The Stupidest Article on The Internet

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, August 26, 2015.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

http://wdc.com/ventito/gaming/features/5-reasons-console-gaming-is-better-than-pc-gaming

It's like a Youtube comment. But it's not. Oh god.

This was written in March. THIS YEAR. TWO THOUSAND AND FIFTEEN.

Find something worse. I challenge thee.
  2. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

That page is so short and stupid I hesitate to even call it an article.
  3. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

The best part is that most updates and pretty much all drivers don't acutely increase performance, even in benchmarks. They're just catalysts for new features.

I think that the flat earth society wins as having the dumbest articles.

https://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/fe-scidi.htm

Be careful clicking on that, I had some weird popup on my phone; don't be stupid when visiting sites please!
    stuart98 and arseface like this.
  4. arseface

arseface Post Master General

I once saw a video of a crazy old woman trying to stop some equal right ordinance on the grounds that gay coupling is murder. Not like murder, actual murder. Apparently part of being gay is turning your partner into a corpse.

I'm kind of hoping it was a joke.
    stuart98 likes this.
  5. Devak

Devak Post Master General

This:
    Apparently, your console automagically is transported to the living room and automagically hooked up.

Though, the entire page is just grasping at straws. Console exclusives? there are like 100 times more PC exclusives, except that nobody CALLS them exclusives. Controllers? plug it into the PC. Online play? PC does that just as well.

The only legitimate reason that Consoles are better, and that isn't even named, is that gaming with multiple people on 1 console is a heck of a lot easier than multiple people on 1 pc.
    bengeocth and stuart98 like this.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

i wouldn't look into it too much, biased opinions are legion. This article isn't supported by any knowledge or fact I don't see why it deserves our attention.

it does seem to be very trolly purposefully

to them a view of a hater is worth as much as a view of a fan. it's a view. it makes then go up in google results.
    stuart98 likes this.
  7. Geers

Eh I used Adblock.
  8. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

I haven't read the article, but pretending there are no reasons consoles are superior in specific situations to PCs for gaming is, well, also stupid :p

EDIT:

Okay now I've read the "article". It loses points for the horrendous UI design alone.
  9. killien

killien Active Member

Archive.Is link because that drek doesn't deserve the clicks
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  10. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

This article hurts me. This is why I think the world is made up of idiots.
  11. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

Well, we know that gaming with PCs is much better. It's just a fact of life.
  12. Devak

Devak Post Master General

I think the "Specific" part explains well enough why PC gaming is better. Sure there are a few cases in which Consoles are better than a pc. The main argument seems to revolve around apathy, as in people don't really care about the quality difference or value the slightly increased convenience much more. A third primary argument is playing with friends (who have consoles too).

I mean, if all my friends played Xbone or whatever, i'd buy one too.
  13. arseface

For me it boils down to exclusives. Is a game(or group of games) worth the cost of the console to get?

Every platform has good exclusives. It's which you care about that matters, and if you're willing to pay for them. Ignoring PC exclusives is as silly as ignoring the console exclusives.

That "article" is condensed stupid, and I'm not even still a member of the glorious PC master race.
  14. Gorbles

Consoles are cheaper, consoles have no technical upkeep, consoles are better-covered by warantee (PCs come with part-specific warantees which also requires technical upkeep to sort out). A game is guaranteed to work on a console without any need for upgrades throughout the lifespan of the product.

PCs offer more flexible hardware, a range of costs and a potentially-superior gaming experience. But when you're paying $1,000 for a gaming machine, you expect that.

I'm a PC gamer, I love using a PC to game with. But to pretend that consoles don't have advantages is to buy into this "PC Master Race" elitist rubbish (with bonus points for aping racial supremacy).

People do value the convenience. You might not, or your friends might not, and that's fine. But people do.
  15. Geers

Just sayin'.
    stuart98 likes this.
  16. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

So this article gets away with bad UI, but MILLIONS OF PEOPLE STILL PLAY GTAV EVEN THOUGH IT HAS THE WORST UI AND USER EXPERIENCE AND I'm a little angry because reasons

I won't argue yeah, it's easier to initially get a console. I've been looking into upgrading my PC and shopping parts is a headache if you're not totally well-versed in the stuff. And it's nice to know when you buy a game it will -work-, but then it's not like all console games are consistent in their playable experience (framerate, resolution).

But honestly for me it always kinda comes down to... I need a PC anyway. If I had a console, I'd still need a PC for internet browsing, and I'd need it to be able to run **** so I could use dev programs. Getting a competent PC PLUS a console is kind of a waste of time compared to just getting just flat out more out of my PC. And the maybe dozen or so exclusives per console aren't really enough to convince me to shell out when PC has like hundreds more exclusives I actually -want- to play
    Besides, I still have my Xbox classic games, which has more interesting games than the 360 collection my flatmate has.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: August 31, 2015
    Gorbles likes this.
  17. Gorbles

I know the origins of it far better than most people who use the term unironically :p

You should see the overlap between users of it and actual white supremacists. The Internet has become a rather interesting place for them to air their "greivances", of late.
  18. Elate

Elate Active Member

Consoles have been getting more expensive, and their hardware is always outdated though. For the price of a PS4 I could build a low end gaming rig, which I could then upgrade as hardware became cheaper, can't do that with a console. Also PC parts have perfectly fine warranty, I generally get a two year warranty on my parts. I buy from Scan.

Also the whole price point doesn't take into consideration that to really enjoy consoles, you need a nice TV. That's another few hundred. In total, for a decent TV and a PS3, you're talking £450-600, which is more than enough to get a pretty good gaming rig that can run things at the same quality.

As to convenient, I would hardly call them convenient anymore. They give the illusion of it, but when you're having to wait for half hour updates just to play a game, along with obscene loading times, I wouldn't say I agree. The last "convenient" console was probably the PS2 generation.

I genuinely just don't see the appeal of consoles anymore, the newer they get, the more expensive they get, the closer they get to just being very limited PCs with outdated hardware on launch. I used to be a console gamer, I started with an Amiga before I could walk properly, then PS1, of which I had 2, then PS2, of which I had 3. They were cheap then, and were plug and play, long gone are those days.
  19. arseface

I don't think I've ever known somebody to use the term without having their tongue so far in their cheek they've pierced a hole.
    stuart98 and Gorbles like this.
  20. Geers

Yeah I try to avoid saying it for that reason. Soon I'm gonna have Joker-level scarring.

"Do you wanna know, how I got these scars?"
    Gorbles likes this.