Orbital Deep Space Radar where is thou?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by Zenotheory, August 19, 2015.

1. Zenotheory

Zenotheory Member

Is this a bug or intentional? and if so which unit/structure picked up it slack?
    eroticburrito likes this.
  2. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Removed from the game. Orbital units are now always visible as far as I know since the orbital radar did just that...
  3. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Correct :)
    pieman2906 likes this.
  4. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Well, the downsite of Titan is that one of the best looking buildings was removed from the game... :(
    Couldn´t it be reused as some kind of MEGA-Radar instead---the animation of the unfolding OADR is just to awesome to disappear! :D
    cptconundrum, cdrkf, stuart98 and 2 others like this.
  5. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Always found the orbital radar cool looking, too bad it is gone. But many many players forget to build one so I understand this choice.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  6. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

This has the side effect of nerfing Astraeus indirectly, poor thing really needs a hand.
    stuart98 likes this.
  7. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

It was inspired off the TA Solar Pyramids I believe. I hope the art returns somehow or other, it was a great building.
    cptconundrum, Remy561, cdrkf and 3 others like this.
  8. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

R.I.P ODSR, you never know the value of some things until you lose them.
  9. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

We may see it return, I definitely feel that removing it hurts the strategy of the game since it makes it hard to get a stealth expansion early. I guess they wanted to avoid early anchor cheesing, but how about just giving all buildings orbital vision directly above them, so we still have to build the radar to get orbital vision everywhere?
  10. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

Naa, i think removing it is a pretty good move for gameplay purposes.

It's already a building that is entirely binary in function, all other radars need to be placed in a given spot to provide radar to that specific area of interest, ODSR is entirely binary in function, you build a single one anywhere in the system, and it gives you all orbital intel. This makes it a mandatory build step, and doesn't matter where you build it, as long as you have one.

This adds yet another thing that players have to keep track of, in terms of remembering to build one and noticing if they lose it, much less hassle to just remove it and give everyone the ability by default, since there's already so much to keep track of.

It also removes one of the more common pitfalls that causes new players to go "wut, I don't understand why I'm dying, this is crap I quit."
    Last edited: August 23, 2015
    cptconundrum likes this.
  11. daTomas

daTomas Member

If it is removed, then what is he doing in Galactic war campaign?

Funny thing is while it is built, the game is unresponsive, but after that is fine.

Attached Files:

• DSR.JPG
      DSR.JPG
      File size:
      953.1 KB
      Views:
    • DSR2.JPG
      DSR2.JPG
      File size:
      914.9 KB
      Views:
  12. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

It's called a bug. ;-)
    Look in the support forum. I think someone else already reported it.
    daTomas likes this.
  13. daTomas

daTomas Member

I look it just now, and when no mod are active, it's gone.

I have only UI mods: PA-FX, Classic color, 24 hour clock and some System sharing and custom map packs.
  14. crizmess

Well, then one of those mods is doing something funny. Maybe altering the unit spec?
    If you are really eager you can try to find out which mod is causing it, by only enabling one mod a time.
    If you found something, I' m pretty sure the modder would be happy if you report it.
    (my uneducated guess would be PA-FX)
  15. lordathon

lordathon Active Member

Delete the ODSR... How can you make a backstab gate in early game? A fast extract? That was cool strat but this will never work now.

This is just crazy to remove it from the building list and give the orbital visions at all units...
  16. crizmess

Yes, it removes some strategies from the game, but on the other side the orbital reconnaissance was really awkward in some ways. (For starters: There was no indication of fog of war in the orbital shell)
    As long as there is no major rework of the orbital shell, I think this is a good solution.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  17. Zenotheory

Zenotheory Member

Well if it is gone for good bring back the ODSR model and make it a Tier 2 Orbital Defense Tractor Beam that pulls down orbital units into the planet atmosphere which cause them to crash onto the planet surface:)
  18. zodiusinfuser

zodiusinfuser Member

How about make it a T2/3 building that gives you ground radar on a neighbouring planet (that you target) or any planets in a given radius excluding the one it's built on. The latter would allow you to see what's on moons orbiting a main planet for example, and perhaps nearby planets who's orbits get close. If that is too powerful maybe it could only cover half of each moon's surface (the side facing the planet it's built on).
    Zenotheory likes this.
  19. Going4Quests

Going4Quests Active Member

I think it'd be an interesting idea to get intel on planets that pass closely, at the side that's facing the radar.
    Zenotheory likes this.
  20. duncane

duncane Active Member

With the right cost why not give it full radar on the whole system. Not vision just radar and not radar on the planet its on.
  21. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Shame for the building itself, it's a beautiful piece of art. I hope we get it repurposed!
    cptconundrum likes this.