What do you want to see in a tournament? #Hearts #Rainbows #TooGirly? #DontJudgeTheHash

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by violetania, May 18, 2015.

1. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Avatar factory wasn't so fun for the players. Maybe for the spectators, but it was pretty much like "why am i even here wasting this time".

*And yea, you could be the first tourney with 2nd and third place prize. Reduce first if you need to. And also, do dresses really cost $300? Jeez.
    cdrkf likes this.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

As my fiancee loves to point out 'its expensive being a girl...' (this is usually a build up to 'so can you buy it for me?') :p
  3. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Because DANCE PUPPETS DANCE, that's why ;)
  4. violetania

violetania Well-Known Member

@wpmarshall if quitch lets me cast part of the tournament (haven't asked yet, don't tell him because i still haven't found a way to word it which doesn't make me sound like a complete idiot).... i will be insisting all the casters use cam and i do like my tea and scones so there will be plenty of snacking =P

@elodea , you're an idiot..... >.> (no offence), dresses may go slightly under but it's generally above. Your Australian so you should know cue, alannah hill, ted baker, etc? And then if you want to go for smart casual there's ginger and smart, lover etc... which are past the 500 so i don't know where you get your figures from >.> It's the equivalent of you guys getting Boss O and Diesel??? I mean do you ever really see things under 200 at david jones? =P (Apart from the youth section and sale items, they don't count)

@clopse in what world is 20 a considerable amount of money??? PA requires a computer that's at least half decent so i'm pretty sure people.... i don't even know

@cwarner7264 if i could find ubers that are willing to train people, then maybe, but i'm trying to get Matiz and Neptunio among other people back and somehow i don't think they would care to teach =P But i'll keep that idea, thanks ^^
  5. cwarner7264

Send Neptunio my way - he melts like butter around me <3
    xankar and violetania like this.
  6. violetania

You must be better at trolling than he is if you can make such a person bow =P You have him on fb right? I'll maybe beg you to yell at him if i can't convince him there because he doesnt seem to respond to pa forums haha >.< ty <3
  7. cwarner7264

See this is why you're doing it wrong - you can't yell at him, you have to be gentle. He's a sensitive soul, easily frightened.
  8. violetania

Oh please, you should hear clopse and neptunio go on in fb chat.... flipping hell! So freaking adorable though.... I just realised you were trolling me... OMG WHY DOES EVERYONE *facedesk*
  9. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Watch out for that bruise on you forehead :p .
  10. cdrkf

@violetania you do know it's very possible to buy entire outfits without touching the big fashion brands, and in doing so save a lot of money. Not saying there is anything wrong with spending on clothes if you have the cash, though 300 does sound quite a bit (depending on exchange rates).

Also a prize of 20 dollars is a nice prize for a small event. I mean many players entered the last pro-am event with no prize pool at all.

Personally I'd suggest prizes as follows (in US dollars as that's fairly universally understood)...

Assuming a total pool of 300 and 3 player teams...
    3rd place 10 USD per player (30 total)
    2nd place 30 USD per player (90 total)
    grand prize 60 USD per player (180 total)

That gives much more incentive for teams to enter as much greater opportunity for a prize- it also means there would be an additional final to determine 3rd which could be fun to watch.

A large event like this would probably need to be broken into 2 parts though (main rounds one day, then the semi finals onwards on second?)...
    lordathon and Clopse like this.
  11. matizpl

matizpl Well-Known Member

I do RTS game coaching, for PA i'd say 8$ per hour :p anyone interested msg me, violetania we can actually set up my (streamed?) coaching as prizes for viewers or players who got knocked out early or whoever (PM me if you are interested)
    xankar and Alpha2546 like this.
  12. cdrkf

Yeah and I don't think charging your team mates to train for a Pro-Am tourney is really in the spirit of things, also who are the great PA players you've coached to justify your fee?

Now if you could take a current low level (e.g. Silver / Bronze) and train them up to the point they could win something like this, you'd have more argument to charge for coaching
  13. matizpl

matizpl Well-Known Member

In Starcraft 2 I used to coach liquid snute, I was a coach in sc2 prohouse in warsaw for 5 months and I led a polish team for half a year. I focus on starcraft 2 though, it was just random idea to do something in PA.
    http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Snute
    Obviously charging teammates is not good idea, it was general comment, although I will probably attend the tourney if it's 1v1 and not if its team tourney.
    Quitch likes this.
  14. elodea

elodea Post Master General

If he wants to charge, and they want to pay, that's business between them and not for anyone else to judge.

The whole point of coaching is to get someone to where they could win something

*Besides, he's saying $8 an hour. lol, thats like way below minimum wage for us.
  15. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i say if you realy like to have matches like then test them before and see if they don´t take to much time or become prone to the creteria i mentioned before ... surely everyone would love to see players duke it out on intresting systems and maps ... remember that annihilazor system for instance?
    but yea as said if you realy want multiplanetmatches test those systems were people don´t get too entrenched on a planet or decline into pure gameslowing spam ..
    you need to find a balance were it is both intresting to the players to play on but also have it be watchable by the audience ..
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
  16. cdrkf

Fair enough, I wasn't questioning your Starcraft rep btw- just saying they are 2 quite different games.

I'd actually be really interested to see if you could take a low level player and train them up to take on the best :p It could drum up some interest.

Also @elodea I wasn't criticizing the concept of paid coaching in general, I just thought it wasn't suitable in context of a team tourney (which Matiz says wasn't his thinking anyhow). I think some of the better players should offer some coaching if people are interested though, anything really to help generate more interest around PA imo. I think the regular coaching sessions @reptarking championed a while back were a great idea- perhaps in the summer (after exams) where more of the player-base are active we should look at doing more of that.

Also @matizpl, if your serious about recruiting paying trainees, maybe hosting a few streams with a little free time would be a good idea. Would be good advertising and could help some newer players....

Edit: Also I don't think coaching has to be offered solely by the very top players (they only have so much time). @violetania you'd be an excellent coach imo for players in the lower leagues as would most Gold + rated players.
    dom314 likes this.
  17. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

She already coaches people in her stream, and helps the noobies out a lot :p. So I concur :)
    violetania and cdrkf like this.
  18. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

So once im done training for my new job, i go from my hourly wage to a very nice salary, I will also in summer have saturdays off hopefully everyweek. Soo im planning on doing a weekly free to enter tournament for 50$. and possibly a big tournament once every three months. that is around 150-500 USD. I should have more money then i can constructively use on myself. so just throwing it to PA tournaments is not an issue.
    crizmess, cdrkf and xankar like this.
  19. violetania

@cdrkf you can't put a price on first impressions and presentation when it comes to real life =P Besides, my mother pays for my clothes so why do i care? On the other hand she doesn't paying for gaming stuff so I'm so poor in that department *tear* (rather illogical i think), and yea i was going for multiple prizes, i mean we all kinda know there are only 3 or so people that have a change at winning so yea =P
    Also, what dom said, i don't coach per se but i play games with people, tell them what they need to improve on then have follow up matches, to see how they've improved and what else they could do... I really don't think i'm good enough to coach though cause i'm sh*t! Like lets not even go into the recent list of people that have trashed me.... narah, shubi, ratax, elodea, clopse, the uber guy from VOW... *massive facedesk*

@matizpl $8? What currency? Polish or AUD??? Can you teach me how to beat elodea in KotP??? (Violet's secret admirer said he'd tell me who he is if i did >.< (also eldoea said he'd stop rejecting me if i did XD)) Sorry elodea, nothing personal, i'm just dying to find out who he is!!!! OMG!!!!!!

@MrTBSC dw, i'm absolutely anal about organisation, they will be well tested maps =P

@reptarking GO GANDALF! looking forward to it ^^

Anyways guys, i think we slightly sidetracked from the original point of the thread =P
    cdrkf likes this.
  20. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Cool another Pro-Am could be fun.
    cdrkf likes this.