PA.exe Stopped working mid game.

Discussion in 'Support!' started by MarcusMapal, August 22, 2015.

1. MarcusMapal

MarcusMapal New Member

So this has happened a few times to me and i would like some help so i can get threw 1 game at least, Yes i have checked all my drivers n stuff there all up to date. Would like some support looking threw my files and what ones you need to help me fix this, Thanks! :D also i got my DxDiag file here V

Attached Files:

2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Can you check the following list to see if you have any incompatible software installed:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/2/558751813508748383/

You can also try scanning your system files with the sfc tool that comes with Windows. Instructions are here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833
  3. MarcusMapal

MarcusMapal New Member

A few more things that i have noticed that it might not be my computer but more me and the game, When i try to cover a world in say anchors the game will crash.
  4. MarcusMapal

MarcusMapal New Member

It would seem that large scale things crash the game but so do some small things, its very fragile, i can get a game in every now and again and get threw the others by saveing and loading.
  5. MarcusMapal

MarcusMapal New Member

Yeah scans clear must just be the limitations of the game as it is, Will just have too deal with it until it gets more updates.
  6. MarcusMapal

MarcusMapal New Member

Simply telling a few adv flyer bots to take all the metal on the planet crashes it :(
  7. datamachine

datamachine New Member

If you could upload the log files from the games that crashed it could help to nail down possible causes. They can be found at C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\log
  8. darthmorley

darthmorley New Member

I'm seeing the same kind of thing, just crashes randomly, sometime 5 minutes in sometime 20 minutes in. And last night I went about an hour, through several games without an issue, but this morning it's crashing very regularly. It happens sometimes when I do an area command sometimes when I just select something. I'm on Windows 10 x64 drivers are uptodate. Antivirus is Avira Free, which isn't listed as incompatible software but I excluded PA.exe and CoherentUI_Host.exe from scanning just in case. See dxdiag and recent log files attached

Attached Files:

9. LegendTheo

LegendTheo New Member

I'm getting the exact same isue on windows 10. I've looked through the log file and it doesn't seem to show any issue but I've attached it anyway. All drivers are up to date. I was looking forward to playing this but it's unplayable with the amount it locks up.

Attached Files:

10. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

It's very possible that these crashes are the game's fault, and it wouldn't be surprising after a fairly large UI update.

@darthmorley that log shows a lot of assertion failures. I have no idea what those are but they are related to the UI which might be related to area commands. Other users are having issues with area commands crashing stuff.
    @jorgenpt
  11. LegendTheo

LegendTheo New Member

I haven't had any issues with crashed related to area commands. I can't see any sort of pattern, but it usually happens when I'm doing something. Selecting a unit or giving it an order. I don't remember it crashing if I wasn't doing anything. Not that it helps any.
  12. DeathByDenim

You can try increasing your virtual memory to at least 14GB. It's currently on the low side and may cause the crashes you are seeing. I couldn't find instruction on Microsoft's site for Windows 10, but this is pretty close: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/change-the-size-of-virtual-memory
  13. DeathByDenim

Just as additional information: I always have loads and loads more of those "Assert failure: This view doesn't support binding yet ViewImpl Id 0" thingies and it doesn't seem to cause any trouble for me. masterdigital described them as "troubling". :)
  14. jorgenpt

jorgenpt Uber Programmer Uber Alumni

The "This view doesn't support binding yet" thing is not really a problem, it's just a log message from Coherent about us calling an unbind after we destroy a view. They just ignore the call, and it should not cause any problems. It only happens when a view is shut down.

As for the crash described here, I took a look at a couple of the crash logs, and they seem to be related to an infinite loop we have been tracking internally. It has a memory allocation in it, and when it never terminates, it'll consume all available memory and crash. We have a workaround, as well as some improvements to resource consumption, that are coming in an upcoming patch.
  15. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

uuuuuh you have a fix for that? That has been around for a while I think. Nice.
  16. chrislove01

chrislove01 Member

Hi, I too am seeing crashes in Windows 10 x64, I am able to recreate it by dragging a long line of walls with a Tier 1 air engineer on the 1st level of GW. Local server or online. Logs attached.

I will continue to retry/recreate and let you know if I find anything else.

Edit, seems more around build previews. I enabled all build previews and it crashes consistently when building walls.

Also managed to capture a proper crash this time I think? seemed to occur whilst holding shift on an engineer.

http://crashes.uberent.com/report/index/ef486f51-a078-48fe-8da2-6c2702150824

Hope that helps?

Attached Files:

Last edited: August 24, 2015
  17. darthmorley

darthmorley New Member

I played a GW game last night, memory usage sat around 5 GB until I won, and when the enemy commander blew up, as you say, it consumed all available memory and eventually crashed. It did manage to record the win though :)

When you say "workaround", does this mean you're still looking for a proper solution? Do the log files help? Attached is the logs from the game last night.

Attached Files:

killerkiwijuice likes this.
  18. calamity45

calamity45 New Member

Mine crashed too mid-game. I was just having a normal battle on Galactic War when it happened. Here's the txt file and dxdiag if it is of any help.

Attached Files:

19. MarcusMapal

MarcusMapal New Member

I can confirm the same thing happening to me but with a large amount of just about anything eg. Metal. Anchors.
  20. chrislove01

chrislove01 Member

Hi All

I discovered if you set x64 bit exe to Windows 8 compatibility mode crashes stop.

However performance is degraded (at least for me)

Chris

EDIT

Most odd, having completed 1 mission with Windows 8 compatibility enabled I switched back, just played 4 missions not a single crash. I cant explain that one.

Looks like they dropped a big patch that appears to have fixed the issue. Thanks :)
    Last edited: August 25, 2015