Way to script custom behavior for: units, ammo, etc.?

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by RiQQ, June 19, 2015.

1. RiQQ

RiQQ New Member

Hello.

I would like to customize a lot of units in the game and i feel the .JSON files are not flexible enough for my purposes. So i would like to know is there any way to create custom scripts for units, or is there anywhere to be found script files for them which i could edit?

Thanks a heap upfront!

RiQQ
  2. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

Hi RiQQ, server side scripting is not possible at the moment :(. There are however, a lot of people on the forums who understand unit blueprints quite well. If you are willing, you can post some of your ideas and see if we can figure something out.
    elodea likes this.
  3. RiQQ

RiQQ New Member

Thank you for your answer. Have there been announced, or are there any beliefs that this could be possible somewhere in the near future?

RiQQ
  4. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

It really depends on what you intend to do. As far as I know, the unit logic is a actually compiled into the engine, which means it isn't able to be scripted. The parts that are scripted are more related to the spawning of commanders etc. i.e. the overarching control of some parts of the game.

Although the units are not 'scriptable', there are quite a bit of things you can use since there are many options for how you want to define you units. The JSON files essentially let you define the components that the unit gets. The components trigger the predetermined unit logic components, taking in the parameters from the unit file of course.

Please take this with a grain of salt :p. I could be very much wrong!
  5. RiQQ

RiQQ New Member

Yes, i was kinda hoping maybe devs would be reworking there scripting possibility, ofcourse i understand it would be huge overhaul and amount of work. Guess the JSON has to suffice for now then. :)

Thanks again for the answer.

RiQQ
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Yeah my understanding is there is quite a lot of stuff not available to modders yet, although Uber are pretty mod friendly (they did quite a lot of stuff specifically to allow for modding). It's one of those things, if they get sufficient time / money going forward it will get added in over time.