Sorian AI

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by tatsujb, June 18, 2015.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Paging @Sorian.

I understand you may be busy as of now but I'd like to know if you still feel some love for your baby of olden times?

people on FAF (and well ANYONE playing sup com or FA) continue to use your mod to this day.

FAF has what I wager is 200 000 active users with regular peaks of 1000 simultaneous users.

and basically all of those people use sorian AI (either on a day-today basis or have at least once) and are wanting to take improving sorian into their own hands : http://forums.faforever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10078

the things they want to change may come off as really trivial to you, I don't know :
    1. they want to make it take into account shields having been nerfed and no longer overlapping and as such not being efficient when not spaced out. (shield assist is also a new nifty technique but mostly building more shields stays better)
    2. they want to make it utilize the latest Black Ops version. The only major thing that deserves a change is the ridiculous hydro upgrade (yes the hydro upgrades in BO x'D ) that isn't used at all by sorian AI.

they posed such questions as : "is the code closed?"

given how much progress you've made in the domain of coding AI you must now look at this old project of yours very differently than you once did. But a minute of your time on it would probably galvanize and spread joy to hundreds of thousands.

Anyways I hope it livens your day and makes you smile to think of all those people currently using your mod, and having a blast thanks to you.

I certainly owe you my thanks.
    Last edited: June 18, 2015
  2. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

That AI is one of those things that stay in my never ever delete folder, so yeah, I still have love for it.
    stuart98, cdrkf, squishypon3 and 5 others like this.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

would you consider giving it a ennie-wennie-tiny update? :)

anything would do. just one tiny change to a structure use to show people you're still there.

is the code really closed source?
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

how would a mod ever be closed source?
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Minecraft Forestry.

I do hope you mean a backup hard drive and on the cloud, right?
  6. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Counterstrike?
  7. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Pretty sure it is part of my backups. Will have to double check.

Closed source? It is Lua. Kinda hard to close source that.
    stuart98, tatsujb and cdrkf like this.
  8. aware

aware New Member

Hello Sorian ...it is an Honor to meet the man that gave me the tools to create some amazing Co-Op Human verses AI battles. I have been recommending your AI since back in the GpG days. There was a general complaint about slow 'game speed' that prevented many people enjoying the capabilities of your AI.

The improvement in computers and FAF's updates are making your AI more popular as players see no sim slowdown at all.

Finally the machine's body does not constrain the Sorian AI's virtual brain. Hehe

A big thankyou from me and the TeamPlay_AI testing teams here at FAF.