Alternative PA Launcher

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by DeathByDenim, March 8, 2015.

1. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Could you try opening "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp". You should be able to copy-paste that in the address bar of Explorer. Does it contain a file called "PAAlternativeLauncher.log"? If so, can you post it here? (You may need to rename it to a .txt file to allow it to be uploaded on this forum)
  2. thundercleez

thundercleez Member

It just contains a single line.

[LOG] Starting launcher Sun Aug 2 14:09:10 2015
  3. DeathByDenim

Well, time to expand the logging then. :)
    Could you overwrite the current paalternativelauncher.exe with the one attached and try again? It should generate a more useful log now.

Attached Files:

4. thundercleez

thundercleez Member

2 lines now

[LOG] (Starting launcher) Sun Aug 2 14:56:06 2015
    [LOG] (Button) Attempting to log in

edit: I downloaded the source and was looking through the code. Unsurprisingly, immediately after validating the login fields, a login request is made. So I ran wireshark while running the launcher and no traffic is generated after hitting login.

So it must be crashing between passing validations and doing the connect. The only possible spot that could crash there is the mNetworkAccessManager dereference, but it looks like that's created during construction, so it should be ok. My guess is the issue is not in your code, but the Q library you're using. I guess the crash could also happen while building the request string, though it seems less likely, but that's also in the lib.

Maybe it'll run once I upgrade to Win 10. Though that won't be for a while.
    Last edited: August 2, 2015
  5. DeathByDenim

Well, that's disappointingly short, but it helps narrow it down at least. I've attached a new version with more logging around the point where it fails.

How familiar are you with the command line in Windows by the way? Would you be able to run the launcher from there to see if any additional errors can be found?

Attached Files:

6. thundercleez

thundercleez Member

I did try to run from command line to see if any other errors showed up, but there was nothing. The log now looks like:
    [LOG] (Starting launcher) Sun Aug 2 16:36:02 2015
    [LOG] (Button) Attempting to log in
    [LOG] (Network Access Manager) Exist
  7. DeathByDenim

Interesting place to crash... Thanks though! I've narrowed it down to the exact line where the launcher crashes now. Albeit without good reason for doing so. Could you try the following from the command line?
    Code:
    set PATH=
    set OPENSSL_CONF=
    paalternativelauncher
  8. thundercleez

thundercleez Member

I tried running that, but it didn't seem to make any difference. It crashed the same as before with the same logs as before.
  9. DeathByDenim

Odd, this make little sense. It crashes right here, but everything seems to be in order according to the log you sent me. I need to think about this a bit...
  10. DeathByDenim

New version released. Main bugfix is not crashing when downloading PA: Titans. I'm not sure if Mac and Windows were doing that too, but it works on all platforms now.

(@thundercleez : Sorry, I really have no idea why you get crashes...)
  11. lostyack

lostyack New Member

Dark font foreground on dark background: bad mix.
    Since you (properly IMHO) respect colors of current theme, text can end up black, and with dark background it's completely unreadable.
    It would be good to color the panels background with current theme's bg, or something..

So it wont end up like that: Screenshot-PA Alternative Launcher.png
  12. DeathByDenim

Well, the respecting of the current theme is quite accidental since I clearly didn't test for that scenario. :)

I should probably make the mod description white though since the panel background is just the stars from Galactic War and a bit darkened for the mod panel. That part isn't read from any themes.
  13. lostyack

lostyack New Member

Anyhow, Launcher is very good, updates everything ok, good options, would run again :)
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  14. DeathByDenim

Finally got around to updating this thing. Fixes:
    • Taskbar progress on Linux and Windows
    • Better settings storage
    • Fix not creating empty files
    • Added debug function for finding duplicates
    • Disable mods since we have in-game mod manager
    • Save username after successful login
    • Allow for not using steam-runtime on Linux
    • Default to Launch button after login
    • Fixed compiler warnings
    Available for download at https://github.com/DeathByDenim/PAAlternativeLauncher/releases/tag/v1.0.0
    theseeker2 and lulamae like this.
  15. DeathByDenim

Version 1.0.1
    Just a minor bug fix. Using the "Advanced" button in Windows and macOS caused a crash.
    cdrkf likes this.
  16. DeathByDenim

Version 1.0.2
    New builds brought a bug to light, fixed now as well as some improvements:
    • Better Qt5 attribution
    • Fix steam rename warning.
    • Fix error dialog now showing properly
    • Fix update available message
    • Remember selected stream
    • Fix symlinking error on Linux and macOS
    • Fix duplicate file error on Windows
    • Properly log errors and warnings
    • Change "Uber" to "Planetary Annihilation Inc."
    lulamae likes this.
  17. slipstik

slipstik New Member

i found your launcher because the pa launcher kept crashing while downloading . It also did not resume where it left off. so i searched for a reason and did not find but i found your launcher. Now i get the error "error while getting bundle (2) connection closed".
    then i have to restart and it does not resume where it stopped. pretty much the same as the pa launcher.
    windows 10
  18. DeathByDenim

This has been a while since I haven't been checking much lately, so the problem may have resolved itself by now, but if both my launcher and the official PA launcher can't complete the download, that would indicate network issues. That's of course a very vague answer, but if you are on wireless, try plugging in a cable to the router. Sometimes university networks are a bit filter-happy too if you are on those. "Connection closed" means that something terminated your connection, but it could be anywhere along the line.