Low Frames on Title Screen

Discussion in 'Support!' started by SquirrelCover, May 27, 2015.

1. Ralith

Ralith Member

I also have a GTX 970 (2 in SLI) and have incredibly low framerates from Coherent UI (while the game itself runs fine).
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

maybe try to disable one of the cards? I think in the past there have been issues with SLI
  3. SquirrelCover

SquirrelCover New Member

Question 2: Where would this be located? As I stated before, I'm not good with BIOS.

Also, any other ideas that may be hurting it?
  4. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

From Internet searches, I gather that for AMD it's called "AMD Cool'n'Quiet" and "C1E Support". See if you can find those in your BIOS and try disabling them to see if that helps. If it doesn't, set them back to their original values.
  5. SquirrelCover

SquirrelCover New Member

I couldn't find C1E support, but I disabled Cool 'n' Quiet. Didn't help, though.
    Correction: I get 10 - 13 fps where 9 - 10 was, so it's a step in the right direction, I guess?
  6. DeathByDenim

Yeah, I suppose. Not quite stellar though... Blegh, sorry this is such a hassle for you...

Well, could you try running the sfc tool. It's a tool that comes with Windows and it checks (and repairs) all of the system files. Maybe it is able to find something. Instructions are here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/929833
  7. SquirrelCover

SquirrelCover New Member

Alright, I finally figured out how to get PA to function; simply by running x86 instead of x64. That being said, does anyone know of a way to get Steam to launch x86 instead of x64?

I thank any and all who helped me with this problem.
  8. DeathByDenim

You don't really want to do that though, as the x86 version is meant for 32-bit computers. That means it can only ever use 3.2 GB or RAM instead of your full 8 GB.

However, that's a really interesting find. That means that the x64 binary is not listed in some exception list, while the x86 is. Possibly the other way around. So, question: When you start a game with the x64 binary, can you press <Ctrl>+P repeatedly and say what the fps are for client, sim, and server?

And is there any software that you can think of that may interfere with network connections or graphics, such as firewalls and virus scanner or programs like Afterburner?
  9. SquirrelCover

SquirrelCover New Member

Uh...client floats around 9 fps, and I don't see Sim or Server.

As for other software, I have TotalDefense, but I've cleared PA to run. Maybe it didn't save that clearance?
  10. SquirrelCover

SquirrelCover New Member

Uh...addendum...it's fixed itself. Not sure why, how, or what happened, but I'm getting 100+ fps in the menus now. So...that's weird...
    cdrkf and mkrater like this.
  11. DeathByDenim

Hope it's not a one-time thing again... Yeah, weird.
  12. SquirrelCover

SquirrelCover New Member

Hello, everyone. Unfortunately I have returned with ill tidings.

My game, after a while of running nominally, it has begun running poorly again. A trip to Task Manager / Processes has shown that CoherentUI_Host.exe*32 is running seven times in the background.
    Is this normal? I never thought to check while it was running normally.
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Yes, the UI works similar to chrome, it basically has multiple browser tabs open.
  14. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Here's a thought, I had problems with pa dropping drastically in fps a while ago. It turned out that the cpu was getting too warm due to insufficient air flow in my case, which on amd cpus triggers a defence mechanisms that drastically drops the clock speed (in my case from 4ghz to 1.4) which in turn drops performance to single digit fps.

Do you have a tool to check the cpu temp when in game?
  15. SquirrelCover

SquirrelCover New Member

I believe my CPU Temperature is fine, I run much more demanding games just fine. It only seems to happen to a select few games. Lethal League, Multiwinia are two that come to mind.
  16. SquirrelCover

SquirrelCover New Member

Hey, everyone! After taking a break from PA, I've run across a strange solution; launching the x86 version of the game, starting a match, and then launching the x64 version seems to make the game more co-operative, and boosts my frames up to 70+. What confuses me, though, is that I HAVE to launch x86, get into a match, and then launch x64 (closing the x86 afterwards). Can anyone make heads or tails of this?

Thank you in advance,
    ~S.
    cdrkf likes this.
  17. DeathByDenim

That's quite bizarre. Does this also work if you do the same thing, but with the x64 version instead of the x86? (So basically running two copies of the same PA executable).
  18. SquirrelCover

SquirrelCover New Member

Hello all! I'm back from poking and prodding at the Planetary Annihilation inner workings, with a shocking revelation! Upgrading to Windows 10 solved the problems, but created a new one. Now, I know this isn't the place for it, but I've got to ask; does anyone know how to fix Windows 10 so that it will actually "see" wireless hotspots? If I upgrade to windows 10 (something I've done three times now. I'm back on 7 while posting this), I can't connect to the internet, wireless or wired. Again, this probably isn't the place for it, but I was just wandering if anyone could answer this.

Thank you in advance,
    ~S.