Why am I having to buy this game a 2nd time?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by nineball1986, August 23, 2015.

1. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

I think this is an important point. The perceived value of PA:T (and with this the question of "worthness") is completely subjective. It depends on any factors, like what you expect or how you play and even how you see Uber as a company.

And there is an additional layer to that, that often gets overlooked by many people.
    PA:T is a more than units. Just look at the change log for PA:T, there is a lot of other stuff that they added for PA:T and fixed for PA:T within he base engine. I highly suspect that all costs for those things were charged against the projected revenue from the PA:T release. The good thing is that PA and PA:T share common ground, so most of the bug fixes, performance and AI stuff went straight into PA as well (the change log for PA is here).
    The tricky thing is that since all the base stuff did go into PA as well, the difference between PA and PA:T is even smaller. You get the new units, the game mode, a tutorial, some balance changes and some more stuff I did forget here. Well, that is not much I hear you say. But the problem is if PA:T never existed all those changes that are now in PA as well, wouldn't be there, simply because there were no budget for those things.
    Yes, if PA:T never existed you probably would have gotten some of the bug fixes in the next few years, but not that many changes so timely.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

.... sugar? ... i show myself the door ...
  3. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

Well I hope human resources stays dead forever. Not a fan of mass murdering humans for resources.
    sevmek and elkanfirst like this.
  4. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

you mean the game that comes with a continuing story (which is epic imo) if PA had a story and missions and PA:T continued that story then it would feel a lot less then just a modded verson of PA (casuse really any modder can just add the new units in to PA)
  5. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

They couldn't add the Titan units.

If you're going to talk about what is possible in modding, you might want to consult with actual modders of PA.
  6. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

then uber lied when they said modders can do anything in PA
  7. Gorbles

You're really not very good at this.
    Bsport and Nicb1 like this.
  8. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

not good at what? all i said uber lied when they stated modders can do anything with PA
  9. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I don't think Uber ever said 'modders can do anything'?!

Uber said they would support modders (which they have, by building specific functionality purely to make mod work easier, adding in specific mod hooks, allowing mods to be auto loaded when someone joins so only the host needs to mod and so on, it's really quite clever).

That isn't the same as saying 'modders can do anything' though. I mean modders can work within the constraints of the engine. So for example, modders couldn't make a FPS game based on the PA engine, cause' it doesn't have the camera capabilities for that (and why would it, it's an RTS engine after all).
    drz1, ace63, Nicb1 and 2 others like this.
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The statement "modders can do anything" is a pretty wild statement.
    It's clear that there have to be limits, so it is more like a "we'll try to make it that they can do as much as possible" to me.
    Dunno if this has been ever said or in what context as well.
    ace63 likes this.
  11. pilotrose

pilotrose Member

The way I see it is there will be people like me who are generally unhappy about having to pay for Titans (I still refuse). Then there will be others who follow the bandwagon and purchase Titans (at it's reduced cost) for various reasons. These two sides will never agree. No point in arguing.
    elkanfirst likes this.
  12. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

While we're looking at the differences, the major reason that PA doesn't have a campaign is that they are apparently very expensive. TA had more money behind it, and SC had a stupid amount of money behind it and its expansion, allowing for a very in-depth campaign experience and a relatively larger game. Obviously, Starcraft had tons of money, being made by Blizzard and all. If I were to guess, I'd say PA had around half of what SC had, and did quite well when you look at how far we are for the cost of making the game.

Not criticizing, just adding to the comparison you had.
  13. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I'm sorry you feel that way man, although as I mentioned many good updates were made to original PA as well. See you in game some time?

(also do you have PA:Stats installed, as that adds a handy chat room which is great for organizing games :))
  14. Pissedjedi

Pissedjedi New Member

I paid for Pa. I was a backer. From everything I tried to experience early on. PA I found very very buggy. And not really polished. I kept up as much as I could.. but I also enjoyed battling ai in skirmishes in the original Total Annihilation. The game that is the precursor and inspiration to this title. Do I think PA could have and should have been further fleshed out before folks were forced to pay for an update to the game via titans?

Lets compare to some other titles.. Look at.. Exiles the action rpg that is lauded for all the free content its released and has been added. Look at Grim dawn another title that has done the same and has slowly been and greatly been updated as well. I really believe that IF your a developer in the age of backing from your customers.. you really have to really really fine tune your original title and FINISH IT. before you release an expansion that has small updates and then charge full price again. Yes us founders and backers are getting it cheaper.. But word of mouth is much more important in this day an age. Social media is huge as free advertising. And Negative feedback is also deadly with social media.

From what I saw with how pa was backed up was.. I saw a few updates and then silence. The updates for PA vanished with no progress. Then boom out of no where Titans gets announced and released. And then it made sense to me. Great milk your customers a second time? Not so cool. This should have been a free expansion for those who actually backed this game and re-release of the game with some advertising for new customers.

Just imagine how much more positive pr there would have been for this title? Instead you lost more then you gained and whoever made the decision to push this out this way was foolish.
  15. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

a few updates then silence, what a load of ****, we've had full dates for a full year.
    • Offline mode
    • Ranked 1v1
    • Unit Cannon
    • Barracuda attack sub
    • Krakken stealth sub
    • Phoenix interplanetary fighter
    • Save/Load
    • Improved Galactic War
    • Spawnable asteroids
    • Massive performance gains
    • Better pathfinding
    • Continuous AI improvements
    • User interface scaling control
    • Better System Designer
    • Graphical improvements
    • Continuous balance improvements
    • New modding APIs

as for

err thats what they done? But let me guess you infact brought the game on stream, so you didnt back anything, but you like to call yourself a backer.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  16. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

Why couldn't they
  17. Gorbles

The Titan units required functionality that modders could not add. Only the developers could.
  18. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

-_- Such as...
  19. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

Wow these guys like to mess everyone around so much. My clan much prefer forge alliance as its a much more complicated game.
  20. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

You should stop calling this game RTS and call it RT because there is no strategy in this game.