Going to France - need advice on mobile internet

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by LennardF1989, June 2, 2015.

1. LennardF1989

LennardF1989 Uber Contractor

Heya,

I'm off to France for two week in two weeks from now, and from past experiences I know that getting internet on the campings is either a) craptastic b) ******* expensive c) both.

I was wondering if any French people here can point me into the direction of a cheap French prepaid provider that offers internet per X MB for a nominal fee. Anything better than 5 euros per 4 hours of internet...

Thanks!
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I don't remember if it's a French company or not but Amaysim came into Australia from somewhere and I think their deals are pretty good.

Not that I actually know anything that's specifically helpful BUT TRYING IS WHAT COUNTS!
  3. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Been there once and the camping I visited had great free wifi ^^ But I understand your problem from other vacation experiences :p
  4. LennardF1989

5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

two weeks huh, sounds neat!

you can get Free. In france we don't really make the distinction between prepaid and contractual since contractual with any sort of engagement kinda died out. you can end it at any given time.

and you have the choice to order it for just a month.
    [​IMG]
    See Valentine corp in Kingsman? nothing new for us french. Similar deal happened awhile ago.

Free made all calls and texto unlimited for two € a month and threw in 50Mb of 3G/4G internet with the deal.

if they are your ISP it's 0€

and what's great is that you can order your sim and convert your old number simultaneously from internet.

Needless to say with the prices that were being thrown around at the time it was a black friday to get one of those sim cards.

because this is still somewhat fresh I'd say they still have some issues with 3G/4G not being as fast as the other services.

And they have a reputation of having a very bad service in Paris in particular so it also depends where you're going.

Our four sim providers are Free, SFR, Bouyges, and Orange.

Sfr is solid and drives good prices. Orange and Bouyges can be a bit more pricey, all depending.

https://boutique.orange.fr/mobile/forfaits-orange
    https://www.bouyguestelecom.fr/forfaits-mobiles/forfaits-sans-engagement
    http://www.sfr.fr/forfait-mobile/of...nav_mob_forfaits&sfrclicid=X_nav_mob_forfaits
    http://mobile.free.fr/

I dunno. If you're willing to risk less internet service, than free seems like the least hassle and the best offer.

each of them allow you to order for one month only if you want. Just plan ahead so they can make and ship your sim card.

Since American phones are triband your phone should work on french soil (it's us that have to buy new phones when travelling) :p
    Last edited: June 3, 2015
    websterx01 likes this.
  6. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

Problem with Free is to get the SIM.
    Depending on where you live Lennard you can have problems to receive it.
    Also i heard that they have problems to activate SIMs in roaming, so might not manage to make it work before you reach France.
    Pre-paid cards are a pain for Internet, i would recommand to try to stick to wifi whenever you can.
    Just go to a tobacco shop, and you'll find a good bunch of pre-paid offers.

Also your provider may propose you a special offer too. Check it, might not be too expensive !
    tatsujb likes this.
  7. LennardF1989

Problem with contractual stuff in France is they usually require a French creditcard. I'm from the Netherlands btw.
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

they do? not as far as I'm aware.

weird.
    I'd give it a shot as their's no risk.
  9. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Last time I camped in France I basically just bounced from one wifi spot to another