Soo.... Asteroids?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by freddymc, June 16, 2015.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

@cwarner7264 star citizen is already attracting criticism... Just look at you tube comments section after any video 'its a scam' and 'its pay to win' come up frequently. The sums ofmoney involved sound ridiculous to most people (like 2mill did for pa), although in reality what they have is a full AAA budget, and they're going for a corresponding large production as a result.

I personally think star citizen has excellent community interaction, however there well inevitably be lots of controversy (like the fact on these all these expensive pledge ships will be available for free in game credits you earn through playing the game... 'this Is BS, I played 200 for that ship.. rage').
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Yup. The point I was trying to make is that no matter how large or small your game and its budget, no matter how awesome or poor your community management, any game and any game development company will pick up a small number of vocal detractors.

Also please don't ask me to read YouTube comments again ;)
  3. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

Added to wich, when people buy into a game via kickstarter you can square or even cube the sense of outrage/entitlement.

I've been thinking about this a lot and I think that the biggest problem was that uber was the first "million dollar" kickstarter. And as such they had a much steeper learning curb.
  4. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

No, you have planets with the moon biome.

I think the promise stuff came about because of livestreams, where Jon was expressing his every thought and people translated it into promises, rather than man with vision of what he wants to achieve.

Well, that and a certain influential community member who used their megaphone to misrepresent Uber on multiple forums on multiple occasions.
    xankar and cdrkf like this.
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The issue imho in the end was that the moment when he had to realize "this won't work out because good reasons" was not live streamed.
    ace63 and cwarner7264 like this.
  6. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

This played a major part in the big expectations everyone had for this game. There was tons of stuff being talked about which didn't end up in the game. People (including myself) still expected all this to end up in the release version of the game - and rightfully so, since Uber never made the effort to correct the false expectations until it was too late.
    I am still waiting for the day we see 3 levels of wreckage and multi-monitor setups (those are things I am very sure of were claimed would be in the game), but I am disillusioned now and don't expect anything on that front to happen.
    Remy561 likes this.
  7. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Really?? I'm pretty pissed about that too.
    Mainly because I thought Star Citizen was a way to show off your wallet by buying ridiculously expensive access to interactive models, and I'll be disappointed to hear that it won't be populated entirely by arrogant "self-made" business men and wall street traders in desperate need of a hobby. I wanted to see people leasing virtual hot rod spacecraft for $5000 a month in real money as a form of self-validation and competitive hob-nobbery. It was going to be the e-Sport of the century.
    ace63 likes this.
  8. cdrkf

Lol I don't think you followed my point... obviously the ships shouldn't be exclusive, however this is the internet we're talking about and I'm certain that's the sort of comment we're going to see on release....
  9. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

It´s a joke. Don´t you notice the sarcasm of the comment? xd
    tunsel11 likes this.
  10. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

pretty much shows how very oblivious a large part of the gamingcommunity is about developementbudgets and personal ... it´s like they are looking at the world from a map only ...
    cdrkf likes this.
  11. cdrkf

I felt the sarcasm was being directed at me.... although it's difficult to infer from text only :p
    tunsel11 likes this.
  12. wilhelmvx

wilhelmvx Member

Im kind of torn ....I think asteroids could be cool but it heavily depends how they are implemented.
    On top of that I feel there are features/things that might have higher priority.
  13. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

I don't know, feature wise we are not missing too much.
    Improvements on existing stuff, yes I can see me wanting improved terrain, a bigger unitpool and other stuff over asteroids.
  14. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

same. Though I guess a proper asteroid implementation would also profit a lot from better control of the height map of planets and then asteroids, so part of "asteroids" could be "improved height map controls".
  15. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

my general concern is still mid to lategame orbital and invasions ..
    i think we also need another neutral planet long range weapon besides nukes ..
    surfacevice there isn´t much left wanting but maybe some less conventional/fun units ...
  16. pjkon1

pjkon1 Member

Mid to late game orbital invasions will always be difficult to impossible in cases of similar metal as long as there is no way to move large amounts of metal efficient AA between planets without taking it through the enemy's air layer while helpless. Clearing a landing zone with a nuke or even an asteroid is useless if it can be de-cleared by the enemy air force seconds later. The best we have right now is the metal inefficient phoenix, and even if we buffed that the entire late game interplanetary would devolve into who could spam the most of that one unit needed to cover or defeat all interplanetary invasions.