Expansion instead of DLC?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by tehtrekd, August 18, 2015.

1. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Usually expandalones are done so the game makers can use the same engine to create something completely different (see: Far Cry Blood Dragon, arguably Battlefield Hardline)
    This is just adding on to an already existing game, so what's the purpose of going the expansion route?
  2. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Ever heard of Forged Alliance?
  4. tehtrekd

5. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Don't know but I bet: "Stand-alone expansions ..... since they require less shelf space and are generally easier to move since they don't carry the prerequisite of owning the original game."* Probably something like that.:p
  6. tehtrekd

I guess that's fair.
    But even then I'm a little weirded out by the decision. I mean FA included more than a few units, it upped the visuals quite a bit as well. At least they should take PA original off Steam so no one accidentally buys it instead of Titans (since, let's be fair Titans is pretty much replacing vanilla).

Also kinda weirded out by the fact that the discount for PA owners is limited, but I guess two months is long enough to get anyone that's interested in it.
    stuart98 and maskedcrash like this.
  7. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

I'm really wondering the same thing. Why didn't they just make it an addon? I'm ok with the price, it seems like a lot of good new content, and I'm probably going to get it, but why make it a separate game when it isn't? Now they have to (and are going to) shut down the original game's storepage so you can't buy it anymore accidentally, why go all through that mess? Why did they choose the hard route?
  8. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Separate the expansion from the terrible Steam reviews? Make it more attractive to new players? Seems like a better business decision for Uber overall.
    stuart98 and ryan375 like this.
  9. tehtrekd

Knowing people on the internet, people will buy it JUST so they can give it a negative review :p
    Just kidding, though I don't think that'll actually happen.
    optimi likes this.
  10. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Other standalone expansions within the RTS sphere, notably, involve most of the Dawn of War series (and sequels).

It's more common than perhaps you'd think.
    cdrkf likes this.
  11. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

Standalone expansions don't seem that unusual these days. Also good to get something of a tabula rasa so the new version can be evaluated on its own merits, and go back through the reviewer cycles.
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Plus don't Starve Together is a full expansion and the old single player one is still up on the steam store, despite being the same game without multiplayer.
  13. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

I guess time will tell if it was a good decision or not.

Regardless, I'm going to hold off a bit, watch some videos first... I've got two months anyway.
    galaxyisos likes this.