Asteroid Poll

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by killerkiwijuice, June 25, 2015.

?

Thoughts on asteroids and their destruction

1. Asteroids + planet collision destroys entire planet

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Asteroids + planet collisions don't destroy entire planet/use current crater system

51 vote(s)
    79.7%
  3. Planet + planet collisions destroy both planets

54 vote(s)
    84.4%
  4. Planet + planet collisions dont destroy both planets/use current crater system

5 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Asteroids + asteroid collisions destroy both asteroids completely

60 vote(s)
    93.8%
  6. Asteroids + asteroid collisions don't destroy both asteroids completely/use current crater system

3 vote(s)
    4.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

So there's mostly an unorganized chatter in that one thread and I want to get a legit vote system going here, so here it is.

Thoughts on asteroids and their destruction?

And please lets try to avoid trolls picking every option.
  2. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

What about glancing strikes? because those are quite interesting o_O
    mot9001 likes this.
  3. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

By destroy both planets completely, I mean more along the lines of killing everything and changing biome type (if possible) rather than obliterate both. For asteroid on asteroid impacts, I'm okay with mutual destruction. On any impact I'd love the biome type to change to lava for most if not all of the planet, and if the animation could be similar to the KS I'd love @bgolus forever and ever.
    bengeocth, mot9001 and Planktum like this.
  4. Geers

Geers Post Master General

B-but... it depends on the sizes!
  5. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Asteroids should be small and have no metal resource spots on them. The number of Halleys required to move an asteroid should be relative to the size of the asteroid (maybe 1 or 2 maximum). Therefore the resources required to move the Asteroid is always relative to the size of the destruction you can create (if we go with the crater option).

I like the idea of planets destroying other planets completely, because this gives you a bigger incentive to forgo the income you are generating from your planet in order to destroy another planet. And planets should require more Halleys than Asteroids (so minimum 3 halleys) to compensate for the level of (planetary wide) destuction they can do compared with Asteroids (craters).

And someone in another post has suggested that a nuke could possibly destroy an asteroid. Or alternatively maybe a nuke could split one larger asteroid (which requiring 2 halleys) into two smaller asteroids (each requiring 1 halley). And another nuke would destroy the small asteroids completely.

There's definitely some interesting ideas being thrown around which could make the implementation of asteroids quite nice to say the least.
    Last edited: June 25, 2015
    xankar and killerkiwijuice like this.
  6. Planktum

I vote that with the implementation of asteroids, the minimum planet size should be increased (differentiation moons from asteroids even further).

And only certain units should be able to land on the asteroids. Or alternative only fabbers can land on asteroids and new orbital units are developed to counter asteroid play (in addition to nukes and laser satellites).
    ace63, xankar and killerkiwijuice like this.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I mean it's totally not our decision, but whatever.
  8. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

This poll is very poorly worded.
    pieman2906 likes this.
  9. Planktum

Of course it's not our decision, but intelligent people still contemplate to the ideas of others.
  10. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well...... that's the slyest insult I've had all day.
  11. Planktum

It wasn't meant as an insult.
  12. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

wow, I knew the community was in favour of a differentiated system, but I don't think I've ever seen this community this close to unanimous on a topic before...
    cdrkf, xanoxis, ace63 and 1 other person like this.
  13. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I do agree that it isn't our decision, but as members of the PA community we do have some influence, and we can at least point them in a direction that we'd all enjoy. Really, I'm very much in favor of trying it out their way and our way, and I hope that they can achieve that, because I think it will result in a much more polished release of asteroids.

Eh, I think that the poll doesn't really get across all of the points too well, but then again, that is what the replies are for!
  14. kayonsmit101

kayonsmit101 Active Member

Legit voting... LOL

On a not sarcastic note this should all depend on sizes as mr geers has already stated.
  15. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

that's what the crater system means
  16. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i supose the pole speaks for itself even with that comparibly small number
    but also agree with @Geers

@Quitch
    while it´s not well explained i think the intend is clear enough like restricting planetoiddamage to "classes" or categories

@mikeyh did a good threadOP on that as well to were an asteroid at best wipes the surface of a planet and creates unbuildable space but doesn´t annihilate it as to were a full planet does, so recolonysing with more limited buildspace is possible ...
    Last edited: June 25, 2015
  17. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Well the other thread already made it quite clear that people were not in favor of the ideas @jables proposed - now we have the proof.
    Seriously, think it through. We don't need 3 ways to entirely destroy a planet. More strategic choices = better game.
  18. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

It's clear what the poll is trying to do, but the poll fails to do it because the answers are open to interpretation so you cannot derive any meaning from the results.
  19. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

You can at least tell people don't want yet another binary game ender which will be the same as the other two.
  20. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

just admit you're the person who checked both "asteroids vs asteroids should destroy everything" and "asteroids vs asteroids should destroy not both of them".
    :p
    ace63 likes this.