One uber account, multiple keys

Discussion in 'Support!' started by ragnarok89, June 19, 2015.

1. ragnarok89

ragnarok89 Member

Hi All,

I have a really simple question, which for the life of me, I can't figure out. I bought a beta key way back when, and still play PA often. I showed it to my brother recently, and he was really impressed; so I want to purchase a second key so we can do some multiplayer. So, if I buy a second key under my account, how does that work? When I launch the game, I log in with my existing username and password; what would my brother log in with?

Thanks.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Hmm, I think this one needs @mkrater to answer.

Personally I'd suggest you create a new Uber account, then purchase under that one (and give your brother the new login details). That said you do know that you and he can play PA over lan together with just your account?
  3. ragnarok89

ragnarok89 Member

We can? How do we do that? It's my understanding that we need to have pretty good specs on our PCs to play offline. What lobby would we connect to, and how would we do that? Thanks for the info cdrkf.
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Ok so for offline play you *officially* need: quad core cpu, 8gb of ram, *however* if you had less ram (e.g. 6gb) it should still work, you'll just need to force the offline mode by going into the settings, 'local server' and change the option from 'auto' to 'on'.

Make sure *both machines* have that option enabled for lan (although only 1 machine will actually run the server, whoever is set up as host, so do that on the most powerful computer).

To run a lan game:
    Make sure PA is installed using the Uber laucher on both machines.

On the uber launcher on the first machine (the one you want to be server), type in *only a name* in the login box and you should get the 'play offline' option appear. Use that to run PA.

In game, go into the 'mutiplayer' menu (again without logging in) and host a game. Note if your machine doesn't have much ram keep it to a single planet to start with, as you need memory for both the client and server on host.

On the second machine, fire up the uber laucher, and type in *a different name* into the login box and again no password, and run in offline mode.

Once in game, go into the multi player menu and you should be able to browse for custom games. Provided both machines are connected to the same network* then you should be able to see and join the game you set up on the first machine :)

*some notes on the network requirements, you both need to be on the same network *and* the same subnet mask, that essentially means the same type of connection i.e. both connected via a lan cable, or both connected via wifi. If one machine is cabled and the other on wifi they won't see each other (which was a problem I ran into, thankfully there is a mod available on PAMM that allows you to point PA directly to the other machine if that is a problem for you).

It should also be possible to do with the Steam version but honestly I don't know how to go about it.

Edit: Also worth noting, when playing like this you *can't join public multi player games*. This will just allow you to play against each other, or co-op against the AI. You can also use Galactic war in offline mode and as an added bonus *all commanders* are available so you can play around with all the premium ones if you like.

If your bother gets on with it, then I'd recommend getting a key, just thought this would be a nice way to try it out.
    Clopse likes this.
  5. ragnarok89

ragnarok89 Member

cdrkf,

I'll try all that out momentarily. Sincerely, thanks for taking the time to lay it all out for me. I've spent hours trying to figure this out, and I really appreciate your help.
    cdrkf and Clopse like this.
  6. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Also, I'd like to mention that if you don't mind Steam, there is a 85% discount on PA right now:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/233250/
    So your brother can pick up the game for CDN$ 4.94
    There are only 2.5 hours left for that sale though...
    (With his own copy, you can both play on-line as a team against other humans for example)
    cdrkf likes this.
  7. ragnarok89

ragnarok89 Member

DbD,

We bought the steam key with 23 minutes left in the sale... Thanks for the heads up! My brother and I can play anytime now.
    DeathByDenim likes this.