1. zachthebomb13

zachthebomb13 Member

Hey all, just started playing a little single player again, and noticed something strange. Whenever I build a defensive unit, it won't show me it's range. The radars also don't show me their range. If I remember correctly, they used to do this (but it's been a long time since I've played). I do have all my graphic settings turned all the way down, because I'm playing on my laptop that isn't that powerful. Is there a setting I need to make sure is on so I can see the range? Or has the range just been taken out? Thanks all!
  2. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Do you have any mods installed?
  3. zachthebomb13

zachthebomb13 Member

Nope, plain vanilla.
  4. zachthebomb13

zachthebomb13 Member

I'm also playing offline, if that matters.
  5. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Can you see the range before placing the unit?
    I'm able to see the range before it's built and after it's built. In Settings, there isn't a setting for seeing the range.

Out of curiosity, are your graphics drivers up to date?
  6. zachthebomb13

zachthebomb13 Member

I can't see the range in either instance. I'm not sure about the graphics driver. I'll see. Another interesting thing that happens is when I choose my location at the beginning of the game, it should have a big yellow circle, or something like that. But, on my computer it doesn't. It just shows a number. I was assuming that the two problems are related.
  7. zachthebomb13

zachthebomb13 Member

Stupid computer won't let me update my graphics driver. I guess I'll just live with it. It's not a deal breaker, just a nice to have...
  8. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Can you post a DX Diag, we might be able to help sort out the graphics driver related bug... out of interest are you playing on a laptop? If so you usually *can* update the drivers, it's just a bit tricky...
  9. zachthebomb13

zachthebomb13 Member

I'm not sure how to do a dx diag. I am playing on a laptop. I'm also fairly computer savvy and usually can figure these things out. I may be able to get it to work eventually, just don't want to go through the effort right now.

When I went to update the driver manually, it said there was an issue updating it. My computer has been having little random issues lately. I'd wipe it and start over, I'm just waiting for windows 10 to hit, since I plan on wiping then anyways.
    cdrkf likes this.
  10. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

You can create one by pressing <WinKey>+R, typing "dxdiag", and pressing "Save All Information...". You can upload the resulting file here by using the "Upload a File" button on this forum.
  11. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well DxDiag is easy, just go to the search box and type 'dxdiag' and press enter. It will give you detailed info on all your hardware and driver versions installed, quite interesting to look at if you like hardware... There's an option to output all the info to a text file.

Usually the solution is to manually instal the driver through device manager rather than rely on the precompiled driver package, although sounds like you've already tried that? At any rate, at least the game is working.
  12. zachthebomb13

zachthebomb13 Member

That is true, at least it is working. I knew that this computer would be a stretch to get it to work, and I'm glad that it is, especially offline play. One day I'll get something nicer, once I finish school and get a good job. Speaking of, anyone hiring? BBA in Entrepreneurial Management with a minor in Marketing. Will move almost anywhere... :)

Here is my DxDiag.

Attached Files:

13. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

ow

your drivers are more than 3 years old, try this
  14. zachthebomb13

zachthebomb13 Member

Ya, I know, right! Stupid HP not letting me update my drivers... I'll try that link.
  15. DeathByDenim

If that doesn't work due to issues about the driver not being validated, try downloading the .zip directly from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24973/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-8-1-64-bit
    And then follow the instructions here:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/2/558749190911446231/

Laptop drivers are notorious for being hard to update...
    mkrater likes this.
  16. zachthebomb13

zachthebomb13 Member

HA! I got it to work. It didn't like the "newest" driver, so I used the one from a couple months ago, and it installed with no problems. Then, I jumped into the game and all is working like it's supposed to. Thanks for the help guys!
    devoh, Nicb1, cdrkf and 1 other person like this.
  17. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

If you'd like, you could try to update it again, it may have been a bug with the old driver being SO outdated. Also if you have any HP software that isn't for your trackpad, keyboard or camera, kill it.
  18. DeathByDenim

If it's not broken, don't fix it. :p
    Nicb1 and websterx01 like this.
  19. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

I love reading stories of the community being able to help get people up and running. Kudo's
    tunsel11 and mkrater like this.