Ranked match making is horribly broken

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Greendolph, July 16, 2015.

1. Greendolph

Greendolph Active Member

I am currently having issues with my internet so I don't get to play ranked as often as I would like, but when I can play regularly a serious issue comes up.

I have an 80 to 90% win rate, and it's not because I'm particularly good.

It is only in PA that I can win 4 or 5 matches, go to sleep, wake up, go to work, get home, win 3 more matches and have my rank drop by 3 to 10 positions.
    Regularly.
    Week after week.

My rank goes down more while I am at work than it goes up when I defeat platinum players.

I would like to have longer queue times if it meant I was playing against players near my skill level. I am currently mid gold - and I haven't played another gold ranked player in ranked for about a month (based on the strategies employed by players I've defeated and the stats of players who have defeated me). At least 40% of my games are against players who don't claim more than this first 4 or 5 mex closes to where their commander lands. Another 40% expand aggressively to the first 15 mex they can grab and then shut down he first time they lose their fabbers.

I can not learn and progress as a player or in the ladder when every game is either a) rofl stomping or b) against players much better than myself. The players i'm getting matched with generally don't learn much from me in return, either.
    stuart98 likes this.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

yea this was discussed a hundred of times ..
    lack of players
    rather having a season leaguesystem/pointsystem

with elo being rather a hidden thing
  3. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

Just to let you know, the ladder system hides inactive players. That means that if those players come back and they are above you in the rank, it will make you drop even if your real 'rating' hasn't changed.
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  4. corwin1

corwin1 Member

SupCom 2 had the most simple and practical solution for this - you decided +/- how big ranking point difference you want to match. Wait a long time for a good match, or allow potentially bad match to get a game faster? Up to you.

Having control on matchups is also normal in chess/go servers, and it should work fine in any game with Elo-type ratings. In video games there just seems to be this unfortunate trend of hiding such things and keeping control away from players.