Little question about the unit canon design ...

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by doud, June 1, 2015.

1. doud

doud Well-Known Member

For sure i love the unit canon being in the game. We've been claiming for it for so long, thinking that we would never get, and ... we got it. Now, i must admit i used to love a lot the original unit canon design. So was just wondering about what are the exact reasons why we did not get the former unit canon design, and if there was a slight change to have this so beautifull former design one day.
    Thanks !
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i don't realy care much about the design lookwise ... but i would have rather liked the unitcannon to be loadable by the units you build from factories than be its own factory ....
    i don't think the unitcannon would have turned the teleporter obsolete ..
    but well ...
    Last edited: June 1, 2015
    stuart98 and tatsujb like this.
  3. tenaciousc

tenaciousc Active Member

I would simply like to know what's in the unit cannon.
    ArchieBuld, warrenkc and sgrock like this.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

thisssssssss.....................
    warrenkc and stuart98 like this.
  5. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

The problem was that the original visions position has been taken by the teleporter and they wanted the Unit Cannon to be different in function than the teleporter. Although the unit cannon could easily be used as a T1 teleporter, whereas the teleporter could have been moved to T2. I find it strange that the unit cannon can only make certain units from both T2 factories. But being made this way might be the only way to balance it right since you cannot easily translate yes/no for unit armies for which units can be launched with a unit cannon.
  6. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

.........maybe units?...and a cannon?
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  7. Spriggan43

Spriggan43 Active Member

I would like too see the rails extend out before firing, that's the only problem I have with the design.
    elvisior and doud like this.
  8. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

the occasional piece that I still have no idea where it goes
    g0hstreaper likes this.
  9. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

Where are the pics bro?

I've come all the way into this thread and now the only opinion I can offer is a cutting one that nobody wants to read.
  10. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

the teleporter is more risky and limited to be used also requires an exitgate to work in the first place as were with the unitcannon you can send units anywhere without needing to build anything on the enemy front or territory
    it makes only sense to have the UC on t2 ...
  11. Crembels

Crembels Member

IIRC, Mavor told us there was problems with the idea of having a unit go from 2 separate individuals, merge to 1, and then separate again.

Conceptually, the teleporter circumvents orbital flight paths to flick units at light-speed from point A to point B (we can see that happen with how the icons move and how they reveal Fog of War for a brief instant), but i think the same reason we don't have multi-unit transports is the same thing that tripped up the original unit cannon design.

The current design probably has some workaround that treats the cannon and the completed unit on their building bay as a single entity (im willing to bet that you cannot destroy the finished unit and cannon separately like with the other factories, perhaps not even while its being constructed), and after the firing animation just spawns the unit when the pod lands; a unit that never existed anywhere else until the instant the pod hit the ground. All elaborate coding trickery and animation-based smoke and mirrors.

I of course know nothing about how the actually did it, but that's my theory.
  12. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

But the UC can take a lot of time, but worth that advantage indeed ;)
  13. kayonsmit101

kayonsmit101 Active Member

I don't mind how the unit cannon works, the actual building could have looked better IMO. If any changes are needed, it's the ability to see how many units are built and ready to fire. Also an area command for launching multiple cannons could be nice...
    tenaciousc likes this.
  14. tenaciousc

tenaciousc Active Member

I know you are joking but you actually made my point. Maybe units? Maybe not? After you have the cannon build some units you can't see if there are any units in it, what they are or how many. If you have five unit cannons and each builds a specific unit for a specific purpose to be launched to a specific place, I hope you have a good memory because there's no telling what each cannon built.
    tatsujb likes this.
  15. tenaciousc

tenaciousc Active Member

Anyone know if Uber has mentioned what I asked about? About being able to see what units have been built in a Unit Cannon? If not, Uber, are there any plans to make the Unit Cannon display what units are contained inside it? If not, can you change your plans? :)
    tatsujb, kayonsmit101, ace63 and 2 others like this.
  16. daTomas

daTomas Member

+1
    tenaciousc and Spriggan43 like this.
  17. Spriggan43

Spriggan43 Active Member

+2
    tenaciousc likes this.
  18. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

I've no idea how they justified moving onto the next project without getting this sorted.

+3
    ace63 likes this.
  19. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

+4
    This is a major design flaw in the UI
  20. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

To be honest, I think I could cope with a simple indicator that notes how many slots are full. Anything really to indicate the thing is ready (you should be able to remember what your queued up imo, however if you build lots of UC's it's difficult to tell if they are full, idle or empty)...
    kayonsmit101, daTomas and Planktum like this.