PA WILL NOT LONGER BE SOLD?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by woutske, August 18, 2015.

1. woutske

woutske New Member

planktum and ArchieBuld like this.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

titans IS PA.

I don't see the difference.

Was Forged Alliance a bad thing to happen to SupCom? ;)
    nateious, Nicb1, warrenkc and 2 others like this.
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

They launched PA over a year ago and did lots of free patches to it since. Also they're not disabling or stopping original PA. It will remain fully playable without the upgrade.

Final point, if you already own PA, they're offering it at 66% discount. Hardly strikes me as unreasonable.
    Nicb1 and warrenkc like this.
  4. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

So you're basically saying TITANS is just a patch for PA? Good, Uber promised free updates in the future, soooo...zing?
    w33dkingca likes this.
  5. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

As far as I'm aware they didn't rule out paid updates.

If you're going to be a pedant, you need to be better than that ;)
  6. jables

jables Uber Employee

TITANS goes well beyond anything promised in the original pitch, which is why it is an expansion pack and not to be confused with the monthly updates.
    Remy561, nateious, tunsel11 and 13 others like this.
  7. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

I'm very happy with the content introduce in Titans, and would gladly pay the $14 or whatever if I was not a backer. The new units really flesh out the roster, the new map system with multiple tiers is awesome, and the titans are just icing on the cake.
    Nicb1, warrenkc and cdrkf like this.
  8. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Oh my, the steam forums are just going haywire on that topic.

Uber actually had two options: Sell it as a DLC for existing customers (and include per default for new customers!), or market it as a "standalone product".

Looks like the option chosen, wasn't the best.... Now even existing customers have two almost identical titles in their library, one of which flags itself as "DEPRECATED". That's not how it is supposed to work.
    woutske likes this.
  9. cola_colin

Oh I am sure they would've raged about DLC just as much.
    Remy561, tunsel11, warrenkc and 4 others like this.
  10. exterminans

But at least existing customers wouldn't have ended up with a now unusable title in their library.

It also kind of feels like cheating - I think they did it on purpose to clear out the old Steam reviews. I fear this plan is going to backfire, I must assume that the reviews are going to be even worse than on the original title soon enough.
    woutske, stuart98 and planktum like this.
  11. cola_colin

Why unusable? You can play vanilla PA all you want. You can even play with people who have titans, as titans is able to turn off extra content when joining vanilla servers.
    warrenkc likes this.
  12. exterminans

The base client prompts you not to use it any more once you own Titans. Instead it asks you to use solely the Titans client and the switch option.
  13. cola_colin

Yeah and what is the problem with that?
    warrenkc likes this.
  14. exterminans

Now the standalone vanilla version is just useless clutter in your library. Not a single other game on Steam does such a thing.
    stuart98 likes this.
  15. spnkrgrenth

spnkrgrenth New Member

Agreed completely Cola. It's all I see anymore, no matter the game.

@exterminans What do you mean useless clutter? I can still play the base PA without any trouble, is Steam not letting you run it? If so, that's a serious issue that should hopefully be fixed pronto.
  16. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

I'm super happy that Titans is a proper expansion. Even better that it is standalone. It's really a welcome addition to an already great game. The rolling wave of entitlement from people is depressing, but not surprising. No, backing kickstarter or early access did not grant you endless access to uber's first born children. None of the features in the expansion were part of the original PA vision. In fact MOST OF THEM were explicitly said to never be in the game. PA isn't being 'abandoned', any more than the original TA expansions 'abandoned' that game.
    Remy561 and warrenkc like this.
  17. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Erm.. Well SC:FA kinda works exactly the same. You can own either own and you don't need either.
    Remy561 and Nicb1 like this.
  18. exterminans

Erm.. Well SC:FA kinda works exactly the same. You can own either own and you don't need either.[/QUOTE]
    Not exactly. SC and SC:FA are shipping with entirely distinct content. (Slightly) different engine, different unit set, different campaign. Only few assets are actually shared by these two.

With PA:T, the entire "Vanilla" asset set, including vanilla UI und who knows what else, is still completely shipped with the expansion. Once you know PA:T, there is no reason to use the vanilla client ever again, as the content is completely bundled with PA:T.

Heck, they are even binary almost identical, except for vanilla standalone lacking the media/pa_ex1 folder. Standalone. As if. It's entirely untouched vanilla PA, with a single 168MB extension folder.

That's unlike SC and SC:FA, where you actually had to start either client, depended on which campaign, unit set or UI you would prefer. I actually still have both of these installed.
  19. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Arkham City and I'm sure others would disagree with you.

Oh wait, Dawn of War II.

I could probably go digging for more.

You are confusing your personal dislike of redundant titles in your Steam Library for an actual poor business choice.
    tunsel11 likes this.
  20. Going4Quests

Going4Quests Active Member

You can hide games in your library.
    Morloc likes this.