An earnings-based handicap for public matches.

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Wishlist' started by Wandrian Wvlf, February 23, 2011.

1. Wandrian Wvlf

Wandrian Wvlf New Member

How about giving a handicap to new players so they can actually be(in theory at least) useful to their teammates? I'm thinking a 20% bonus in all stats at level 0 and an additional 20% damage/damage resistance bonus against all-star players so that hopefully they'll see how much damage they're taking doing X action or how much less damage they're doing with Y action and learn before they die and start dragging their team down with them. Allowing just slightly better heal rates from non-all-star Supports would also be good: show them how useful healing your dying allies can be. In my vision of the idea, the handicap would decrease slightly with each level earned in Crossfire(not Blitz) and be completely gone once a player hits 99.

Of course it isn't perfect. It won't teach people a thing about teamwork or how important managing the flow of bots is, but it's an effort that would hopefully set them on nearer equal ground with folks that have hit all-star status and give them a fighting chance. Of course if this effect didn't carry over into private matches it also wouldn't factor into matches between teams of experienced players at all(and obviously shouldn't).
  2. destructamental

destructamental New Member

None of this. Just because they're new doesn't mean they should get special treatment.
  3. greenwalls100

greenwalls100 New Member

4. Wandrian Wvlf

Wandrian Wvlf New Member

Experience means a LOT in a game that completely ignores all the simpler crap like deathmatch, so given the fact that your average player doesn't know or doesn't care to learn that losing means they're not doing something right(losing means games are imbalanced and the other team is hacking) hopefully a little bit of a crutch would give them a bit of a brighter outlook at first and act as a hook to keep them interested long enough to become GOOD players that don't blame losses on teammates or non-hackers hacking the game.

A side effect would be interesting to people who enjoy pubstomping, I think. If a level 0 player without custom classes is suddenly dealing 20% more damage, they're something of a threat even if they don't(and they won't) know what it is they're doing. Of course, if friends are playing together and using teamwork that 20% handicap is most likely not going to cause them to lose so much as just treat the new players as slightly more of a threat than they are without the handicap.

You can place handicaps in fighting games to make it more fun to play against an inexperienced opponent, so why not a game that's a mishmash of genres with just as much if not more stacked against newer players? Something to hook new players is better for the long-term than pandering to the whims of the minority of experienced players out there(save for balance in matches that don't suck).

90% of all public matches in every online game suck anyways. Something that would spice it up would be welcome to me.

I'm going to say no. Dividing up a player base that isn't Halo or CoD size is a bad idea in my mind and would result in fewer matches being played.
  5. Saint Mudknot

Saint Mudknot New Member

What happens when one of my buddys whos been playing on my Xbox and is pretty damn good decides to hop on. Then he will smash on even the best players...its a two way door
  6. Bezique

Bezique New Member

Whether or not the particular suggestion is the way to do it or not, as I suspect it will suffer unwanted side affects, I support the intention of what Wandrian Wvlf is trying to achieve.

As time goes by the existing player base is continually improving it's skills. The later in time that a new player purchases the game the wider the skill gap they face in a fight with another pro. This is unsustainable. There is a risk that at some stage it will disappoint new players to the point that too many of them will give up quickly. If this happens it will close the game to a clique of existing players. As these players find other games to play the server population will nosedive and that will be the end of it.

I'm certain that appropriate mechanisms can be developed to ensure the game remains welcoming to new players.

If new players are welcomed and enough of them stay the player base will grow so large that Uber can afford to split it into more game types, some of the games offered can be set such that they do not give benefits to new players. Take for example call of duty and its many game types to pick from all with very active servers - this is only possible because of its popularity.
  7. sensitivepsycho

sensitivepsycho New Member

I'd prefer better matchmaking and a "Free Agent" playlist with no groups allowed.
  8. Bezique

Bezique New Member

Matchmaking is severely limited by a small player base and the alternative "Free Agent" playlist option would dissect the player base making more difficult the task of matchmaking. I expect therefore that these are long-term goals and that other mechanisms need to be put in place that encourage growth of the player base in the interim period.
  9. Saint Mudknot

Saint Mudknot New Member

In my honest opinion, no other games goes easier on newer players. If i go buy a CoD game and pop it in right now i can play with anyone of any rank. If i go pick up HALO i can play arena, but if im not in arena im playing against everyone of all skill levels. If i go fire up Marvel vs Capcom 3 there will be no easier opponents.

The only way to learn is by Skill Curve, we all did so must the new players. I didnt play this game since the start, i had to learn when players wooped my *** just like the next guy

How about a matchmaking for only people level 0-30, then they can get thrown in the fryer lol. Well play it out like WoW, you get 20 levels of no PvP then its time to die :lol:
  10. Edward Coug

Edward Coug New Member

It would get exploited. And it would prevent players who haven't prestiged from playing in tournaments. And it would ruin the integrity of the great games a new player might have when they're just starting out. And it would foster hostility toward lower level players for needing a crutch to play well or for playing poorly despite having a crutch. Other than that, it's a great idea.
  11. Wandrian Wvlf

Wandrian Wvlf New Member

I don't see how it could be with a worthwhile result except by those rare few actual hackers(though that's another story entirely). If someone wanted to keep the full advantage of being level 0 they'd have to rough it out with nothing but default classes and never actually finish a game or buy any protags because they'd have no money.

That's one reason I suggested not having the effect occur in private matches :D

I'm not sure. When you're at level 0, you don't have a clue what you're doing. If you start off with a little crutch and are weaned off of it so gradually that you don't even notice, wouldn't your increasing skill level fully compensate for the reduced advantage stat-wise.

We don't already hate players that don't know how to use teamwork or that don't know killing bots is just as, if not more important than killing pros? I don't think anything would be changed in that aspect. No matter how nice we want to pretend we are, nobody but nobody enjoys being stuck with a bunch of new players against teams that have fewer or no new players. It's just not fun. So trying to give them a bit of compensation to make them more useful for their team and making them some decent excuse for a threat to pubstompers sounds all right to me.

Besides, pubstompers will have a hard time against noobs with a statistical advantage; a GOOD team won't.
  12. HazeTheRipper

HazeTheRipper New Member

no, the matchmaking need a remake and u should but partys vs partys this would make it also easyer to find games with party