Bubble shields in PA:T?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by philoscience, August 24, 2015.

?

Would you like to see bubble shields in PA:T?

1. Yes

63.5%
  2. No

36.5%
  1. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

Interesting, good that you reminded us that we do have a T2 anti-orbital; that is the Catapult. With the inclusion of higher health orbital units and the Umbrella nerf I believe this is certainly worth trying. Though if I am not mistaken, all TML units have the same weapon stats with differing range.
  2. zodiusinfuser

zodiusinfuser Member

A suggestion as an alternative to the bubble shield, that doesn't require a whole new mechanic to be implemented. How about a repair tower? Think of the Cybran assist buildings in SupCom. You place these around your base and they help repair any nearby damaged structures and units from artillery or orbital fire, but after the damage has been dealt (as opposed to shields which stop the damage before).

It would also be cool if they could assist nearby constructions, but I know how OP that can get in Supcom (a Soul Ripper in 30 seconds anyone?) :p
    radimentrix likes this.
  3. Elate

Elate Active Member

I'm in favour of non-stacking shields.
    tesseracta, squishypon3 and tatsujb like this.
  4. pieman90

pieman90 Active Member

What about make it act kinda like the force shield from RA2 where when used you automatically enter a power deficit and have to recharge the shield before you could use it again but it makes the buildings invincible (of course this would extend to the commander but not any other unit)?
    [​IMG]Pretty picture :D couldn't find any pictures of it in action :( because honestly who ever used it?
    Plus a maybe 4 the shields, it depends on the execution.
  5. V4NT0M

V4NT0M Well-Known Member

I like the idea, they don't even have to be that powerful, just a shield that absorbs a small amount of damage to alleviate a little bit of micro.

I doubt we will see these though, more than anything I like the visuals of shields and really enjoyed using them in FA

Planetary shields anyone? :D
  6. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Well, everyone with the exception of the Bluehawks. Damage was nerfed to 750 against everything, but their price went down from 1.2k metal to 800. Anti-orbital is still 400 dmg, so it got a lot better against orbital.
    probodobodyne and stuart98 like this.
  7. radimentrix

radimentrix New Member

oooh, i loved these repair/support towers with their drones :D
    but please add a switch to them that turns off support so it only repairs, i don't need 10 towers that only support my factories as soon as their is no damaged building anymore
  8. jurak

jurak Member

Shields should cover the area between aerial and orbital layers, and work like the anti-orbital cannons/anchor platforms, in that they only shield a certain area. However, they could use the texture mechanic (the one that makes them seem to slowly appear) used for building structures to enable a planet to be covered entirely with them to shield the whole planet.
    (Basically, using an otherwise transparent texture layer :D)
    Shield barrier could have a power bar, where it depletes each time it is shot, amount depleted depending on the damage. The shield generator should cause the barrier to flicker and take 3x depletion each time the generator itself is hit.

T1 built by T 2 builders, T2 shield built by SubCommander (The big advanced factory bot)

T2 should have 2x-3x the stats of the T1, with a 1.5x-2x power drain, again based on T1 stats.

Usage? Mid-Late game passive orbital defence, plus a way to stop a nuke (T2 Shield only)
  9. pjkon1

pjkon1 Member

I actually like that idea for a shield that makes everything inside it invincible for a short period of time then needs to recharge. It would need to be unstackable for obvious reasons, but it would give the people complaining about Helios snipes a way to defend. Think about how cool it would be having an army returning to attack its own base to destroy the teleported invaders before their commander's sheild timed out.
  10. Corgiarmy

Corgiarmy Active Member

What is this phantom menace? No shields.

Edit: I played too much perimeter as a child.
    Last edited: August 25, 2015
  11. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

12. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

Try this mod :cool:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-war-turtle.69898/
    tesseracta and jurak like this.
  13. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

Someone asked for an engineering station ? :rolleyes:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-war-turtle.69898/
  14. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I'm thinking of a balance mod, how would you feel if I stole this wonderful thing? -w-
  15. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

Statera returns? :eek:
  16. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

Here's what I think about shields:
    3 different power settings. Hard as possible, dynamic cover over base, and extended as possible. Stick these in with the energy usage button in place of on.
    Shields can have holes punched in them if they're extended beyond what they can normally handle when shot.
    Dynamic range extends the shield out until the shield is covering everything it can nearby, but will automatically shrink back down to avoid holes being punched in it.
    Units that try to just roll past the shields take attrition damage.
    The generator can only extend the shields out as far as it is undamaged.
    Shields have a weakness: tesla units damage both the shield and the generator.
  17. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

to much complexity .. just have them reduce incomming damage so the gen could be targeted
    .. damagereduction shall not stack up but be areaextended the more gens you have meaning they would need to spread ..
    Last edited: August 27, 2015
  18. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Possibly! I hope Stuart still has all my older models I made. Sadly I lost my TA models that I'd made. ;-; (unless those are left over on linux)
  19. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

As soon as I repair my pc I will make a Bubble ahield mod. I have a pretty clear image of how to create it. It will take time for mw to add a new model:p
  20. jurak

jurak Member

How would we make a mod for this?
    As it's unlikely to be added by Uber any time soon, the community needs to make this happen first :D