out.

That's not the only problem with rejoining though. We had the problem that after crashing, you sometimes get the "Requesting Permission" screen when attempting to rejoin, resulting in the **** described above. This could be resolved with a BACK BUTTON. But there obviously is no such thing.

3) Minor thing, but; anytime you want to go back from some menu, you always land in the main menu. Why is that? For example you clicked the wrong game to join and just want to go back to the lobby. Nope, please go back to the main menu.
    Are you serious?

4) Self-annihilating. Seriously, do you expect players to fight excessive wars on 5 different planets and when they finally manage to get that Halley somewhere unnoticed or fast enough to annihilate that we are able to calculate the possibility that it could probably crash into our own planets? This is one of the most frustrating things in gaming I have ever experienced. With other game enders there's no such problem, so why with the Halley?

Please don't get me wrong, in general I like this game. But especially problems 1 and 2 have made it impossible to play locally in a team with some random people online. Because one of us was always facing an issue. It took 30-60 minutes getting into a game we liked only to have one of us crash after 10 mins in with problems rejoining. After managing that problem and finally getting that Halley and being about to win the game.. yeah you can imagine the rest.
    stuart98 likes this.
  2. Mirolog

Mirolog Well-Known Member

About #4. It's even more frusrating whem your teammate kills you. And there are no ways to prevent this from your side.
  3. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

you can nuke your ally
    tunsel11 likes this.
  4. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Better suggestion: Play the game with premates!
    tunsel11, stuart98 and igncom1 like this.
  5. Mirolog

Mirolog Well-Known Member

I don't have any friends.
  6. sevmek

sevmek Active Member

1&2) I agree, the good news is Uber is working on bug fixing atm. You also should report as much as bug/crash as you can, including logs.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/where-do-i-find-my-crash-logs-on-os-x.69733/

The bug about units not being seen when you reconnect has been reported here:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/reconnect-with-no-vision.69947/

The section to report specific bug to Mac OS is here:
    https://forums.uberent.com/forums/mac-and-linux.107/

3) There is a mod which let you go back to the lobby without going to the man menu:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-client-lobby-live-game-faster-server-browser.63947/
    You'll need PAMM to install/manage your mods:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/pa-mod-manager-pamm-cross-platform.59992/
    cdrkf likes this.
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Click on my Sig and problem will be solved.
    igncom1 likes this.
  8. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

I really, really hate issue #2, and jup, #1 and #3 are annoying as well.
    Regarding #4---I don´t see a general issue, but I´d like to get more than one route offered+"passby collision alerts!
    Not a single gamer among your buddies?
    That´s kind of sad, it´s just like not having somebody to talk about music or movie experiences face to face---I just cannot imagine that anymore!

Anyways, joining a clan (like Stuart suggested) is a good idea to fix that problem!
    stuart98 likes this.
  9. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

tfw no irl buddies ;_;
  10. timgilbert

timgilbert New Member

Why would I have to fiddle around with mods for such basic functionality? I expect the games I buy to have some basic logic in their UI..
    Same goes for crashes and bugs. I do not really want to do the beta testing work for a game I bought as NOT beta. This includes bug reports, crash logs etc.
  11. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Tbh PA was really stable until titans. They added allot and its resulted in a load of new crash bugs. You have to remember uber are a small team, so it can take them a while to sort everything, wait for another patch or two and it should probably be much better.

Also, uber have dedicated a huge amount of time into giving PA excellent mod support so the community can support the game (as we did with TA and sup com). I think it's a bit narrow minded to say outright no to accessing that support on some principal over how the devs should have done it- the TA genre would have died out decades ago if we'd followed that logic.
  12. sevmek

sevmek Active Member

I'm surely biased: I do this with almost every software I use, including my OS.

I understand this can seems weird coming from the world of proprietary products where you're below the devs.

In my world, feedback is the precious link between users and devs, which makes softwares evolve organicly with users needs. As a result, the software I use often do not even care to get they're "1.0" release. Because when you're part of something greater, what the point saying "work done"! You're not alone here.

Let's take Titans as an exemple: it was first featured in mods. Uber took it and make it even more awesome. Mods are also a sandbox to try new ideas for this game, and sometimes similar features gets in the base game (same was true with ranked 1v1).
    cdrkf likes this.