some reviews

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by tatsujb, August 24, 2015.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

yeah i doubt CanardPC made it outside of france
  2. radimentrix

radimentrix New Member

don't know which magazine it was but i found SupCom through a demo on a magazine-dvd (or was it even a cd?) probably gamestar or pc action
  3. tatsujb

demo-cds..........

omg our kids will never believe us
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I prefer real life rocket science. Sorry :(
    tunsel11 likes this.
  5. KnavishPlum

KnavishPlum Active Member

man, sometimes I wish I was born in the 90s, then I could experience what it was like when SupCom first came out and not have like only 7 years old when it actually did. But on the topic of RTS games I have played. Not that many.
    I got into RTS games when I went to Gamestop with my brother and Mom to pick up the rest of the Halo games (3 ,4, ODST, and wars). Halo Wars on Xbox 360 is what got me into RTS games. Then a friend told me of SupCom 2 for Xbox. I got it and loved it. it was bigger then HW, but still small.

I can't even remember how I found PA. I think I was looking at SupCom 2 videos and stumbled across the concept trailer on youtube or something. This was back when PA was in beta. When it was released my Dad and I waited on buying it due to how many bad reviews there were, but more importantly because it was said not to work on event the best gaming PCs. Since I still wanted a big RTS, I got SupCom FA, as I heard that it was great. Then about a month later I got PA, and had to update my driver.

And yesterday I bought Titans ,so I love me some PA.
    cdrkf and tracert like this.
  6. tatsujb

in the end it really was all about the feeling of belonging.

I loved the actual game to bits but really all I had to run it back then was a Pentium D (which really I wasn't even close to worse case senario there) .... it ran the game really poorely i also originally had almost no graphic card.

so I ran it at minimum graphics and the game would often slow down to -8 x'D

it was just fun because it was the first RTS i'd seen with actual critical thinking involved to win.

It felt great. and the community turned out to be so amazing.

compare it to the mafia or whatever you will but it was like one big family.

and that bit's still here to this day through FAF. the only thing that's different is the lag is gone and the game is actually balanced now (seriously back in the day there were some MAJOR imbalances, even exploits.... Restorers.... remotely removing wrekages...) and they did make efforts to upgrade the game to more modern graphics. Plus GPGnet took literal MINUTES to start up.

So I don't think you're really missing out personally.
  7. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I remember those days. They had a trailer up at supremecommander.com or something similar and a load of information about units and stuff and background lore and stuff. I read through all of those many times.

I had even worse potatonet back then than I do now, so it'd take me about half an hour to watch the trailer in short 1-2 second buffered bits. I'd go check back on the website every couple of weeks and watch the trailer in the same fashion and re-read the lore and stuff, hoping they'd add a release date.

Then when it did come out I still had potatonet so no multiplayer, and my computer was absolute pants so I struggled to play properly.

Fond memories all the same.
    cdrkf likes this.
  8. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

If you're *really* old like me... you remember seeing TA in PC Gamer in like 96' whilst windows 95' was still new, having only ever really played Warcraft 1 / 2 it looked pretty amazing :)

It almost killed my machine to play it though (that 16mb of ram wasn't enough for some of the larger maps lol). I updated my machine 3 times before I got TA running fluidly, online, in large games :p
  9. tatsujb

16megs..... oh my god yeah we used to count RAM in megs x'D
    squishypon3 and cdrkf like this.
  10. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

*and hard disks! (my first machine, an IBM XT 286 had a 20mb HDD lol, then after that I upgraded to a then fast 100mhz 486 with a massive 800mb hdd, amazing to think a £5 memory stick offers an order of magnitude more storage space than that now haha).
    tatsujb likes this.
  11. tatsujb

12. tatsujb

that could of had happened already but Cannonical were morons at handleling their indigogo campaign
  13. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

My introduction to Ta was that it came free with my second hand dell, p2 @133hrtz and an ati rage pro turbo chip soldered on to the motherboard. Played more Ta than any other game I think. Even more than half life. By the time sup com was announced I all over it and counting the minutes to realease similar story with pa, only with pa I was waiting for it to get cheaper.
    cdrkf likes this.
  14. tatsujb

tunsel11 likes this.
  15. tatsujb

would have been first phone to run actual 32-bit architecture chip as well as 4Gigs of ram allowing it to run ubuntu desktop in the backround :
    (also would have been the first phone to use sapphire glass and Silicon-anode Li-ion battery
  16. tatsujb

dude the phones of the era were much more expensive! you saw their comparative:
    [​IMG]
    And they said like a bigillion times the word enthusiast

look at today's phones :
    [​IMG]

also to this day none of these phones bosts anywhere near as good as the specs on the ubuntu edge
    n00n and squishypon3 like this.