Wondering about curves: Does PA transmit bullet positions?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by cola_colin, September 1, 2015.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I am currently working on implementing something heavily inspired by what I know about how PA works and I just wondered: In what way does PA transmit bullet positions?
    For homing missiles I guess it isn't as easy, but looking at dox shooting I would say to correctly describe the full flight of a dox bullet it only needs the "starting parameters" of the bullets flight and a timestamp for when the bullet is to be removed. Everything in between can be interpolated based on the starting parameters, since the flight of a bullet is pretty deterministic from there.
    So how much curve changes are in the movements of a dox bullet?
    cdrkf likes this.
  2. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

We had a couple of people work on attempts at that over the development of PA; non-seeking projectiles just pass starting time, position, and velocity, and use the ammo spec to figure out the flight path. Send end time on hit.

Unfortunately none of them worked quite right, and there were too many questions about what happens if the ammo definition changes on the client, etc.

So, projectiles send all their positional information from the server to the client just like units.
    stuart98, Remy561, ace63 and 4 others like this.
  3. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

That explains the sim lag.....
    whisperr likes this.
  4. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

Damn, that's a shame :-(
    I guess, getting rid of projectile curves would reduce network traffic considerably, assuming a single unit can spawn several projectiles in its lifetime.
    @cola_colin It is for sure worth a try, but just keep in mind that there are really subtle pitfalls, like the IEEE 754 floating point specification that gets differently interpreted on different platforms.
    cdrkf likes this.
  5. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Projectiles take a good chunk of the bandwidth, and thus the server time, but are actually fairly cheap on the sim. Unit pathing and AI take most of the sim cycles. That and if we did use the other method of passing information to the client it either wouldn't change the sim or would actually make the sim slower.
    cola_colin, gmase, xanoxis and 2 others like this.
  6. cola_colin

Interesting. I'll see if I can manage better, my scenario is *a little a lot* simplified in many aspects compared to PA :p
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

What are you up to?....
  8. cola_colin

If I manage anything I want other people to see I'll show it :p
    stuart98 and cdrkf like this.
  9. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I'm curious