[SOLVED WITH WORKAROUND]Game Crashes On Startup

Discussion in 'Support!' started by roadsidebody480, August 22, 2015.

1. roadsidebody480

roadsidebody480 New Member

Hey, I just bought this game because I remembered playing Total Annihilation with my brothers back in y2k03. I downloaded it from steam and immediately started playing it! I switched over to another game to play with a friend and when I came back to PA: Titans I would be greeted with a pop of static in my wireless headset, and a white screen that when clicked on would pop up a dialog box saying: PA.exe is not responding
    I tried multiple times restarting my computer and even re-downloading the entire game. If I'm quick at starting the game upon restarting my PC I'm able to get to the main menu before it freezes. Attached are the DxDiag and log file for my PC and most recent attempt. Please help me sort this out. TA used to be my favorite game. I'm hoping PA will be my new one.

Attached Files:

2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Your system DPI setting is currently at 125%. Could you try setting that back to 100%? It causes issues sometimes.
    roadsidebody480 likes this.
  3. roadsidebody480

I just switched the dpi setting and did a restart. Confirmed that the setting stuck and tried to run the game. Same result, not fixed.
  4. DeathByDenim

This may sound odd, but could you try unplugging your headset? There is a bug around somewhere that causes crashes in PA when certain headset are connected. Usually it isn't as extreme as in your case, but it's an easy thing to test.
  5. roadsidebody480

It's a wireless headset... do I need to uninstall drivers?
  6. DeathByDenim

Yeah, but the transmitter/receiver is a small USB dongle attached to the PC, right?
  7. roadsidebody480

Yes it is. This is the exact headset I have http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Gaming-Headset-Surround/dp/B003VANOFY . I unplugged it, restarted my laptop and still issue is persisting.
  8. roadsidebody480

Just restarted my pc and raced to get into PA. I made it in to the main menu. However the INSTANT I clicked on settings it locked up. Could it be that it is some program on my pc that keeps crashing PA? If I rush, I get in, but some program loads ( <--- Straight assumption ) and then my game crashes. If that's the case, how can I tell what program it is that is loading and crashing? Would It have to be a Startup program? Attached are the log from the most recent attempt to load the game (got farther than anything else), and a screen shot of my startup programs.

Attached Files:

9. DeathByDenim

Hmm, could be. I don't see anything obvious in the list. Try a clean boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/
  10. roadsidebody480

I have solved it! The issue occur when playing in full screen on an exterior monitor! Work around is to start the game with without hdmi cable plugged in, after start up you can plug it back in if you wish. If you disable full screen all together you're fine playing on a second monitor without unplugging it. Thank you DeathByDenim. We should play a match some time !
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  11. DeathByDenim

Nice find! Interesting workaround though. I wonder why a second monitor full screen is causing PA to behave like that. Anyway, glad you can play!
    Also, thanks for posting this and yeah, see you around. I'm on PA Chat every so often. (PA Chat is a mod you can install using PAMM)
  12. azapheus

azapheus New Member

i dont have 2 screens and it allso crashes , cable pullout doesnt work :'(