Game Pacing Idea

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by wheels12, August 28, 2015.

1. wheels12

wheels12 Member

So, something I've noticed is that like supreme commander, pacing is a little weird in PA Titans because a player has access to all the units right away. This becomes hard to balance for when the attitude of a new unit is "MOAR UNITS BECAUSE REASONS". I know technology upgrades are frowned upon because it breaks "What you see is what you get" and I agree that wysiwyg shouldnt be broken. However, i think game progression serves a purpose as a impromptu tutorial and as a way to limit the dilemma of too many choices some new players may struggle with.

My Proposal

What if we take a a factory, and say "here are the 2-3 units you can build" BUT you can unlock more units by building a generator or w/e adjacent to it. The more generators around it the more units you unlock in that factory. Build times might need to be adjusted but this theoretically solves two things IMO

- bases will look less random as generators will be placed near factories to take advantage of their unlocking potential.
    -progression feels more fluid (you start with dox skirmishes, upgrade to tesla skirmishes and work up to grenadiers)

This post will likely be ignored, but at the least it could be a cool mod experiment though i think it should be a game feature.
  2. tommybananas

tommybananas Active Member

you mean starcraft style?
  3. wheels12

wheels12 Member

Not quite no, you can normally build a generator anywhere, but if you build it next to a factory it "unlocks" a new unit in the factory.

more generators = more unlocks

This way you roll out more complicated units as you need them or can handle them, and two factories can share a generator unlocking a unit in both. Also, no hidden unlocks buttons like in starcraft, you build a generator, you get a new unit, no passive buffs.
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

..... just no