What do you want to see in a tournament? #Hearts #Rainbows #TooGirly? #DontJudgeTheHash

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by violetania, May 18, 2015.

1. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

If the prize money is so high people will exploit this. $50 top prize and maybe auto pair teams up with someone in the same time zone. Unless it's a legitimate pair, players than have played over 20 games on their account over the past few months or something. Again a lot of holes to jump through for your first tourney.
    Quitch likes this.
  2. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

True wouldn't add money prizes for a pro-am, or rather silly ones.
  3. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Get quotes on t shirts and stuff like that? would be a cool first prize for a pro am, pair of t shirts for winning team that's exclusive!
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. violetania

violetania Well-Known Member

Okay i know i just got grilled about not listening to people (#acertainsomeone =P) buuuuuut..... the pa community is small and it's a team so all 3 people would have to agree to cheating which... somehow i don't think people are desperate enough, i mean if the prize was 100, they'd only get 33 each right???? I thought about auto pairing when you first mentioned the smurfing issue but i don't know how people will take it? (i guess if the prize is high enough people won't care? haha)

That and a few of the top players won't actually play unless there's a decent amount of money in the tourny so even a pro-am ones, i was lucky enough to get trained by clopse for a bit, the more top players there are, the more people will get trained by decent players i think? But i'll definetly consider what you guys have to say.

Also i was thinking of having little things engraved for the small prizes, but i'll look into shirts (because sizing might be a problem) Hahaha ^^ (Though i'm not sure how much people would want a rainbow and hearts themed shirt ;P)
    cdrkf likes this.
  5. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Wrong.
    Clopse and dom314 like this.
  6. violetania

You always think the worst of people </3 *hugs* The world really isn't a dog eat dog world you know ^^ <3
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Some might cheat, I think the majority of the well known players wouldn't but the more money involved the more risk.

The best solution for a pro am would be to specify a minimum number of ladder games for all players to help verify their accounts. It's possible someone could cheat but this makes it harder.

The next question is where do you draw line of pro and am? Personally I think anyone in plat and above (top 50 ish players?) Count as pro and must be paired with gold and lower players. That keeps things simple....
  8. lordathon

lordathon Active Member

For me the great team size is 3vs3 or 4vs4 (but i know, at the moment its really hard to have enough team of 4 man....). So if you do a 3vs3 tournament violet that will be fun :)

And if you do a pro-am, i need to start now to found french speaker players who aren't uber/plat... *impossible*
  9. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Student with limited financial responsibilities detected :)
    stuart98, dom314, cdrkf and 1 other person like this.
  10. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

@clopse is so wise
    stuart98 and dom314 like this.
  11. violetania

@Quitch i'm a full time student, i shouldn't have to have any responsibilities, what? =P Do people expect me to work full time as well as study full time?

@neptunio so modest!
    neptunio likes this.
  12. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

Always
    dom314 likes this.
  13. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Cheat at what, or how exactly? =o (sorry late to the convo and confused)
  14. Geers

Geers Post Master General

stuart98 likes this.
  15. cdrkf

We're talking about a PRO-AM style tourney with a decent prize pool

The concern is that some higher level players would create a new account to make themselves appear to be an amateur, then team up with one of the other top players in order to get an advantage.

hence the suggestion that all participants need to have a number of ladder games against their accounts to prove they are real and not 'smurf' accounts. To be honest I think most of the top players are quite well known, and honourable enough not to smurf in a PRO-AM event, but I might be wrong I....
  16. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

[​IMG]

Never Smurf, kids!
    stuart98, squishypon3 and cdrkf like this.
  17. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Oh lord that bulge... It's like Tony Abbott's budgie smugglers all over again.
  18. cdrkf

He's obviously a 'crotch stuffer' :p
  19. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

I'd like to see an amateurs rank; no one who ever ranked above Gold allowed in :)
    cdrkf likes this.
  20. cdrkf

Yeah that's the idea of Pro-Am... amateurs are players ranked Gold and lower. Pro is Plat / Uber....