Toggle Area/Line build

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by master2112, August 30, 2015.

?

Do you want this? for devs to see how many want this, and decide if it's worth the time to implement

1. Yes!

94.7%
  2. Nope.

5.3%
  1. master2112

master2112 New Member

Greetings!

After some searching if this was possible, I stumbled on a thread that said something like this was to be added around January 2015.
    Basically, what I'd like is that when you're dragging to either make a line or an area command for building, you can right-click while holding the left mouse button to switch between area-build and line-build. (and, if possible, on-circle where you get a circle of turrets for example which is not filled in, unlike the current area command)

Anyone know anything about it? If devs currently have more pressing things to do would anyone know if this can be done through modding? Or is it in-game already and am I just failing to find it?
    captain81, eagle722 and Elate like this.
  2. V4NT0M

V4NT0M Well-Known Member

Yea, seems kinda arbitrary.
  3. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

When do you want to change the area build mode? Can you be specific?
  4. master2112

master2112 New Member

While dragging with the left mouse button (area build/line build basically) press right bouse button to switch was my best idea, since RMB currently has no function in this context. (Also the first button I tried to see if it existed already)
  5. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Personally I like how storage is a line build when space is tight, but when I have a lot of room to build, circle build is very efficient and pretty :)
  6. tracert

tracert Member

I misread the OP and voted yes. I'd like to vote no because I like having mines and storage buildings built as lines.
  7. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I think you misunderstood the title. By "toggle" he/she means to be able to switch line area build to circle area build and vice-versa.
    stuart98 likes this.
  8. tracert

tracert Member

I understand that, but for me I can't think of a use for it so I'd like the interface to be kept simple.
  9. V4NT0M

V4NT0M Well-Known Member

So if mines and storage buildings were by default circular you still wouldn't want the extra choice to build them in a line?
  10. master2112

master2112 New Member

While it is true that this is a toggle, and while it probably wouldn't bother him if it were available, "No" doesn't mean "I oppose this idea", and I think he just means "I don't feel the need for this", which is exactly what the "no" was for.

No problem with people not needing this feature, having the option to say "no" is also kinda important to gauge how many people would use this feature.

I assume that when you drag it defaults to whatever was set up for that building, and you can press RMB to toggle it. If you wouldn't use it you proably wouldn't even know it was there, which means that people that don't want to use the feature won't have problems with it, hopefully.
  11. V4NT0M

V4NT0M Well-Known Member

I assumed that to avoid confusion there would be a default line or circle across the board which could then be toggled.

I can imagine it could get a bit confusing otherwise.

I think the best solution would be an option in the settings so that to people happy with the way it they would notice no difference and then you could enable a default instead if you wished. Then toggle from there.
  12. tracert

tracert Member

When they were in Classic I had mods to make them build in lines. In Titans I use Elodea's 'land mine line build' mod.

If the majority want a toggle then I'd like it added too. The more players happy with, and getting the most out of the UI the better. I just don't think I'll use it.
    Last edited: September 1, 2015
  13. nateious

nateious Active Member

Personally, I wish I could change the spacing between line builds like you could with the TA Demo recorder line building functionality.
  14. n00n

n00n Active Member

This would be unusable for wacom/tablet users whom have a rocker switch.

It would also take longer than desired to place the mines. The use of (something like) the control key which could be held before &/or during the drag operation would be preferable.
  15. master2112

master2112 New Member

Though I'd argue you shouldn't make the devs take a wacom tablet into account for an RTS-game, making it a re-bindable modifier key would probably be the best solution for everyone. I bind it to RMB, you bind it to ctrl, and the rest pick whichever key they like. This way everyone should be able to use it.
  16. lafncow

lafncow Active Member

The hollow circle mode is interesting and would be cool for turrets, anchors, walls, torpedo launchers, land mines, etc.
  17. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

What should happen when you drag a circle-build over the edge of the planet?