Requesting Permission and Slot Contention

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by mikeyh, August 27, 2015.

1. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

@jables @masterdigital @jorgenpt

The requesting permission still happens often in Titans and needs some polish after PAX :)

My support post is: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/issues-creating-joining-multiplayer-games-or-1v1-ranked.69086/

Original post on these issues was: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/fails-or-slow-to-join-spectate-games.68055/

Suggest the following be implemented:
    • add a cancel button to connect to game which appears after 10 seconds
    • add an api.net.cancelJoin API call which cancels all outstanding joinGame requests
    Some rigorous testing of the last slot issue is probably needed as requesting permission often happens when there is an empty last slowing in lobby but all players attempting to join are frozen on requesting permission.

Sometimes requesting permission will timeout after N minutes and a player joins the lobby.

Often the only option is to kill PA as no cancel option.
  2. Elate

Elate Active Member

+1 to cancel button. I've had to close my game every 2/3 games due to being unable to join. It's annoying as hell.
  3. jorgenpt

jorgenpt Uber Programmer Uber Alumni

When it is frozen on Requesting permission, is it stuck in a _.delay loop calling internalJoinGame in api.net.joinGame? As far as I can tell, it would have to be that, or ubernet.joinGame *never* returning.
    wondible and mered4 like this.
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

*I apologise now for my limited emended micro controller programming knowledge having no relevance to this conversation but just in case...*

Is it not possible to put some kind of 'interrupt' type event into that _.delay loop? That way surely you could bind a UI element of a cancel button to the interrupt to allow someone to back out when the game gets stuck trying to connect?