Endorsements and Balance

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by Warskull, February 23, 2011.

1. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

Consider the gold one

To get a 50% rate increase means you have a 1.5x rate multiplier.

Divide your recharge time by 1.5 and you get a number that's 33.3% smaller. For example, a 60 second recharge time decreases to 40 seconds.
    60 / 1.5 = 40
    1 - (40 / 60) = 0.333

FOLLOW? :D
  2. Mail

Mail New Member

That is single handedly the most condescending thing I've ever seen anyone say on this forum. Jesus it's not that hard to just show your work rather than implying I'm some inferior who would never understand your big scary math. I went to university for computer engineering, you twit.

EDIT: Thank you zarakon, that was quite nice of you, I see what you mean now.
    Last edited: February 23, 2011
  3. tinygod

tinygod New Member

So is it 1.5 or .5

EDIT: its 1.5 which makes everything more clear.

I guess I couldnt wrap my head around the fact that there was a base of 1 applied to all skills before endorsements.

Makes sense, I just kept assuming a base of 0.
  4. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Somebody tell mail that the numbers I gave him increase regen as factor, base regen is 1, plus whatever endorsement you have (1.5 for gold for example)

Also look at zarakon.
  5. Mail

Mail New Member

Damn, that was a lot of posts at once.
  6. Providence

Providence New Member

Mail, no need to fling insults. I did tell you where to look for your answers (defaultbalance) but you ignored it so I told you the easier way would be to test it ingame.
  7. tinygod

tinygod New Member

THANK YOU

Finally I understand all this, I was not aware that they gave all skills a base recharge of "1"

This probably leads to most of the confusion, as a rate of "0.5" and "1.5" are quite different in their effect.

If the base was 0 for instance, this would cause 100% increases to skill "re-use" and 50% reductions to skill "re-charge" timers.

Thank you

I'm not a math guy, my skills are .. um.. more about making things go boom, but I'm not ignorant either, though I was starting to feel that way.
  8. Mail

Mail New Member

Think of it instead of the amount of time to recharge, the rate at which you can use the skill. Essentially at a gold endorsement you can use a skill 1.5 times per 10 seconds whereas with no endorsement you can use it 1 time per 10 seconds.

Aaaand I posted late.
  9. Mail

Mail New Member

I was asking the simple question of how the math applies to the values given, and whether they were accurate, but instead of answering nicely you assumed I was some sort of mental defective. It's simple, don't act like a twit and I won't call you a twit.
  10. tinygod

tinygod New Member

I figured it out.

it was the whole base of 1 thing that threw me. I was assuming a base of 0 that was changed to 0.5 with gold. Which is why i was confused on why it wasn't doubling re-use, or halving re-charge.

Using 1 as a base, and applying .5 to get 1.5 makes far more sense.

As instead of a 50% reduction re-charge you get a .333% reduction

and instead of a 100% increase to re-use you get a 50%.

so if I understand this a skill wiht a base timer of 10 seconds and you apply a gold endorsement, your new re-charge timer is 6.666 or roughly 7 seconds.
  11. grimbar

grimbar New Member

To my current understanding this is correct tinygod. Bear in mind that hostilebalance/defaultbalance is no exhaustive source so we don't know the exact formulae.
  12. tinygod

tinygod New Member

makes more sense than saying gold = .5 and not knowing its actually 1.5 total.
  13. Mail

Mail New Member

It does beg the question of why they did it this way instead of just having flat multipliers, as it would have the same result with less confusion overall.
  14. tinygod

tinygod New Member

Its not that bad, once you know that all skills have a base of 1

I just wish the endorsements were more clear. Like I wish they all had NUMBERS and I wish the locker room had more numbers.

IE: Base speed of an assault and the number its multiplied by with a particular endorsement.

Would have a lot less confusion.
  15. grimbar

grimbar New Member

speed endorsement is not a factor but a flat increase, it's measured in units per second.
  16. tinygod

tinygod New Member

again, this would be good to know on the endorsement and the bases should be in the locker room.

would clear up a lot of confusion.
  17. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Acknowledged however it could also lead to newcomers feeling overwhelmed with a bunch of numbers etc.

From a usability point of view regarding new players it's best to not show them, for players who transcended that stadium it would be nice to have more thorough explanations.
  18. tinygod

tinygod New Member

Agreed: So hide that stuff somewhere like the locker room, where those of us who are interested can see it, but don't put it on the endorsement selection page.. perhaps.

Another way of looking at this, is that a gold recharge offers a 33.33 percent reduction to the recharge timer. As stated in the numbers.

10 / 1.5 = 6.666

10 - 6.666 = 3.333

3.33 x 100 / 10 = 33.33

Which is easier to understand than saying it increases the rate by .5

though both are mathematically the same thing, once you realize that all skills carry a base factor of 1.
  19. Goose

Goose Active Member

Wow, I don't know if you were trying to question his intelligence here but that post just seemed pretty out of line :x
  20. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

Maybe it says something about his own intelligence that he thinks the math is hard ;)