Just got the game,

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by theniftybiscuit, May 20, 2015.

1. theniftybiscuit

theniftybiscuit New Member

Any tips for beginners?
    dom314 likes this.
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Sure. Guides:
    http://exodusesports.com/guides/
    http://pamatches.com/tutorials/

Install the PA Chat mod for a global chat built into PA itself, so you can directly ask questions, or play practise rounds. Mods are most easily install with PAMM.

Finally, the ChronoCam is your friend. Review games were you were beaten to a pulp and see what your opponent did differently. You can still chat with your opponent while reviewing the game by the way.
    zihuatanejo, s03g, cdrkf and 2 others like this.
  3. theniftybiscuit

Thanks. I know this sounds dumb but I was half way through downloading PAMM when I deleted it because I was too wary if it was a virus or something.
  4. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

It's great how the second piece of advise is to install a mod. Why don't they just fold it into standard? New players probably can't be arsed installing mods and 90% of them won't come to this forum to receive that advice.
    Remy561, ace63, Nicb1 and 2 others like this.
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Because Neutrino (A big dev in Uber Ent) thinks a global chat would be negative for the game. This isn't devs being lazy, it's just a design choice. (One I don't agree with, but whatever we have the mod so it's fine. :p )

Anyway with Minecraft and Skyrim and all that modding for a better experience has kind of become the norm.
    Nicb1 and tatsujb like this.
  6. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

Nifty name dude/dudette!, you are all set now :p
  7. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

actualy i realy like the areabuild
    cdrkf and squishypon3 like this.
  8. theniftybiscuit

9. violetania

violetania Well-Known Member

omg all the mods...he's going to be overwhelmed with all the new things like mini maps and hotbuild imo, if you have no background in rts... or little, perfect your economy, learn expand quickly and raid, learn what units counter certain units the best and don't build 10 fabbers at the start or rush t2. And you'll pretty much be in gold. gg =P
  10. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Indeed! All I use of those if Mines as Strips. :)
  11. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Welcome to PA mate!

Feel free to add me to your friends list, I'm 'Jaguar' in game - message me if you ever want some teaching games. In general you should find that the PA community is very friendly, and a good way to learn is asking for help! Many of us are willing to help rookies learn the game.

Beyond that though, search the forums and the subreddit for similar questions, a lot of text has already been written to help people new to the game. There's lots to learn but hopefully you can play some AI skirmish games and start having fun right away.

I'd highly recommend getting used to HotBuild 2 early on because it will really help your game; it makes it much quicker to issue commands and get things built. It also has some other features to help you filter selections of units.

Be sure to check out exodusesports.com, they have some great guides, particularly the 'skill pyramid' one :) Hint: economy is at the bottom of the pyramid! Learn the streaming economy system and the two resources :)
  12. theniftybiscuit

Thanks! :)

Are you on steam? That's how I got the game.
  13. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

I've been on Steam since I bought Half-Life 2! I'll pm you my username :)