Anita Sarkeesian is becoming the new Jack Thompson

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by tehtrekd, June 17, 2015.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Perefectly true.
  2. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

I mean I was probably coming across overly-harsh to you Geers, sorry about that. I just don't understand this need to paint a woman's opinions as fake or manufactured simply because we might disagree with them.

And for the record, I don't agree with her all the time. Simply some of the time. But that's the wonder about opinions :D
    Geers likes this.
  3. Geers

Geers Post Master General

That's someone's opinion, on her opinion! :p.

Like I said, I think people are just sick of hearing about the "Violence in video games makes you evil" thing and Twitter is quite possibly THE WORST PLACE IN THE WORLD to express an opinion, especially on such a wide and complex topic.

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But that doesn't mean everyone else wants to hear it" - Geers 2015.

That sounds kinda dickish... But don't take it too seriously, it's just my opinion man!
    Gorbles likes this.
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

It's not the need to paint a woman's opinions as fake, but a person's opinions as fake. We'd have the same feelings no matter the sex.

Personally I know her opinions aren't fake, but they're skewed, and wrong quiiiite a bit. Misunderstanding the world.

What I mean by this is you made it out that everyone in this thread is sexist off the sole fact they disagree with her, when I'm certain many here are progressive. Again there was no reason to bring her gender into it, we don't disagree with her gender, we disagree with her opinions.
  5. Gorbles

She is a woman. You're the one who brought up sexism.

Additionally, you can be progressive and still be bigoted in some way. The progressive label doesn't render you perfect.

And finally, an opinion cannot be wrong. We all have opinions. Facts are right, and lies are wrong. Opinions can align with either, and you telling her that hers are wrong or misguided means absolutely nothing because the exact same logic can be turned around on you.
  6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I brought up sexism because you felt the need to clarify she was a woman when there was no need. She's a person with an opinion, that's all that matters.

Edit: My bad if I simply misunderstood, it just felt as if you were making it out to be that they were doing this because she was a woman, and not because they disagreed with her opinions.

Exactly what I'm saying, I'm telling you that in my opinion her opinions are wrong. I just didn't say "in my opinion" because it's implied in language when speaking of anything that isn't objective. So you cannot tell me her opinion can't be wrong because that's just my opinion!

Don't you love these silly loops? xP
    Last edited: June 20, 2015
    Gorbles and arseface like this.
  7. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

seemed like a pretty conventional use of the word "woman" to me :rolleyes:
  8. Gorbles

I've been going on about going in circles for ages - check my posts :p
    squishypon3 likes this.
  9. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

She's not calling for the game to be banned and at the end of the day she's just a person making videos and tweets on the internet. This isn't Jack Thompson levels of persistently trying to abuse the legal system to ban something you don't like. If the backlash wasn't so MASSIVE then she'd have made her series, some people would've been "Eh, I didn't like that" (because it's actually possible to have discussion on things you don't like instead of screaming angry lunacy) and that would've been the end of it.
    Gorbles likes this.