Bubble shields in PA:T?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by philoscience, August 24, 2015.

?

Would you like to see bubble shields in PA:T?

1. Yes

63.5%
  2. No

36.5%
  1. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Hum. Maybe everyone is really busy trying to update old mods for Titans before the clean-out? We should all go post in this thread to request the feature, maybe some enterprising modder will take it up:

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/req-shields.70190/
  2. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

because shields are a bad idea?
    xanoxis likes this.
  3. philoscience

Way to act like your opinion is objective fact. Clearly plenty of us disagree. There is no harm in adding a mod so we can actually test out the impact. The fact is we've never had a chance to see how shields would impact PA, because they've never been in the game. Everyone theory crafts about them but no one really knows.
    DalekDan and nlaush like this.
  4. theseeker2

I'm not in opposition of a mod, I'm just saying that the modders don't think shields are a good idea, and neither do I.
    igncom1 likes this.
  5. philoscience

So now you speak for all of the modders?
    nlaush likes this.
  6. jurak

jurak Member

Dude, that's a ton and a half of bulls**t.
    philoscience likes this.
  7. theseeker2

Yes, since nobody is making one, we can conclude that nobody wants to make one.
  8. philoscience

You cannot assume that the absence of evidence (modders have not yet made a bubble shield mod) is evidence of absence (of wanting to make one). There are many supervening reasons why modders might not have made one - right now there are only four mods in the entire 'released' section. Modders are very busy updating old mods in time for the mod cull. You seem to really enjoy asserting things that have no basis as if they were fact. Maybe you suffer from the Dunning-Kruger effect ; )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_absence
    jurak likes this.
  9. theseeker2

I do, in fact, suffer from the Dunning-Kruger effect.
  10. jurak

jurak Member

So do I, but on the complete opposite end of the scale >_>
  11. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

As I've said. ASAP I will release a bubble shield mod. I already have more or less the functionality. The model and everything else will take some time:s
  12. philoscience

Sounds awesome! Can't wait to test it out.
  13. dudeinblack

dudeinblack New Member

I wouldn't mind seeing an experimental shield generator, along with the option to enable/disable it and anything else, including for the AI skirmish games
  14. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

It should be possible to do so. It is essentially a point defense anti ammo unit. So just having the effect correlate with the range of the weapon and make it waste energy when firing and you have a working shield. The problem that I find is that with this method there is no way to make bombs and such things explode when hiting the dome. As the range is meassured as a portin of a sphere, it woulfd hit things that are far beyond the intended radiuos :s.

Imagine the sxx laser being countered, it would dissapear way before it hits the dome...
  15. tesseracta

tesseracta Active Member

16. philoscience

Something i'm quite curious about is how much work would need to go into various implementations. I get the sense that a very dynamic implementation, for example stopping individual projectiles and having a dynamic health, may be very difficult. I'm not sure though.
  17. rancor47

rancor47 Member

What about ammo inside the dome? can you put a minimum on the range of the point defence?
  18. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

I really, really love that answer; if you suffer from Dunning-Kruger your post cannot be meant serious, as you wouldn´t be able to tell this, but if you don´t, your post isn´t meant serious either!
    :cool::cool::cool:
  19. tenaciousc

tenaciousc Active Member

I think some cool ideas for bubble shields are:

1. Shield bubble shrinks radius and height with damage. Once depleted has to recharge.

2. Shield bubble shrinks on timer. You get one minute of bubble shield. Has to recharge. If you play Team Fortress 2, think of the Spy's cloak ability.

3. Shield is not a bubble but more like the new nano swarm. It absorbs incoming fire for a while then dissipates.

4. Shield is only one axis. Either a cylinder with no top or a top with no walls. Like a giant pancake over your base/building/area but exposed to ground attack or like a Pringles tube without the cover that can be hit by air/orbital but protected from ground. Maybe it's switchable between the two.
  20. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

We decided it wouldnt be worth the effort. Shields would turn the balance on its head. Directional shields, however, are probably okay.

We can do it and I remember how, it just won't be a bubble shield per se - more of a universal weapon that shoots down marked projectiles only. The shield part would be an aesthetic.

TLDR: too damn lazy
    stuart98 likes this.