Is this game dead?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by atharol, May 17, 2015.

1. atharol

atharol Member

Like the title says,

Havent seen any new updates with new contents added to the game since the submarines?
    Takes so extremly long time to get something new into the game so all the games you play feel like its the same..

Bug fixes is good yes, But theres no focus on adding new content at all to this game makes it booring.

Ive heard that Uber Entertainment was trying to focus on a new game human resources
    A great project! but it was thrown into the garbage can later on..

So what are Uber Entertainment really focus on? since its obviously not Planetary Annihilation anymore..
  2. jomiz

jomiz Active Member

Nicb1 likes this.
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Not dead.

But there hasn't really been a lot of stuff preventing it from dying.
    Nicb1 and Remy561 like this.
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

still alive ... might continue to ...
  5. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Save/load? Chrono resume? Updates to Galactic War and asteroids are planned for June/July. Not to mention that the game being dead != whether content updates are happening.

So is your question whether the game is dead, or whether it has been abandoned? The answer to both is no.
  6. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

The answer to the first one is definitely no.

The answer to the second question is more or less a "depends". Has it been completely abandoned? No, there are still a few devs left.

But about all of the original heads of the project have abandoned the project. Development continues only with a minimal set of developers. Still enough to provide support, to fix urgent bugs and to complete at least some of the long planed and prepared features such as "resume from everywhere", but nowhere enough to tackle challenges like proper support for mods, or to spend any time on polishing existing features.

Roadmap for the next half year? Bugfixes, mostly bugfixes.

At the current pace, and giving the upcoming series of CONs, it's not going to be before winter that we will see any improvements to gameplay, which could possibly make the game actually more interesting or comfortable to play.
    lordathon and stuart98 like this.
  7. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

So no then, it hasn't been abandoned.
    stuart98 likes this.
  8. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

It feels dead because the save and load features don't add that much feature wise, but require an awful lot of work to get implemented this late into the game development. Also, I think that they cut on dev's working on PA a lot, like from the 30 people team before launch to something like a 5 to 8 man team now. So yeah, things go slowly now a big feature is being worked upon.
    stuart98 likes this.
  9. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I swear to god, I need to stop eating while browsing these forums, I lose my appetite every time I see your new avatar.
  10. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

It would be nice if they introduced a few new units every now and again. Worried about them not being balanced? No problem... make them 20% worse than they should be and players will use them to kill you as a display of status.

It's no fun to be told that the core game will remain the same for the foreseeable future.
  11. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

You can call it dead or you can call it finished as someone did in another thread. Finished sounds less tragic.
    Anyway neither dead nor finished.

PA is a very resource intensive game so maybe it gets to a wider public in the future
  12. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

No :)
    cdrkf likes this.
  13. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

You is jesting, right?...This game's got more 'legs' than a millipede.
  14. nateious

nateious Active Member

Geers, cola_colin and lorodion like this.
  15. lafncow

lafncow Active Member

...and believe me, I am still alive. I'm doing science and I am still alive. I feel fantastic and I am still alive. Still alive.

ReddWolff likes this.
  16. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

In a word, no. In a much truer word,

lel i dnt know get rekt
  17. imperatorurist

imperatorurist Member

On its last breath, only a matter of time before people never bother buy it even though its being sold for under $5 in sales.
  18. sebovzeoueb

sebovzeoueb Active Member

I still believe in a possible future in which the game reaches a more finished state, or some amazing mod comes along, and the game really comes to life. I'm not sure whether it is dying, or just dormant. It seems to me that the number of games up has remained fairly consistent for a long time now, with some peaks during sales. I think almost throughout the whole lifespan of the game there have been 2-10 lobbies up at any time. I'm not sure that it's any more dead now than it ever has been.
    Remy561 and stuart98 like this.
  19. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

That could save it, indeed. But unfortunately, mod support in PA is rather ... limited.

You can tune balancing, the client side 2D UI is partially modifiable.

The meta builds for the AI are tweakable. Queries to the simulation state used for situational awareness are hard coded, and can't be improved.

Shaders can be modified the client, but the logic which calls the shaders, as well as most data storages are on lockdown.

You can add new unit models and textures, but the support for that isn't great.

New game modes are very difficult or even impossible to implement, since even server mods have no access at all to most parts of the simulation state.

Stuff like sound, all mechanics related to "who can see what", map geometry updates, and a lot more features are on a complete lockdown.
    stuart98 likes this.
  20. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Yeah, that's what I'm betting on.