The Asteroid Update - Hotfix Build 85423 & Release build 85138

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mkrater, July 31, 2015.

1. sgrock

sgrock Member

I am not a fan of unintended orbital impacts.
    I was just destroyed by a team mate who launched an asteroid at another planet (my commander was not on either).

:(
  2. tesseracta

tesseracta Active Member

Will there be any more major updates?
  3. WaylanderPK

WaylanderPK Member

That's cool, its based off Ubuntu 14.04, It only showed up two patches ago. LMK if you want any more info, happy to help.
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. KnavishPlum

KnavishPlum Active Member

Yay! Asteroids are finally here! But, while this may not be a big issue, actually t is very small, when I build units with the land factory, the little flap doors do not go down when the unit is down, they stay up and the unit goes though them. Again not a big issue, just something that I would bring up as it looks a little goofy.
    cdrkf likes this.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Nice update! What I don't understand is the huge waves of negativity in the kickstarter comments... Makes me wonder if any of these people have played a patch since about beta with the nonsense they're spouting.

There's even one who declared they will denounce anything uber ever tries to do in future until the day they die...?! Why? You'd think after hitting every major aspect and supporting the game long after launch people would ease up a bit.
    devoh, Remy561, davostheblack and 3 others like this.
  6. lostmekka

lostmekka Member

In psychology this is called the effect of belief perseverance. It basically works like this:
    1. Convince someone to have a weird opinion on something and base your arguments on lies or misinformation.
    2. Let this someone announce his opinion publicly. (optional, but VERY effective)
    3. Let someone (preferably someone else) publicly clarify the situation, debilitating the false arguments.
    4. Result: The convinced person has a high probability of revolting against the correction and may well be strengthened in his false belief to keep his world view consistent. This is incredibly difficult to overcome, even if you know about this effect.
    This is one of the big reasons why smear campaigns work even when uncovered.
    Maybe the best strategy against irrational haters is not trying to convince them, but to simply ignore them...
    More to read if anyone is interested:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias#Persistence_of_discredited_beliefs
    And here is a very extreme example of this:
    http://www.alleydog.com/glossary/definition.php?term=Belief Perseverance

edit: Seeing these haters as opposition only leads to an entrenched time-consuming war. What is really happening is that both we and the haters are victims of this psychological effect. Some form of cooperation would be best, but I don't even know how to begin there^^
    Last edited: August 1, 2015
    cptconundrum, MrTBSC, Remy561 and 5 others like this.
  7. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

What the hell did you do?????
  8. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

Uh, so there is no way to counter asteroid? Dude sands orbital fab, build tele, sends 20 advanced fabs they build one halley in seconds and asteroid is on its way to kill eveyrone. Can't target nuke or unit cannot. Can't really react and counter.

That's pretty lame. One engine and it insta kills whole big planet with 8 players.
    devoh, MrTBSC, Remy561 and 3 others like this.
  9. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

It's weird you can't do anything while traveling, but if you did not contested asteroid, its your fault you lost :p You probably had time for that.
    cptconundrum and Bsport like this.
  10. n00n

n00n Active Member

This update has introduced an issue (Linux user) causing an empty friends list and several of these messages:
    Code:
    [14:20:13.981] INFO [COUI] Argument conversion failed: Wrong type - expected String, got Null while converting argument 2 for handler panel.writeSession
  11. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

I modified the Asteroid belt effect and attached it to a unit...

I plan on making it in to a mod using the asteroid belt effect to place rings around planets "Like Saturn"
    lafncow and cdrkf like this.
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Are you sure that is not just the random "empty friendlist" issue that is sorta fixed by /tryfixfriends in PA Chat?
    n00n likes this.
  13. chocrates

chocrates New Member

Same OS same issue. I think this is a regression since this has worked for me before (though I think I had the cursor fix mod on, don't exactly remember).
    If you remove the ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Planetary Annihilation/media/ui/main/game/live_game/img/cursors/cursor.png it will fallback to a normal mouse and you can navigate the UI.
    Once you are in game the invisible background on the PNG renders white for the other cursors and when you finish a game it will continue using the last cursor it was using.
    Still, its kinda playable again!
  14. Zenotheory

Zenotheory Member

Found a game breaking bug. Never cover your entire planet with mines game nearly crash until build order was cancelled was a size 750 lava planet.
  15. n00n

n00n Active Member

I was unaware of that. It indeed fixed it, thanks. :D
  16. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

I've now played a good few team games on the 85138, and I got to say, those asteroids are really cool. It brings a really cool new dynamic to the game

Really good work there, thank you Uber, as always
    cdrkf likes this.
  17. zeroimperial

zeroimperial New Member

18. maxpowerz

I really really like the new asteroid belt effect.....

Just the "Dust" layer in it'self can be reused in so many ways...
    Like this..

Or even as a Dynamic Atmosphere for the Lava Planet by making it surround the whole planet..
    (Video Coming of the Dynamic Atmosphere soon)
    Remy561, tunsel11 and stuart98 like this.
  19. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

Running into a problem where a series of factories are set but only the first is built. Same for when I set all 5 catalysts. And not all air fabbers participated in one of the builds, even though they are gathered up. Here's the video of it in action. http://pnh.savvyhk2.net/misc/Placement.mp4
    sevmek likes this.
  20. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Gotta turn down the emissionBursts :p
  21. maxpowerz

LOL, i'm using 6 layers of the 1 effect..
    I could just cut back on the amount of repeated dust layers..
    If i only use 1 layer it's barely visible against the space background..
    I need to work on it some more, it's just first pass to get sizing and offset's right.