Deeper integration with Steam?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by coldboot, June 2, 2015.

1. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

It would be nice if I could right-click on a player's name in-game in Planetary Annihilation, and click "Add as Steam friend", so I don't have to ask someone, then search, and so on.

I'm not sure if this is possible, but some other way to be able to easily add PA friends to Steam, so you can easily tell when your friends are playing. This is possible since Steam is so ubiquitous on people's machines.

You could turn this on by default, and let players disable it if they have some reason to hide their Steam account from PA players.

The Steam integration of Dota 2, even though I don't really like that game, is quite nice.
  2. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

With deeper Steam integration, it would make it easier for people to arrange games and play with their friends, which will get people talking about the game more. I think somehow it could help drive more advocacy, and ultimately, sales for the game.
    whisperr, sgrock and tenaciousc like this.
  3. elvisior

elvisior Member

I agree 10000000% ... the lack of steam integration is ridiculous... I'd love to be able to invite friends to have a game (that are currently playing some other steam game)...
  4. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

[​IMG]
    Gorbles, elodea, squishypon3 and 4 others like this.
  5. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

lol :D

Seriously though, this is a good suggestion. Good steam integration, particularly with Steam Friends, would be great.
  6. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

not everone plays games on steam and i sure as hell don´t plan to convert my key to a steamkey

in that case BETTER LOBBIES !!!!
    show a list of ALL players online both steam AND uberlauncher
    Nicb1, xankar and killerkiwijuice like this.
  7. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Yes since I am a steam lover, but no because full steam integration only means serving a part of the community. Alias leaving a better game for the steam players while this game was marketed and directed as DRM free. Also, it could take a lot of work to fully integrate their systems into steam which time is better spend on features serving all of the players ;)
    MrTBSC likes this.
  8. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

You're in the overwhelming minority. It's not 2004 anymore.
  9. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

and? colorblind are a minority too, does that make it ok to leave them out?
  10. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

You know, it's rather odd to make claims like that without any statistics whatsoever to back it up. At least I assume you don't have access to Uber's statistics. In which case, it's based on feelings alone. I could just as easily claim "You're in the overwhelming minority. It's not 2004 anymore. People are starting to realize the dangers of DRM."
    So just be careful with statements like that.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  11. wilhelmvx

wilhelmvx Member

I like numbers ...(even though my gut feeling says steam purchases are the majority)

That being said while I think it would be neat, I really think there are more important features.
  12. elvisior

elvisior Member

Right this second there are about 6 million users online on steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Versus ... 60 players I can see in the lobbies either waiting or playing a game of PA.

I didn't back this game in order to reinvent the wheel that is steam. If this had of been mentioned in the kickstarter I wouldn't have backed at the level I did because I think it's ridiculous.
    sgrock likes this.
  13. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

You wouldn't have backed an rts title because it didn't integrate an invite system for another companies software distribution system?

The level of hand holding players expect these days is crazy.
    Nicb1 and stuart98 like this.