Lore PA units too small ?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by ulbot21, August 27, 2015.

?

do you want PA units to be bigger ?

1. yes, bigger is better

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. no, current size is good

27 vote(s)
    49.1%
  3. no, i want it smaller

22 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. ulbot21

ulbot21 New Member

according to this picture:
    PA_units_01_public.jpg
    Planetary-Annihilation-scale.jpg

i assume that the picture above are actual units and buildings size that were represented in gameplay, which are no taller than 50 meters.

now compared to this :
    1392774449684.jpg
    sizecomp3.jpg
    1377546137845.png

compared to supcom, PA size seems inept and insufficient for its scale of warfare. do you think PA in lore should be bigger ?
    Last edited: August 29, 2015
  2. aevs

aevs Post Master General

According to those metrics, a PA commander is a bit shorter than a SupCom ACU (~70m vs 90m). However, PA's commanders aren't all that tall relative to the other units of PA, which would probably be larger than most SupCom units.
    Also, PA's titans would be larger than most experimentals. The atlas looks to be about ~5 times the height of a commander (not sure about that), which is 350m; taller than any ground based experimentals form SupCom according to that last image.
    (EDIT: Derp, looked at the 50m thinking it was the size of one square on the grid.)

But in the end, none of that matters anyway :p What matters is how the units look and work in-game, which I think is fine.
    I think some of the old brushes should be made much larger though, especially the mountain biome brushes, which are so small compared to the new platform brushes that they just look silly.
    Last edited: August 27, 2015
    bengeocth likes this.
  3. ulbot21

ulbot21 New Member

are you sure ? if you look closely on the second picture, you will see something which resembling human. if we assume that human size is same with human in picture 3, then PA commander would be as large as SupCom mechmarine.
  4. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

The only benchmark for size are the trees. You basically started a thread asking for smaller trees. Well done.
    bengeocth, stuart98, lafncow and 5 others like this.
  5. ulbot21

ulbot21 New Member

i'm fine with the size in-game, but in lore ? i'm not satisfied with potentially amazing planet crashing explosions be mildly reduced to mere asteroids colliding.
  6. V4NT0M

V4NT0M Well-Known Member

This is kinda true, all we have to do is change the ruler on the image to say 50m and we're golden. That said the game is coded to show m for planet sizes and unit ranges.

It's more of a "this is a game" argument, I mean PA planet sizes are tiny...

Though in the interests of completeness:

If we look at this image the Delta commander is roughly 20m tall:
    PA_units_04_public.jpg

The Atlas is about 4x the height of the commander:
    1920.jpg

So if we insert the Atlas into the Supcom image, it's about the size of a brick:

1377546137845.jpg

IMO the unit sizes in general are more realistic and from there the titans are suitably large. If the Supcom size chart is to be believed then even the engineer is rougly 20m tall and 25 - square and even the smallest tank is about the same. Does that seem right to you? Seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Modern tanks are about 9x4m in size, your average 2 storey house is no more than 6 or 7 meters high. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Supcom unit sizes are too big!
    lirana, xankar and Remy561 like this.
  7. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

If your awe when viewing two planets smashing is in any way affected by the listed scale on a jpeg image not currently in view then I suggest you review your priories.
  8. towerbabbel

towerbabbel Active Member

Given the size of the planets and stuff on them like mountains and such, I would actually want the units (and buildings) to be smaller.
    stuart98, wilhelmvx, huangth and 2 others like this.
  9. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Yep, I think every unit should be smaller! That mod my Cola_Colin is absolutely wonderful.
  10. ulbot21

ulbot21 New Member

it doesn't sound ridiculous when highly advanced and efficient von neumann killer robot able to destroy planet with planet are hundred meters tall at best.
  11. nateious

nateious Active Member

Clearly the meters in the PA universe aren't the same meters we have, planets that small wouldn't have enough gravity for units to walk / drive around on. Ignore the given numbers and assume that the planets are planet sized and PA units are really really (really) big.

Strictly speaking gameplay wise, I agree with squishypon3, I'd like to see them shrink.
  12. ulbot21

ulbot21 New Member

then we get silly number like PA commander are hundreds kilometer tall :p
  13. nateious

nateious Active Member

Works for me :)

I guess it's whichever you consider more silly. Tiny planets or insanely big robots.
    bornesteller likes this.
  14. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

@cola_colin OFG

I gotta get away from this forum!

they're trying to make me go insane!
  15. tatsujb

aevs likes this.
  16. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

That's kind of what the size of the units implies, that the size of the units vs their environment is off, and so scale. They're one in the same in this context.
  17. eagle722

eagle722 Member

I would like very little units, very big units and new defenses for turtles players :D
  18. tatsujb

the fact of the matter is this thread should be titled
    "PA units too BIG ?"
    Elate and squishypon3 like this.
  19. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Yeah, the scale is all relative.
    I'm not totally sure about that one. If you scale down the units vs. scaling up the CSG elements, the only difference is terrain scale (e.g. 400 vs. 600 sized planets playing the same), which only really affects the size and detail of the terrain noise (which can be altered by the noise's octave settings), as well as the scale of the terrain's textures,the mesh's level of detail, and the scale of non-CSG features like trees and small rocks (which I think is fine).
    In my opinion, it's more about "CSG brushes too small?". Especially now that we have platforms that are actually scaled WELL with respect to the units. Here's an example of a map with much larger mountains than the default. Still smaller than I'd like, but I'd say it's much better than the default mountain sizes:
    [​IMG]
    Elate likes this.
  20. ulbot21

ulbot21 New Member

So... 10 or 15 meters are too big ? Where PA commander were as big as the weakest unit in SupCom, not so impressive.

Or the planet are just tiny compared to real planet.