Help me decide what mods to do/finish?

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by burntcustard, August 23, 2015.

?

What do?

Poll closed August 30, 2015.
  1. Boom Bot Wars Titans update

55.0%
  2. New rebalance mod

5.0%
  3. Continue Galactic War mod

20.0%
  4. Icons

5.0%
  5. Some other mod?

10.0%
  6. Just get good.

40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

I can't decide what PA stuff I should work on. Halp. Also a subtle recruitment/help thread in case anyone wants to help with whatever project/s I chose to do.

Boom Bot Wars Titans update

PA: Titans introduced a load of units there were similar to ones in Boom Bot Wars, which puts me off wanting to continue development on it. However, it also introduced a whole set of new mechanics and effects that could be used in Boom Bot Wars.
    If I continue with this, the plans are:
    • Finally get the flying Boom in an update.
    • New "Tesla Boom" unit which steals/builds upon the fancy new effects.
    • A "carrier" unit like the Typhoon (perhaps the Giant Boom).
    • Updated effects for most of the existing units.
    • Better orbital play.
    • Something to do with spider webs (I have an idea for slowing enemies...)
    I would love those with experience with, or who are very determined to learn, modelling and texturing to help out with this. The Air Boom still has no texture, and it'd be cool if the Tesla Boom and AA bot could have new models made for them. If I can get someone on board with this it would really help persuade me not to abandon this mod.

New rebalance mod

RCBM died a while ago. ModX has been discontinued by @zx0. Both of those mods had some really awesome units. Authors of those mods, do I have permission to use your work? (If no answer, will PM, etc.) I would like to create a new rebalance/whatever-they-are-called mod, which changes current units, and adds a bunch more. Goals and basic principles of it would be:
    • Add more cool stuff.
    • No "direct upgrades" (Ant -> Leveler is not quite a direct upgrade).
    • Units should have personality.
    • Tanks should be tanky.
    • Micro is good if it's fun. (Includes adding more alt-fires and special abilities.)
    • Boom Bots jump, Slammers have flamethrowers.
    • WYSIWYG (e.g. projectiles that look the same do same damage).
    • Reduction in the use of damage multipliers (e.g. Uber cannons 0.25 damage vs structures would be changed to 0.5 or more.)
    • Epic battles with hundreds of units in the middle of the map encouraged.
    • Commanders should be viable combat units mid game. Potential examples: Uber cannon uses lots of energy so only usable mid-late game. A T2 "commander regen" upgrade building that gives the commander passive regen.
    If I can get permission to use all the community made models, I feel I wouldn't need a modeller for this project, but I could do with some weirdly enthusiastic testers. Effects experts would be cool too. I've done some in the past but nothing like what @dom314 and @Alpha2546 have. @elodea you could do the naval side of this if you're interested.

Continue Galactic War mod

For those of you who don't know, I have forever been producing a Galactic War mod, which throws away the vanilla cards and then adds much more fun per-unit GW cards. For example, a GW card that gives bombers 2x ammo capacity, or gives the commander regen, or gives the gunships flamethrowers.
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately this mod has broken with updates so many times that I've spent more time fixing it than adding stuff. I also hit a lot of brick walls when trying to implement weird cards.

If I continue with this, I'd like to:
    • Have help with system creation. The default GW planets/systems are crappy. We can do better.
    • Have help with JavaScript coding to make interesting cards. I know some JavaScript, but some of the wizards (@cola_colin, @wondible?) might be able to push this to another level.
    • Implement GW cards that give you units at the start of the game. For example a squad of Icarus' so that you can skip that first pgen, or a Colonel so you have a build advantage early on (useful when against like 3 AIs!)

Icons
    I don't use vanilla PA icons. I've changed like 10 or them, but could redo a whole lot more and then release on PAMM.
    [​IMG]

Some other mod?

Maybe somebody doesn't care about the stuff up there, but has a great idea for a mod, or an ongoing project I might be interested in?

Just get good.
    Of course I could just play the game! :D
    stuart98 and dom314 like this.
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

We could use some help with the faction mod if you know how to do that kind of stuff :)

Anyway:

Boom bot wars with titans would be epic.
    xankar and cdrkf like this.
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Personally I wonder if you should look into helping the 'imperial legion' project?

Otherwise updating boom bot wars would be cool, and ofc I think your name should really be up there on the Uber ladder really :)
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Lol... that was, weird :p
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  5. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

I'd put some effort in the boom bot wars. Rebalancing mods aren't that popular and are a shitton of work. Even with a team its hard to get stuff done and if one guy is done with pa you're pretty much screwed. Besides rebalance mods need to have something special and something wow to make it totally worth it in my opinion. If you do want to do something like this then I'd recommend joining the legion development team.

Boombot wars was a lot of fun because it was a totally different game yet quite easy to get a grasp on. Also you've already got some good basics for this mod so its easier to expand on this one (I think).

Galactic war mods are basically a bitch to do and as you said there is a big chance its broken when pa gets updated. No one wants to keep fixing this stuff to make it work again. Thats extra time and effort that you ( we all actually) prefer to put in something else.

No idea about the icons mod. The standard icons fit good and me personally will never change them ( if I do then I'll probably get confused watching someones stream or when I'm playing vanilla games).

Play the game is something I definately recommend too though. You're an outstanding player that should be seen on the ladder from time to time.

So in short my recommendations. Boombot wars or play the game or join the legions team. I don't mind helping out with some effects though it can be a bitch to create something cool sometimes (I need a cool idea that pops into my mind).
    Nicb1 likes this.
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

You should make a smoking wreckages mod.

Clearly I don't just say that because I am too lazy to look into how to do that.
  7. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

If you need my models for a new mod or Boom Bot Wars or whatever else you can use it. As for what you should do - it's ultimately for you to decide of course, but Boom Bot Wars is pretty fun, I'd update it if I was you.
    stuart98 likes this.
  8. burntcustard

My skills are limited to: Doing funky things with unit .jsons, reasonable JavaScript knowledge, 2D art (icons etc.), some PA effects experience (but an enthusiasm to get better at it). Joining the Legion team is something I'm considering (if ya want, obviously), but hopefully without sounding too much like a ****, I don't really like some of the stuff that's going in to that, and I feel I wouldn't have enough control over it to say "the Grey Wizard tower is stupid, I know it's like that one from TA but.. no." Of course the jumpy booms and awesome models are enticing me somewhat :D

Actual titan units in Boom Bot Wars is unlikely, unless I can get like a team of modellers in my basement working for free for 2 months.

I want this too. Also lazy.

Thanks! :D You may see a couple of those units appear in Boom Bot Wars, as that seems to be "winning" here :) Have you removed ModX from PAMM? Could you upload the most recent server mod somewhere so I can take models from it?
    stuart98 and killerkiwijuice like this.
  9. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

10. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

@zx0 There are a few models that you had in pre ModX 60 releases that got removed in ModX 60. Could you provide a download link for ModX 58?

@burntcustard I'm still working on Galactic Annihilation, which is essentially the successor mod to RCBM. If you want to help with that I'd appreciate it.
  11. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

stuart98 likes this.
  12. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

I've got all of the ModX stuff pushed to this github repository. Master branch is ModX 64, the other branch is ModX 58.
    burntcustard likes this.
  13. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

git gud son

No seriously, your GW mod sounds interesting and I would like to try it out once it is un-broken.

Oh, I do also have an idea about a naval titan that is basically a super-fast destroyer with massive range and massive size but low health. It spews out tactical missiles like nobody's business and basically compensates for its fragility and inability to go over land by being anti-everything a long radius; basically a super-sized aegis ship.
  14. burntcustard

GW mod has been postponed until at least next patch, because I'm expecting some balance changes to be coming sometime soon and it didn't seem too popular here.. Keep an eye on the WIP mod forums if you're interested and I might make a thread about it sometime.

Been working on Boom Bot Wars, got it functioning again, did some balance tweaks, switched out a couple of the models to awesome ones that zx0 made. I could still really do with a modeller/texturer for it though. @Alpha2546 you interested in helping me out with the Tesla Boom? I'd really like a passive (like... Always on) electricity-swirling-all-around it effect, but I'm not entirely sure how to get that working. Im also not sure what the Tesla Boom should do differently from the standard one. Ideally it would temporarily disable units (moving and/or resource creation/consumption, like an EMP), but I can't think of a way to hack that in. You can see the most up to date version on my GitHub (with Tesla Boom), which I can't be bothered to link because I'm on mobile.

Also... I got kinda distracted from all this today and made a mod which allows the Locusts to replicate by alt-firing. Took a long time to figure out how to balance it, ended up giving them negative HP regen like the Squalls, so you can't spam them to infinity for kinda-free. I'll put it on PAMM tomorrow.