Suggestion: turn asteroids into big nukes

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by philoscience, September 1, 2015.

?

Would you prefer:

1. Asteroids as they are now

27.9%
  2. Asteroids as big nukes

72.1%
  1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

You don't seem to understand, what they mean is they can't figure a way to get the craters to work without either killing off the unit stepping into the crater, or making the crater this weird floaty bit of pathing.

This is because dynamically set brushes are impossible currently with PA's engine, and they don't have the resources to put work into it.
    stuart98 likes this.
  2. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

What exactly don't I understand about the fact that craters were perfectly serviceable for a year until they were suddenly removed for NO justifiable reason?

No one cares if they are a little janky, it didn't negatively affect gameplay at all. Removing them however is pretty much the single worst change they could have done to the game! And that's both for reasons of balance AND creativity/fun.
    ace63 likes this.
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

they weren't serviceable ..
    it has been explained nummerus times why and it DID impact gameplay ... with units either floating over or just randomly dieing around the crater ..

no, people DID care that they were very janky
    Last edited: September 4, 2015
    stuart98 likes this.
  4. MrTBSC

one thing i generaly disagree with is to turn asteroids purely into nukes ...
    they are a spawnable weapon that gives incentive for conquering on arrival unlike planets that can be conquered from the very beginning ..
    if asteroids were nukes only then what good would be nukes for?

would be another reason for me to stick with planetbusting primarily ...
  5. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

That can be easily balanced by making nukes cheaper...
  6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

They were removed because it looked incredibly unprofessional.
    stuart98 and MrTBSC like this.
  7. MrTBSC

you still would have to adjust antinukes to that .. and still if the price were to how it should be why go for easy counterable nukes when you basicaly have a larger unstoppable one ...
  8. ace63

Thats the entire point - cheap, stoppable nukes vs. a huge, unstoppable (but much more expensive and harder to acquire) nuke.
  9. MrTBSC

boring actualy like seriously moons that only had partial destruction were like the least fun .. also barely used at all ...

the point of asteroids generaly should be battlefieldreduction or removal like was shown in the concepttrailer
    stuart98 likes this.
  10. ace63

They were barely used because the implementation was completely broken. I found the craters much more fun than what we currently have. "Boring actually" is not even an argument here, its just your personal opinion, just like mine.
    But: The craters WERE battlefield reduction, much more than the current "destroy the entire planet" smashes, since those end the game anyway in 95%of all cases.

Instead, now we have three redundant ways of completely destroying an entire planet. THAT is actually "boring".

Also, can we please stop using this "it was in the concepttrailer" argument? There was a lot of stuff in there we never got.
    lafncow likes this.
  11. MrTBSC

of course its opinion.. imo the ragnarog nor current asteroids nor annihilaser are redundand at all .. they all have a clear purpuse

the craters weren't battlefield reduction at all you still were able to navigate and build on them .. the actual implematation simply wasn't there ..
    destroying planets, denying both resources and buildspace is clear battlefield removal and as such has clear strategic value ...
    turning asteroids into another nuke would be nothing but just adding one more way to destroy stuff on a planets surface to the 60 or so other ways we can do already ..

so in that case since having lavafilled battlefield- and resourcedenying craters are and will not be a thing for a unknown long period of time, its better to have asteroids be planetbusters or global wiping the least ..
  12. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

They are redundant, because they all do the exact same thing, with the exact same animation even! In fact the Annihilaser is the redundant one right now since no one bothers building 5 expensive Catalysts when a single Halley will do the same job.

And of COURSE the craters had a strategic purpose beyond killing things, they removed all metal under them! In all my hundreds of games, I've never seen anyone build on a crater, because there's no reason to.

There's 3 ways to destroy the whole planet and exactly zero ways to do massive surface/crater damage. Nukes are barely a bug bite on a huge planet.
    Everfades and ace63 like this.
  13. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

BANG!
    upload_2015-9-6_5-1-5.jpeg
    wrong choice mistah!
    Antiglow and stuart98 like this.
  14. Everfades

Everfades New Member

They have the resources now with the titans expansion selling quiet well. I really hope they will put proportional smashing back in. :) It worked quiet good for me putting buildings into craters though. The only thing which didn't quiet work was flying and orbital layers, those didn't change. But that really was just a graphical issue and gameplay wise it worked just fine.
  15. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

That is quite an inference there. We don't know anything about Uber's finances and we shouldn't presume to. Jables said he was 'happy with sales'. That doesn't mean there is money in the budget to fix something the devs have indicated is a deep seated engine problem. Given what they've said, if it comes down to adding more new content versuing fixing this one, it's clear which way they will go. I still think they should change the asteroids in a minimal way that makes them more interesting for gameplay, aka make them nukes.
  16. vermin009

vermin009 New Member

Hi everyone.
    Very interesting discussion. I feel I must contribute.
    Bad luck the cratering system doesn't work but that's life.
    I go for the asteroids as big nukes and moveable planets/moons as planet killers. I think asteroids should be made much smaller (radius 50 or less). As the asteroids are in infinite supply they need to be countered (they are way too easy to build) and could be countered by a nuke missile, just target the offending asteroid and it's completely destroyed. You should also be able to hit gas giants, just statistical chance for hitting any structures, friend or foe. Maybe that for all planets hit with asteroids(they are infinite).
    In this scenario you couldn't build all structures on the asteroid (like an antinuke because its too small and don't want it anyway ) and you would need a new type of halley to fire it. May need to be built by an orbital fabber as well. No idea about costs though. I also think the nuke needs to take a more direct path to the asteroid or it's orbital transit speed drastically increased so it can actually hit the target.
    I'm a very big fan of the idea for asteroids but they need to have a counter for many reasons, not the least being to be able to build the annihilaser again. That's a difficult thing to do in a system with asteroids at the moment.
    My dream wish would be a working cratering system with moveable planets/moons as planet killers. Either way the games is awesome! Love playing it and love the titans.
    Hopefully see you on the battlefield. :)
    huangth likes this.