Is Galactic War supposed to be this easy?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by liq3, August 28, 2015.

1. liq3

liq3 New Member

I just walked all over the AI in GW on an Uber sized galaxy on Absurd difficulty. Took 23 battles, none of them were even slightly difficult. Pretty disappointing the so-called single player is so easy.
    ace63 likes this.
  2. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

probably not.

Try an absurd AI in skirmish, it'll be a more reliable test.
  3. tenaciousc

tenaciousc Active Member

I'm about to finish up a GW and because I have the commander combat upgrade and I can just walk over to the enemy commander and shoot him to death. The fact that I have other cool tech doesn't hurt but this one upgrade really makes it so that not much else matters. The only issues are finding him and if he's on another planet. Then I really just need an astreus.
  4. greylurker

greylurker New Member

Gotta put it to at least relentless to get a challenge I find. Personally my only grip with Galactic War is that there isn't enough variety in the systems. Seems like I encounter the same planet a dozen times in a row. Would love if there was a way to incorperate some of the systems I've made up, or ones other people have made.
    meir22344, Engineer1234 and rivii like this.
  5. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

genius
    pieman2906 likes this.
  6. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

You sort of can. See the files in "<PA Install Dir/media/ui/main/game/galactic_war/shared/js/systems". There are files like titans-normal.js, which contain the information on how the systems in a galaxy are generated. They are relatively easy to alter. You could make a mod out of it if you want.
  7. ulbot21

ulbot21 New Member

What GW need is more challenge and story and lore, not just jumping from system to system defeating enemies.
  8. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Since Titans release, yes; Absurd starts at 0.8 eco and goes up slowly from there.
    huangth likes this.
  9. huangth

huangth Active Member

I test the Absurd AI, and I find out it is very easy to defeat them now.
  10. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

GW is way too easy now. Even on Absurd it's not worth playing as you can just stomp the enemies without any resistance.
    Please revert it to the way it was before.
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

LOL NO.

Starting on a small map, with 2 AI against you, who have better eco and tech is not a fun way to start.
  12. ace63

What is so funny about my suggestion? Have you played the new GW? It's not even a game anymore when I can smash my head on the keyboard and still easily win on absurd difficulty...

And yes, the scenario you describe is way more fun than that.
  13. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Because I do remember the old GW difficulty.

That was quite impossible to win the first mission.

(Not that I disagree that the difficulty has changed, but remember that rolling a good deck of cards can make any GW really easy.)
  14. ace63

Oh yes I fully agree the old absurd difficulty was next to impossible to win. But I think thats fine because it was called absurd. Maybe a slight nerf would have been enough.
    With the old difficulty even relentless was a joke difficulty wise and now all fights are equal to the old "normal" setting, even on absurd.
    They overnerfed this way too much.
  15. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

I actually found the old absurd difficult quite fun. It was fun to work out strategies that succeed with limited tech. I would not enjoy it if it was any easier :(
    xankar and ace63 like this.
  16. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

There was a lot of nerfs to Galactic War AI and they simply cut too deep. Relentless should be hard but doable and absurd should be a crazy challenge. I really enjoy playing galactic war after a new patch to try out units as it forces you to only use a subset. But it's crazy easy now.
  17. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Well, everybody was complaining that the AI was too hard and/or cheated (even though it doesn't(outside of GW)). I'm surprised they changed the absurd though, what's the point of having a maximum difficulty if it isn't the maximum?

Edited for precision.
    Last edited: August 28, 2015
  18. ace63

Oh the AI did cheat on absurd - it had a bigger than one economy multiplier.
    I cannot understand though how anyone complained about the difficulties below absurd.
  19. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Well they added difficulty ramping to Absurd, which didn't exist before. And Absurd on Uber was always easier than Absurd on Small. The notes said they made the boss systems harder though, but if the systems have been updated it might be the new systems are inherently easier due to their design and how the AI interacts with them.

The difficulty jump between Relentless and Absurd previously was an issue though.
  20. paleoludic

paleoludic Uber Alumni

Yeah, part of it is just that sorian's time is so strapped that we can only touch a fraction of the exponentially weirder situations that come up in GW. A few recent AI improvements will help significantly. The enemy used to waste time walking around cliffs to build on the other side, for instance.

But from a design point of view we can make up for it by tweaking the knobs we have. In the run up to launch there was a nasty, nasty bug that kept a lot of our balance changes from applying -- so we kept bringing it to testers, being told, "Still way too hard!", cranking down the difficulty, and repeating it until we finally realized nothing was happening and we tracked it down.

So yeah, it's still really useful to get specific feedback about how far you were into a war, which techs you had, and why the AI seemed too easy. Sometimes it even points us towards a bug, as in the case of the enemy commander walking painstakingly around a cliff to build an energy plant and then slowly walking back to build another one, wasting two minutes in the process. (facepalm.)
    cptroot, cdrkf and igncom1 like this.