General Address.. State of Ladder

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by nosebreaker, August 1, 2015.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

full list is attached

Attached Files:

andreasgg and elodea like this.
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Ranked 1v1s are dead. Long live the FFA.

This is not new. It's just becoming more and more obvious to the folks who enjoyed 1v1s more than others :)
  3. cola_colin

I just today started playing 1v1 ranked again.
    I was kinda surprised when I had 2 games with opponents who were decent. No newbies to be found.
  4. nosebreaker

nosebreaker Post Master General

The Nosebreaker woke up this morning and finds the ladder is not fixed yet.........

Uber, The Nosebreaker was pretty clear this ladder needs fixing, Why have you not addressed it!!!!!!!! ?

The Entire community wants it fixed .... you had all last night!!!!!!!
    Its a simple fix!!!!!!!!

The Nosebreaker wonders how we the community can get Uber to address the ladder system.
    He is thankfull there is at least a form of ladder.
    Just because The Nosebreaker had toast for breakfast does not mean He wishes to have toast for every breakfast........
    There is more to life than just toast......
    Toast is highly addaptable The Ladder is not............ ...................................... !

The Nosebreaker likes this post
  5. cola_colin

yeah they clearly broke over 9000 promises the moment they did not react to a thread in the forums over a weekend's night.

:D
    mot9001 and stuart98 like this.
  6. nosebreaker

The Nosebreaker is concerned the end of the world is approaching
    So many people agree with him, This is no how it is suppose to Happen!!!!!
    The Nosebreaker can not continue to be.
    As he is.
    The most popular person on this forum with people agreeing with him.
    Yes Cola you are correct The Nosebreaker is correct!

7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Stuart98 thinks that the Nosebreaker should ask Jables about it on Monday 'cause Jables answers 3 questions a day on week days.

Stuart98 will be angry if the Nosebreaker continues complaining without doing this.

Stuart98 does not like this post because that's impossible. This makes Stuart98 sad.
    avatar100400 and badfucatus like this.
  8. nosebreaker

Thank you stuart for your advice ... How did it go with your complaint to Uber that their patch and game was broken because your mod no longer worked after pa got a patch......
    Did you get a result ??
    The Nosebreaker knows !!!

9. nosebreaker

Cat got your tounge ?

The Nosebreaker LOVES this post
  10. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Stuart98 is not amused by The Nosebreakers' posts.

The Nosebreaker likes this post.
    nosebreaker likes this.
  11. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

It would be nice if you ("Nosebreaker") actually would discuss what other people said about your idea of fixing ladder.

I dont find constant sillyness entertaining, if topic is serious.
    tunsel11 likes this.
  12. nosebreaker

Since you add nothing to the topic, xanoxis.

Since you merely seek to admonish The Nosebreaker.

Since you Do not Find the entertainment to your liking.

You are here by and forever forth unwelcome to look upon The Nosebreakers Words...........

13. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

I made posts in the topic and responded to your idea, and you said nothing, so lets not say that I add nothing.
  14. andreasgg

andreasgg Well-Known Member

That is a type of ladder that id like to see in public. There may be a problem with inactive users but the point is that the players get some points to se the difference between them and other players they want to bypass, and a number to se the climbing and progress. That way the ladder responds to what you do and it is easier to se your development. That is a ladder that give the player response and are motivating. I am only a guy trowing my opinions out there though...

(I am kind of shocked right now that I am counted as the nr. 11 pa player in 1v1 in the ladders history according to the pa stats registered 1v1s:p Cool )
  15. towerbabbel

towerbabbel Active Member

A chess ranking system is what we have now. Glicko was developed as an improvement for ELO, which us what chess ranking systems are usually based on. Problem is that chess ranking systems serve a somewhat different purposes than the PA ladder. A chess rating is an attempt at a "scientific" measure of player skill. The PA ladder isn't just about skill, but should also incentivize and reward play. In many ways you can think of it as a ongoing tournament. A tournament isn't won by the best player, but by the best player that actually shows up.

I am much in agreement with what @Quitch says in that article. He also touches on the problems of using Glicko for ladder ranking and suggests unlinking rating for ranking. He gives some vague ideas for how ranking should be done instead, but does not provide a actual algorithm, which I do. In that sense my proposal is entirely complementary to what @Quitch is suggesting. In some ways what I am suggesting is even simpler than what he hints at. He also talks about much more like leagues and seasons. All of which are cool stuff. But implementing all of that is probably a lot of work, ie expensive, while my suggested change would have a big effect and still could be done in an afternoon. It has the biggest Return on Investment on any change you could do to the ladder.

As I mentioned earlier I think ranking and matchmaking are orthogonal concerns, and do definitively not suggest that ladder ranking or points should be used for matchmaking. The current Glicko system serves that role fine. The only problem is that there aren't enough players playing for the matchmaking to be able to do much.

Displaying peoples Glicko rating confidence interval is a sound idea that I support. I think Uber is way too coy overall with information about players on the ladder
    stuart98 and xanoxis like this.
  16. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

Yikes! There goes the clever money. Fingers crossed for Hot Dog related instead.
  17. Greendolph

Greendolph Active Member

If only the skill gap wasn't so wide..
    At least under the current system good players "tend to" play other good players.
  18. julien119

julien119 Member

Here is a formatted table with ranks and display names as different columns

https://goo.gl/0I6WnJ

I apologize if your name is now error but it imported like that.
    andreasgg likes this.
  19. cola_colin

Another thing on ladder play: The pause system is ... bad atm.
    180 seconds wait for every rage quit people do is quite a lot. It's also bad you cant do a pause when you need on.
    Copy how other games are doing it:
    - Allow at most 3 pauses
    - Reduce the timeout to 120 seconds or less (and make it only once that time. Do not allow trolls to reconnect once every 110 seconds...)
  20. nosebreaker

WOW Another DAY with out a patch to the ladder.
    How long will this insanity last!!!!
    Lots of good ideas pretty most much all of them are better option that what we have now........